380 for a pair of rb-5s?

SuBXeRo

i still dont understand why the the larger bookshelfs cost almost as much as the floorstanders, doesnt make sense to me

Several reasons.

1. Ultimately, people will pay it.

2. A floorstander is not "better" than a bookshelf; it is a matter of priorities and tradeoffs. A floorstander typically has a larger internal volume which is useful for bass extension; however, you can't just plunk a floorstander on your bookshelf, can you?

3. Realistically, both an RB-5 and an RF-3 would need to be mated with a subwoofer to achieve full range sound. Presuming both speakers are mated properly with a good quality subwoofer, there is little reason to believe that you're going to get substantially better performance from the RF-3 until you reach ear blistering levels.

I would bne using these for my computer without a sub. Ihave a bose companion set now and im trying to nix it. I live in a second floor apt so im trying to avoid a bass battle, the extensions of bass and their full range capabilities are important to me in a case like this.

Yeah there's another pair on ebay for sale right now. They have the cherry finish. They're at $295 with $45 shipping and a little over a day left on the auction......I'm not sure if you just wanted the older bookshelves for the sound but I went ahead and priced the old 81s.....I didn't see any used ones but the cheapest new pair i saw new was $685. And Audiogon doesn't have any. Unfortunately for the bigger bookshelf speakers you are going to pay out the wazoo for them. As Youthman said just be patient and keep looking for deals.

• Moderators

I forgot, I had posted these RB-5's and KV-2 for $175. Cabinets were dinged up though.

and these I posted for $100. Didn't last long.

and these that Wuzzer posted for $125

So bottom line...you can find them cheaper....IF you are patient to wait for the sweet deals. The above prices are not the norm but as you can see, they do come along from time to time.

There were a pair of RB-5 IIs on my local craigslist recently for $120.

Wow did you jump on that deal? Even if I don't have anywhere to put them right now I try to jump on Klipsch speaker deals. At the very worst I can put them on eBay or give them to a family member.

These are the same ones on Ebay now. Either the CL guy decided to go to ebay, or the buyer is flipping them without blinking. I promptly emailed the CL guy stating I would buy them and could come over immediately to pick them up and left my phone number only a few hours after the CL ad was placed. I never heard from him. I really would like a nice set of cherry bookshelves.

These are the same ones on Ebay now. Either the CL guy decided to go to ebay, or the buyer is flipping them without blinking. I promptly emailed the CL guy stating I would buy them and could come over immediately to pick them up and left my phone number only a few hours after the CL ad was placed. I never heard from him. I really would like a nice set of cherry bookshelves.

Dang seriously? I'm leaning towards the second option. The buyer is probably immediately flipping them.....but its possible the buyer could've been talked out of the super low price by a "helpful friend" that told him to list on eBay. You never know. Man I need to move. We never have Klipsch deals on our Craigslist. All my deals have to come from Amazon or eBay. Nonetheless if the buyer is flipping them then he is about to make a really really really good profit on those speakers. I'm suprised you haven't found some cherry speakers for a great price already (other than those on Craiglist) at one point thats all I was seeing on eBay. Companies trying to get rid of their cherry speaker stock for cheap prices since its the least popular option compared to all black. Keep looking though. You will probably come across a nice set sooner than later.

I've sold some RB-5s for $200 a little while back. I wouldn't pay $380

And yes - you should look at RB-3s. I've had both at the same time and i liked the RB-3s more. For some odd reason their lows sounded better than the 5s with bigger woofer. Just felt more tight and controlled. I still have a pair of 3-s stashed in my garage in case i decide to add some music to one of the rooms.

In fact, a pair of new RB-51 II is $400 for a pair

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780057