OT: Refrigerator repair time!!

fini

Just complaining, I guess...

Yep, the ol' Norge (actually it's a 6-year-old Kenmore Trio Elite) has refused to keep my food cold. I spent yesterday cleaning the coils, internet researchin', and have come to the conclusion that (probably) the compressor is toast. Apparently not an uncommon problem with this model. So I decide to give Sears repair a call. I try setting up a repair call with robo-rep, but they wanted me to wait until Wednesday. So I opted for a real person, who set me up for tomorrow morning. She presented me with a choice: I could either pay $75 and have a tech come out and tell me what's wrong and how much the repair itself would cost, or commit right then to a $252 repair charge which included any repairs, parts and labor, totalling $500 or less, AND an extended 1-year warrantee. Since the suspect compressor itself goes for $300, I decided the $252 sounded OK.

Last night I moved a lot of perishables to ice-filled coolers. Now I need to go through the freezer...Good thing I didn't yet spring for the $5/lb whole rib eye on sale at the grocery store!!

• Moderators

I would think your better off with the deal you took.

That happened to us about 5 years ago, I hate when that happens, it's one of those things that you take for granted and when they go out you realize how much you depend on them.

We just had to buy another one, the one we had was to old, and a cheaper model to put any money into.

Good luck.

No offense but what kind of choice is that? Whatever happened to just fixing it for what it really costs? So it's $75.00 to diagnose......then fix it for whatever it costs in addition?...........or gamble and pay $252 for the unknown. A new compressor only costs around $30.00. As consumers we pay the big bucks (as you stated), but Sears has you by the nuts 100% here.

Good luck, but I would have told them bye bye and never purchase another Kenmore product. A refrigerator should last 30 years. What are the chances you get a tech that fixes it properly so that it lasts? Pretty low. Hopefully he will fix yours before he smokes that joint around 10AM.

You should reconsider and go spend your hard earned money on a decent fridge that will last.

A new compressor only costs around $30.00.

Seriously, the ones I saw for this fridge were 300. I took the back cover off, and the compressor was not running, but was too hot to touch. There was a fan running, but it only served to allow the frozen stuff to cool down the fridge. Yeah, by the nuts for sure. It's hard to say screw it and put a $1800 fridge in the dump. I agree, though, a fridge should last WAY longer than 6 years. So, what fridge WILL last 30 years? This one got good reviews, but you know what they say...

I work for Carrier. We use compressors of all types. A refrigerator compressor is not an expensive part. Neither is an R-134a automotive compressor. People pay around $400 - $500 for such an item. They actually COST around $30.00 like I said.

Dumb question...........did you try unplugging it for an hour or so then plugging it back in?

Dumb question...........did you try unplugging it for an hour or so then plugging it back in?

Not for an hour, more like 10 minutes. Are you thinking something may be frozen?

I work for Carrier. We use compressors of all types. A refrigerator compressor is not an expensive part. Neither is an R-134a automotive compressor. People pay around $400 - $500 for such an item. They actually COST around $30.00 like I said.

Do you pay cost for all of your heathcare?

A fix is to dig a hole in the yard about 10 feet deep, dump all the food in the broken fridge into it. Top it off with at least 2 feet of soil. Dine out on a regular basis.

If I'm digging a hole that deep, I'm jumping in, too. My family should really notice the grocery store savings...

You probably saw this post http://fixitnow.com/wp/2006/04/14/excessive-compressor-failures-in-frigidaire-kenmore-refrigerators/ in your search. Another possible culprit is the compressor start relay. This went out on my ten-year old Whirlpool. I think it is a common problem with many brands. Perhaps you or an electrical savvy buddy could check it. The symptoms for mine was, “if it rattles when you shake it, replace it”. Was about a $50 part and my labor.

Unless it is a compressor failure it is probably something minor. Maybe you know an AC or refrig tech that knows how to test for a compressor failure. It is not normal for the compressor to fail after just a few years; the link above seems to address a specific issue with those compressors.

I am electrical and mechanical savvy enough to have saved us quite a bit of cash over the years patching up appliances; the wife is not always pleased as she would rather have a new one, of course.

Rick

It might not be normal for a compressor to fail after 6 years, but I have seen one fail even shorter, luckily while the fridge was still under warranty. Another fridge I had needed a compressor after about 14 years, then about 5 years after that the coils were shot so we bought a new much more efficient model. Most repair services will credit the 75 dollar diagnosis call against the repair itself, if you choose to repair it.