Pork butt/shoulder smokey ?'s

oscarsear

Well it could have gone better. I pulled it according to internal temp, at 190F. It was not yet 'loose'. Mr. bone (scapula) was not inclined to slip its tenuous connective tissue grip upon the protein. Popped it in the oven for another 2 hours at 275F and the silly thing rather fell apart. Tender, very much so. Flavor, well not so smokey yet still quite porky, but still not spicy enough for me. I make a meat loaf sandwich using at least a tablespoon of Tabasco as a condiment. I want to get my smoked product soundly seasoned, with a crispy bark and still be tender. Perhaps a brining for pork? Perhaps a more distinctive and spiced dry rub over a longer prep time? Still on this learning curve.

Okay..... Gonna use my new eclectic Cabelas smoker for the 2nd time. This time it is pork, that shoulder butt thingy. I have a dry rub and a sauce to dress it with. I'll dry rub 24 hours in advance. I have applewood chips and hickory chunks and intend to soak them and combine the 2 for the smoke source. Now, do I use the water bath or not and roughly how long at 225F (internal temp 180F?)???? Any suggestions, recommendations? The roast is about 6lbs and it has a nice fatty rind. Yes, I intend to drink wine while it smokes.

Yes, use a water pan, absolutely. Maintain a min. water depth of at least 1" of water, more is better. As for cooking time, that depends on the size and especially the thickness of your meat (the one your smoking, butt-head). I would estimate between 3hrs. min, to 5 hrs. max,.... Again, depending on the thickness..... 6 to 8 lbs is not that big, so around the 3 hr. mark is what I would look for.

I've never used an electric smoker, I only use 100% charred hardwood charcoal; so take my recommendation with a dose of salt. I would assume your cooking times to be longer, but I'm not positive, and I don't want to ruin your meat.

Here is a great recipe for sauce.

McRib Sauce: Water, high fructose corn syrup, tomato paste, distilled vinegar, molasses, natural smoke flavor, modified food starch, salt, sugar, soybean oil, spices, onion*, mustard flour, garlic *, xanthan gum, caramel color, sodium benzoate (preservative), natural flavor (vegetable source), corn oil. *Dehydrated

Oscarsear:

Here is what I've learned from a friend from South Carolina and I have done this myself for the staff at school and they haven't had anything better, but it is Ontario, Canada. The basic ideas seem to be pretty standard. I prepared my butt the night before cutting off as much fat as possible and slathering it with French's mustard and the sugar and spices I wanted.

The ideal temperature for cooking ribs or pork butt is 225° F at grill level, but 250° F is okay if thats as low as you can go, especially with a gas bbq.

Pork butts go up in temperature nicely until they hit 175° F. The collagen and fat start to break down at 167.5° F. When the temperature hits 175, the cooking stops for a while and may hold for 1 3 hours. The temperature will actually drop to about 155° F before it goes up again. It will rise quickly at this stage to 180° F. The butt is done at approximately 194 197°.

To take the temperature on a pork butt, choose a spot 1 inch below the t-bone in the butt (think 1 inch below an upside down T). This is the part that cooks the slowest and is the spot where the temperature really counts. If this spot is not ready, you cant pull the pork and might as well throw it out.

Tent meat for 15 20 minutes or longer to allow juices to flow back into the centre of the meat. This should be done for all larger meats.

I wrap mine in foil for an hour after it's done and then pull apart with forks. The second last one I did in the oven, it was January. It took 18 hours to cook and I had the kids in my cooking class begging for the scraps from the picnic of the New York Shoulder. They were very happy with the scraps and thought it was wonderful ( a bit tough, but still full of flavour). The staff got the Boston Butt portion on Toronto Italian buns (crusty outside with a nice crumb) and a homemade bbq sauce that was slightly vinegary, which blends well with the fat of the pork. A sugar based sweet sauce just doesn't have the same effect on pulled pork as it does on chicken.

Enjoy and it's a continual experiment to arrive at what you think tastes the best.

Don