Koa Jube Clones even better than expected....

jorjen

Yup I know.........then a few months go by...........then you hear a couple of other systems or someone else's Jubs..........then you think maybe I'll get a different amp or two..........maybe I'll try a different tweeter..............maybe I'll try 2-way.............maybe I'll go active..............and the hobby continues as usual.........and the audio world continues to turn.

I wasn't sure what you were saying at first but with all I can see in those pics, I find it hard to believe that those wouldn't sound right. They are totally beautiful.

You missed a step....you forgot the proverbial EQ in the system....awe dam

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OMG my mouth is actually watering after seeing those! congratulations! please post something about the sound a.s.a.p. BTW when you decide you dont like them please offer them for sale to me in private...LOL...I am SO jealous! warm regards, Tony

Sorry for the delay fellas, but it will be another day or two for a review.

Just my luck. After working on these on and off for 3 1/2 years, I hook them up Saturday and get about a half hour to listen. Since Sunday morning I have been fighting a sinus AND respiratory infection and of course MY EARS ARE PLUGGED UP! After a Z-pack, 2 inhalers and some liquid garbage I am starting to get better. I can now unplug my ears for a few minutes at a time.

Below you will find a copy of the email I sent DeanG after my half hour of listening....

Dean,

Below you will find a thorough, informative, detailed and well conceived intellectual review of the Jube Clones with your networks....

HOLY ***!!!

Regards,

Jordan

Sorry for the delay fellas, but it will be another day or two for a review.

Just my luck. After working on these on and off for 3 1/2 years, I hook them up Saturday and get about a half hour to listen. Since Sunday morning I have been fighting a sinus AND respiratory infection and of course MY EARS ARE PLUGGED UP! After a Z-pack, 2 inhalers and some liquid garbage I am starting to get better. I can now unplug my ears for a few minutes at a time.

Below you will find a copy of the email I sent DeanG after my half hour of listening....

Dean,

Below you will find a thorough, informative, detailed and well conceived intellectual review of the Jube Clones with your networks....

HOLY ***!!!

Regards,

Jordan

I thought you were going for the tease of the year award. Hope you feel better soon.

I've been getting emails about the crossover. The crossover was designed by Al at the request of JC. Jordan was about half-way through his build and was buying drivers -- he had the two K-31s and a big honking JBL compression driver which I can't remember the model number of. Jordan was on the fence about whether to go two-way or three-way. It's hard to give advice to people -- I knew about Al's design, but didn't know if Jordan would get enough at the top. So, I suggested going active or going three-way, and he either already had, or bought a pair of JBL 2404s. I used Al's two-way schematic and tacked on the 3rd order butterworth tweeter filter from the Universal Type A (ALK). Attached is Al's two-way design.

post-3205-13819635687322_thumb.jpg

I forgot to mention that Jordan dropped the JBLs when LinkAlley put his TADs up for sale. Like the Universal Type A, you can use the filter with either 8 or 16 ohm midrange drivers.

I told Al these networks were a one-off. If anyone else wants a pair built they need to go through Al, who will then email me if he wants me to build them. I may or may not want to -- they were a PITA to build. :)

I've been asked twice about measurements. All I know is that Al's designs always measure well electrically. I recently found out that a Jubilee sporting Al's two-way Jubilee filter was actually measured in a chamber, and with the exception of needing a little bit of EQ boost at the very top -- measured quite well. Please don't ask me who did the measurements and in what chamber. However, I reveal the information so that those considering the network for use on their Jubilee builds can build and use it with some confidence.

Don't expect stellar sound if you attempt to build the networks on the cheap.

I have never built this network myself. I designed it for JC just for the fun of it. It is an extreme-slope network. The 10 dB driver interference window is only about 40 Hz wide at 600 Hz. The impedance dip at 600 Hz to about 3 Ohms is intentional to compensate for component losses. The design impedance is 4.8 Ohms. The 12 Ohm swamping resistor at the output of the highpass allows any 8 Ohm high section to be used and still properly terminate it. 12 Ohms in parallel with 8 Ohms is 4.8 Ohms.

As Dean said, the high section is simply the 6000 Hz crossover section of the "Universal". Here's the computer analysis of just the 600 Hz crossover section.

Al K.

post-2934-13819635690126_thumb.gif