Car guys- BMW Z3

colterphoto1

A neighbor is moving and has a minty 97 Z3 roadster for sale. I need a sports car like I need another pair of speakers, but never owned a cool or fast car. Maybe it's time.

Any help? What to look for, am I crazy for even considering this overpowered, undersized beast?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On second thought, it was the z4 that looked more like a shoe. The z3 has the same rear suspension as my e30 (325i), which can definitely add excitement, although the traction control feature should make it less spin prone in the wet. If it's the 6 cylinder it will be a blast, even the 4 will be fun. Check out bimmerforums.com and peruse the forum devoted to them for ideas on usual problems, plus virtues.

Posted Image

Definitely has the cool factor. Being a convertible you'll want to make sure the top seals well, no major leaks. High mileage BMWs can be extremely expensive to repair and maintain. How many miles are on it? Forget about driving it in the winter.

Yes have it checked out by a mechanic who knows these cars and you trust. My 325I is an 88 with close to 200,00 miles and i would not characterize the maintenance as expensive year to year. Make sure the price is low enough to account for sorting it out, even if its been well maintained plan for some leeway. !3 years ha! My newest car is 19 years old, and as for maintenance stay on top of the routine things. Air conditioning is usually the most expensive thing to go wrong and if you are using it as a weekend type fun driver in nice weather with the top down you won't need it. Most repairs and periodic maintenance will be equivalent to what most people pay every month in a payment and some years there won't be any, some years maybe one or two. Check it out colt, it's worth a good look for 4 to 5 g's.

The biggest thing to have checked out is the rear subframe at the diff mounts and the spot welds in the trunk. There have been some cases of the subframe cracking on Z3s. It is mostly an issue on hard driven cars but can occur on any of them. If this one is having those problems skip it, there are others.

Other common problems are the rear shock mounts going. I went through about 3 sets of factory mounts and 2 sets of aftermarket before I found a pair that held up. Relatively easy to DIY if you are so inclined.

See if you can get a maintenance history on the car. On the sixes they tended to need cam sensors replaced. Other then those things they are solid cars.

Z3s are a *blast* to drive.

Melissa_Z3.jpg

Shawn

I passed up a good deal on an M3 roadster earlier this year. It was the sensible thing to do but now I'm thinking I should've gone for it. I didn't need it and I didn't want to be the cliche' middle-aged-guy-in-a-little-sports-car but screw that - it's a fun car. Buy it, you're going to buy something like it someday anyway and you'll just be another year older when you do.

Any help? What to look for, am I crazy for even considering this overpowered, undersized beast?

Depends. Can you actually wind it up and let it spin? Having a car like that, and only being able to commute with it would make me sad...

Me? I drive as fast as my car allows, so I drive a 19 year old pick-up...

• Moderators

Maybe it's time.

Why not?

If the money part causes you no troubles and the car checks out ok, why not.

We are about the same age but different situations, you know me (good and bad). [:o]

Do what makes you happy, ( I would) what else really matters in the long run ?

I do really miss your visits !...........except the almost drowning part

Here she is. 1997 2.8l motor S52 I believe is the designation so it's the in-line 6 supposed to be pretty peppy and fun to drive, 5 speed manual. 53k actual miles, brakes tires, top, cover new within last 10K. She's been a FL car and recently in the midwest. Literally belongs to a nice lady about my age and it's been her third vehicle so really babied. Seems if driven responsibly doens't get bad mileage, probably sucky if you stand on her eh?

BTW for comparison, I drive my Accord about as many miles, have 52k on a 2005 now so that'll be my primary/winter/bad weather car. Also have the pickup truck so this will be the 'date' vehicle I guess you could say. Strictly fun. No commuting but then I don't commute except to get the groceries.

A friend worked at BMW dealership, two other friends are BMW owners, and another buddy is SCCA guy so I can run it through the mill. GOod points on asking for maintenance records. Heck, maybe I can't even afford to have this insured or tuned up even if I can afford the car. Worried a bit about resale value but it seems that for what these were new that they've already plummeted most of their value already. She's asking $9900 but in a hurry so will probably OBO.

Yes it's a bit of girly color but then I don't need the 'red sports car' thing. Although red would be cool. Maybe this is just a 'dunking my toes in the water' test drive but she's giving her to me for the DAY on Thursday... I'll check back.

Michael

post-10755-13819616419478_thumb.jpg

post-10755-13819620504114_thumb.jpg

I passed up a good deal on an M3 roadster earlier this year. It was the sensible thing to do but now I'm thinking I should've gone for it. I didn't need it and I didn't want to be the cliche' middle-aged-guy-in-a-little-sports-car but screw that - it's a fun car. Buy it, you're going to buy something like it someday anyway and you'll just be another year older when you do.

possibly the best advice - ever. Thanks mang [;)]

I owned a triple black Z3 from day one new up until some idiot crossed the center line while I was driving to work one morning. I thought I would have that car until I could drive no longer. They really are a fun, and I mean fun, car. Prior to that I had a convertible TR-7 and three 1968 camaros. The Z3 was by far the best of the bunch. I replaced the totaled Z3 with a Z4 and while the Z4 has many more modern conveniences like a glass rear window, nicer headliner, smoother ride, better sound system, etc. The Z3 by far has that more traditional British sports car feel (assuming you want that over the traditional German autobahn ride). You feel much more connected to the Z3. The Z4 is just another go fast car with a drop top. I think casual drivers would rather have a Z4, but for my money you can't beat the Z3...especially if it is not going to be your daily driver. Tons of aftermarket stuff for them too if you feel the need to tweak them a bit.

Oh they are very safe too. That crash I was involved in was with a Saturn Vue. One death, one life flight in a helicopter and one ambulance ride for the other cars three people. I had a dime sized mark on my nose from the air bag and sunglasses. I jumped from the car after the crash to assist the injured and when the police/EMT arrived they were wondering where the driver of the Z3 was because they did not think he/she should be out of the car on their own.

Long story short, get the car. I'd bet with this economy you can buy it now drive it for 3 years take care of it and sell it for what you have in it.

financially I can swing it, but then you guys will have to hear me complain about repair bills and such. One of the struggles is 'how much machinery does it take to make a guy happy?'. The answer is that they bear no relation to each other. All these speakers, car, truck, boat, PA trailer and still I want more? I'm also a bit conservative in my driving so wonder what use I could possibly have for a 'fun' car. I've owned Hondas since I learned to drive. Usually been very economy-minded, easy on vehicles, etc.

I'm thinking about this just because it came available and I trust the lady selling it. She has confided in me that the trunk was rusted through and she had a couple grand of repair work done on that. So I wonder how much to deduct from the average selling price due to that. Does $9900 seem like a lot for a 13 year old car that has otherwise been well maintained, nearly babied? She's owned it two years and only put 1k miles on it.

Tomorrow I get it for a test drive, will take a buddy who used to work for BMW on the drive and he's checking out the local records with shop.

So far no naysayers...here or FB. you guys are really a lot of help. LOL

M