Car guys- BMW Z3

colterphoto1

Rich, the 97 does not have the roll bars over the seats, nor a passenger airbag. Would this dissuade you?

Nope, you can add the roll bar if you like, and you won't be the passenger [;)] Also I belive all BMW dealers are linked together for maintenance. Since they come with 3 year maintenance up front and most likely had some other work done at he dealership I'd bet you can check the history at your local BMW shop. They use synthetic oil and go a long time between changes, so if you are not driving it much you are looking at one oil change a year. If the tires are decent and the clutch is working what are you going to be out besides gas. Mine had the 2.5 engine IIRC and got 26-28mpg and I never took it easy on it. That BMW 6 engine is bullet proof. 50K miles or there about you say you are good for another 250K unless it had sea water dumped in it down in FLA.

I have no idea on price as I have not kept an eye on them. I do rember getting about 20K for mine when it was wrecked back in 2005. It was a 2001. I think I paid about 30K for it, if that helps. If mine was worth 20K in 2005 I would gladly pay 10K for it today...I think that would be a bargain.

Found this pic, I just remembered I had the hard top for the winter on that car...so sad it is gone.[:'(]

post-16462-13819616420458_thumb.jpg

post-16462-13819620504784_thumb.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SFogg, thanks for the condolences. I have checked out those crash pix in the past. Amazing little cars they are. Pretty good survival record. When I got the Z4 the dealer said he had seen many worse pix of 3-series cars with zero injury. BMW does not make just a nice care they make a pretty safe one. That is a big reason we opted for the Z4 to replace it. I still miss the Z3.

CP1, you will enjoy it. If you drive it be prepaired to buy it.

The engines are bulletproof if you maintain them I have the M50 and I think the S series is a sport version 2.8L I6, parts are not bad if you don't go directly to the dealer for them. There are tons of resources and DIY for maintenance. I love my E34 5 speed it is quick and agile for a big sedan, it turns heads more than any of the newer styled ones. I have 126K got it with 101K on it and it's a '95 and these cars can easily attain 300K with proper care. You will love it! I had a Honda Accord before it and there is no comparison, they don't call them the ultimate driving machine for nothing.

"BMW does not make just a nice care they make a pretty safe one."

Yes they do. My wife had an E46. When my daughter was 10 months old a full size van with wheelchair lift (HEAVY) ran a red light at about 40 miles an hour. She hit us right at the back edge of the driver side rear door. It spun us around 180 degrees and ripped the rear tires off the wheels.

My daughter was in a car seat in the back seat. I jumped out of the car and the rear door still opened, no glass was broken. My daughter was scared but fine.

Very glad we were in that car that day....

Shawn

What's the largest Klipsch speaker you can carry in that baby?

Seriously, for my own info, what kind of room does the driver have? How's access? I love the concept, but I'm a big, tall guy, with bad knees and back.

I'm 6'5" and fit. Easy to get in and out of the doors open wide.

There is a styrofoam hump behind the seats that can be removed to allow you to recline the seat slightly more which helps.http://www.waycoolinc.com/z3/02/100602/shish09.html

Tightest part is simply the tops frame when it is up. If you are tall avoid the later cars with lined tops (less headroom) and avoid the M Roadsters as the seats as taller which again gives less headroom.

A few guys removed the power seat mechnism from the seats and bolted the seats directly to the floor. This gives a few more inches of clearance but I never bothered to do that.

Shawn

Gotta say Michael she looks to be in minty shape! I think it fits in perfectly with the new you. Given the owner has time constaints, you may be able to negotiate her down some on the price. Hey, you only go 'round once in life, so, Carpe Diem!

As to BMW's safety reputation it is well deserved. I had a '78 320I that saved my bacon in a hit and run accident. Some jerk jumped the light with me going through a green at 40mph, had no more than one second to stand on the brakes and turn to put as much of the hood/engine between me the the jerk. Hit them so hard I broke my seatbelt in the housing. No doubt in my mind that with any other car I would have been hauled away in an ambulance. I'm sure that accident was the start of my back problems but the BMW proved her worth that day.

How did the guy get away when I slammed him at 40? A perfect shot directly between the doors of his big old Impala 4 door. Damn thing looked like a dolphin swimming away down the street. As I was on my knees in the middle of 103rd Avenue a pedestrain walked up to see how I was doing. "If it's any consolation that ba$tard is bleeding like a stuck pig." "Screw him, he left me for dead." was my unkind response.

Might get more for the low milege, but generally running 4 - 6 K on average. Nice Color, but the Rust factor worries me...........what else might be rusted through..............?

I say wait- save your money.................for those "What if's that keep popping up".............

You get this car and the chicks will find you irresistable! I had no idea these were so reasonably priced. As the experts have stated, mechanical condition and recorded service is very important. I'm a little jealous!

You get this car and the chicks will find you irresistable! I had no idea these were so reasonably priced. As the experts have stated, mechanical condition and recorded service is very important. I'm a little jealous!

And I'm a little jealous that Canadians get to use words like " manoeuvre"...