Room inspection and what is the current price of LaScallas ?

I was talking to my son in the navy yesterday and he told me that he had a room inspection (They have them at least every week) but during this inspection due to his schedule he was there for it, normaly the inspection is done while everyone is at work. Anyway, the inspector walked in and within 10 seconds, his attention was drawn to the GMRS surround system Adam had, Adam pointed out his KG5.5s and the rest of the inspection was talking about speakers, forget how the room looked. The inspector saw that the KGs were connected to a Dennon AVR and Adam got an 'OUTSTANDING" automaticaly for the rooms condition without any other input. So because the inspector knew about "better audio" the rest of the inspection was skipped LOL.

During the course of the inspection, the inspector indicated that he had a pair of LaScallas that he would let go for $1K. Yes I know condition is everything as well as any upgradeds that have been done but I have been out of the market for a while and though I am not looking for any more speakers, if the price is right..... Adam can't use them as his room is "over full" with just the KG5.5s and there is no place to put a pair of Scallas, so I may be interested in them for 2 ch listening though I do have a pair of CW2s serving that duty right now. Is this a screaming deal if they are in good shape or with todays economey, is this on the high end?

Thanks in advance.

Cal,

Cool story.

I have purchased two pair over the last 3 years. A decent pair for $1100 (late 80s)and a beater pair for $500 (early 80s). They do not come up very often for sure.

A sailor's whim? He is getting a steady paycheck. I'd offer less. Unless they are immaculate and fairly new, as far as new goes.

• Moderators

One way of looking at the situation..... Buy the LS's from the inspector..... and #1 son gets "outstanding" for inspections for the rest of his tour at that duty station!! LOL!!!!

Cool

And you get a pair of LaScalas out of the deal, that does seem a little high unless there in good shape.

I thought it sounded a little high but as I said, I have been out of the market for a little while. I know a few years ago they were priced a littler higher than they are at the moment due to the downturn in the economy.

The seller, is not just another guy in the building but rather is someone further up the chain of command and who I would think is married, possibly with kids and lives off base in a house. Without seeing them or pictures, the condition is unknown but if it is in the ball park, I may inquire a little further about them.

Hey Cal, ask for pictures and serial numbers. That should answer a lot of questions, like condition and year they were made. If the serial numbers are sequential, then they have probably been a "pair" since they were first sold.

Great story! I once got out of a "locker inspection" when my Drill Sargent saw a picture of my wife in her bikini! [Y]

$1000 is not a bad price, if they are in "GOOD" condition! Unless you have to ship them, that will raise the price considerably! Also keep in mind that they may need new caps!

Dennie

Dennie,

I expect new caps and a drive to see #1 son (about 5 hours each way, he is in Lamore NAS about 60 miles south of Fresno. Yes a navy man stationed in the middle of CA! It goes to show that you can work on Jets anyplace LOL) is not something that is all that unpleasent LOL. I think we may be going up to see him over Thanksgiving weekend so if the seller isn't in a big hurry to deliver them, we could pick them up then, heck I don't think he is in a big hurry to SELL them, I think it came up in conversation. I will have my son check with the seller for more info. I don't really NEED more speakers but......[;)]

If he can wait a little for the money, I may indeed pick them up but because our #1 DOG just had us drain all our accounts, savings, checking and otherwise I am just now paying last months bills GROAN, $3500 for a 9 year old dog and this is the second time he (the dog) has cost us $. The first time about 7.5 years ago cost us $2900 but the dog has given us so much more back that we would do it again. 110# of love in a furry package, hard to not give him what he needs.

Our other dog, well she would not get the same care. That mutt has bit me in the face twice, requireing stiches both times (the last time just 3 weeks ago). She has problems being with other animals and goes crazy for no aparent reason to me (possibly once every month or two). Both times I have been bit was during those times. The rest of the time, she is calm and a bit shy. She likely would do well as an only dog with no kids. I am in process of looking for a shelter to taker her.

I hear you Cal, most La Scala owners didn't NEED them! LOL But, they sure are hard to pass up. That's how I got mine. Original owner and his wife was making him sell them because they were moving across the country and SHE didn't want to move them. Sucked for him, good for ME!

Isn't it amazing what we'll do for our dogs! They don't call them Man's Best Friend for nothing. I would pay whatever it took to take care of my Dog. Heck, she eats as good as I do and takes up most of the bed at night! [^o)]

Sorry to hear about the "other" dog. I hope you can find it a good home!

Dennie

I had been watching the market for awhile over the last 6 months and can say that "good condition" and "within a reasonable drive" don't hit the market that often. I got my pair for $1k and the seller drove 5 hours to meet me. You can find photos elsewhere on the forum. I'd say they are an 8 of 10 in condition. Based on everything I've seen selling, I got a fair buy.

Nearly every time I looked you could find a pair of beaters for anywhere from $400-$1000.

Cal, what rate is your Son? I was an AD (jet Engine Mech). As the hiring manager for our little enterprise here, tell my shipmate (your #1 swabby) to start IMMEDIATELY having all work he is doing on the aircraft documented in order to justify the FAA granting him permission to take the Airframe and Powerplants certification test. I waited until I got out, mistake.

If he is airframes, get over to the mech shop and get some work documented and if he is a mech get his tail over to the tin benders and do the same.

Just an example: I have 5 openings for A&P mechs (not the only thing desired, but is a deal breaker if you don't have one) paying approx. $30 bucks an hr with full benefits in a town where the est. per capita income was $24k in 2008, not too shabby.

I would be more than happy to forward you a blank form that the FAA likes to see. Simply a log of: I did this maintenance on this tail number this day.

Mike

110# of love in a furry package, hard to not give him what he needs

I agree, sounds like he has a heck of a home and has been a heck of a companion.

bit me in the face twice, requireing stiches both times

and now we've confirmed that your wife married you for your good personality [;)] [6]

Cal, what rate is your Son? I was an AD (jet Engine Mech). As the hiring manager for our little enterprise here, tell my shipmate (your #1 swabby) to start IMMEDIATELY having all work he is doing on the aircraft documented in order to justify the FAA granting him permission to take the Airframe and Powerplants certification test. I waited until I got out, mistake.

If he is airframes, get over to the mech shop and get some work documented and if he is a mech get his tail over to the tin benders and do the same.

Just an example: I have 5 openings for A&P mechs (not the only thing desired, but is a deal breaker if you don't have one) paying approx. $30 bucks an hr with full benefits in a town where the est. per capita income was $24k in 2008, not too shabby.

I would be more than happy to forward you a blank form that the FAA likes to see. Simply a log of: I did this maintenance on this tail number this day.

Mike

Mike, thanks for the info and the offer of the form, yes please on the form! I will indeed pass it on to him! His job (rate) is AT, his job is to work on the cockpit electronics. He is first line trouble shooting for nav, com, radiar systems etc. I am also trying to get him to get a degree while he is in, there are lots of online and on base schools he could go to and he only needs to get off his backside and do the work LOL.

This Dec 16, will be the halfway point in his hitch, he will have two more years to go out of his 4 year active minimum enlistment. He is supporting a training Sqdn (125) but they are disbanding and being merged with the 122 (I think) so that the 125 can be re-formed to train pilots on the JSF, he currently is working on F/A 18s and as training support, he is not assigned to a ship and will be staying dry (except for the odd week or so, every so often to support training for carrier landings, then back to base). This is from his Facebook page, doing his best pirate pose.

post-14862-1381961742068_thumb.jpg

post-14862-1381962127765_thumb.jpg

Coytee, LOL, I am just as good looking as I have ever been....... UH, ...... ER ....... perhaps that isn't a good thing to say [:$]

The first bite was to the upper lip, mostly inside and a clean tear to the side of the nose. I had a good ER dock and was stiched up so well that I can hardly find a scar. The second time, she tood about a 3/8 inch hole out of my bottom lip and a plastic surgon was called in. He did a great job and even though it was only a few weeks ago, it is looking very good.

I look nearly as good as my pic, for whatever that means LOL[:|]

I talked to Adam about the speakers and he said it may be a while before he sees that Chief again but that the offer to sell my son the speakers, was made from one lover of horns to another, the Chief wasn't activley trying to sell them so, likely there is a little time to get the war chest built up again. I'm not really in the market for any more speakers, heck I have several in storage now but I DON'T have any fully horn loaded speakers, MY top end is my CW2s and I am very happy with them. I allways drooled over Khorns since I first heard them in '77 and I don't have any corners available for them. I may however, need to put the LS on top of the CWs for a while though if I get them, just to see what I am missing!

I do have the LS Pro top section I bought from FZN several years ago, so I know roughly the size of the LS, they are no small speakers either. [:D]

I once got out of a "locker inspection" when my Drill Sargent saw a picture of my wife in her bikini! Yes

Are you saying the Sarge was wearing your wife's bikini, when he saw a photo of her? What branch of the service were you in? The Village People??

[;)]

You really need to get pics. Plain black ones won't fetch as much as a niver finish. (EDIT: "niver"? nicer... I gotta proof-read my posts!)

These are cheap and nice: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/140182.aspx

Thanks, that helps put things in perspective. If I were, say, 300 miles closer to them, they would be serious weights on my mind but they are much farther thann I care to go for speakers I don't really need (do we really NEED that many speakers?). I could justify driving to pick up the Chiefs though as the #1 Son is at the same place! I know finish, condition and upgrades is everything and I am not EAGER to spend $1K at the moment but, two birds (son and speakers) with one stone (drive) is tempting LOL

His job (rate) is to work on the cockpit electronics. He is first line trouble shooting for nav, com, radiar systems. I beleave it is AT. I am also trying to get him to get a degree while he is in, there are lots of online and on base schools he could go to and he only needs to get off his backside and do the work LOL.

Ahh, he's a 'cone head' [8-|]. With that I would do just as you suggested in at least get over to Embry Riddle,(they have a presence on NAS Lemoore, and get started on a Professional Aeronautics or Management degree if you can't get him started on the route to a hard EE.

If he gets the chance, get any experience he can on the JSF (F-35), we are dying for techs to build them in Ft Worth and test them in Md.

Now back to the regularly schedule LaScala discussion.