Favorite song to show off your system!?

IHOPsOPEN

Thumbs up for Tin Pan Alley! It really gets listeners' attention.

As for his tone, Stevie Ray used a Fender Stratocaster, with thick strings to match his thick fingers, but mainly he played like he was Stevie Ray Vaughan.

He shows his humourous side in this video. As one commenter says, if it was only this easy to bring him back...

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Cold Shot:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone here a fan of The Black Keys? I think their album, Borthers, is a great modern rock album, but a good track on there, "Howlin' for you," has an EXTREMELY bright sound on my RF-62s, espescially in two channel listening. I'm not enough of a musician to know what that instrument is...some kind of a guitar/kazoo sound, but it overpowers my system via the Right Channel. Anyone else experienced this? The rest of the album sounds fantastic! By-the-way, I was listening to it via a digital stream.

Anyone here a fan of The Black Keys? I think their album, Borthers, is a great modern rock album, but a good track on there, "Howlin' for you," has an EXTREMELY bright sound on my RF-62s, espescially in two channel listening. I'm not enough of a musician to know what that instrument is...some kind of a guitar/kazoo sound, but it overpowers my system via the Right Channel. Anyone else experienced this? The rest of the album sounds fantastic! By-the-way, I was listening to it via a digital stream.

I didn't notice anything like that but I will double check because last time I didn't turn anything too loud. That whole album does sound really good.

As for favourite songs to show off the system at the moment I would say

for 2 channel no sub

The Who - Baba O'Riley - especially after the 3:00 mark the guitar sounds great.

Jeff Buckely - Hallelujah

Josh Groban - Remember when it rained

Sting - Fragile

with or without sub

Deadmau5 - Ghosts n Stuff - sounds really good with and without subs. very tight when just using RF-7's

The black keys - Tighten Up

DJ Tiesto - Century

With Sub

Usher - More

Chris Brown - Yeah 3x

Again these are ones I have been using at the moment. I also like to play songs that are very well known because people are very familiar with them and usually gets more of the "wow that sounds so much better" or " I never heard that before". Journey - Don't stop believing, Led Zeppelin - Stairway to heaven

then theres always the wife who always comes back with "this just sounds like the other speakers but louder..." the other speakers being a set of <$500 HTIB Jamo's in the family room and Klipsch iFi in the bedroom....

Impossible to pick one...so I'll limit myself to five or so. In no particular order....

Steely Dan King of the World, My Old School, Bodhisattva, or..jump to Who's Next or The Fab T-Birds or...

Little Feat Fat Man in the bathtub from the live album, Lonesome Whistle from Hoy Hoy

Commodores Brick House

Santana Everything is Coming Our Way, Hope your Feeling Better

Ry Cooder The Very Thing That Makes You Rich (Makes Me Poor) has a killer bass line....turn it way up.

Lucinda Williams Hot Blood, I Can't Let Go

The one that usually makes jaws drop is Rebekah Del Rio - Crying (Llorando). It's an acapella version of Roy Orbison's "Crying" sung in Spanish. You should hear the reverb on this track. A few others I always play for people...Muddy Waters - Feel Like Going Home from Folk Singer, various Steely Dan, Coil, Lustmord cuts...Jeff Beck - Cause We've Ended As Lovers, Dead Can Dance - Yulunga, Sheila Chandra - Ever So Lonely, Willie Nelson - Unchained Melody, Rickie Lee Jones - Chuck E's..., Michael Hedges - Ragamuffin, Radiohead - Exit Music & Steve Reich/Pat Metheny - Electric Counterpoint.

yes, great album!

I used to have a song or two.

My bent has been to more of an album guy for demos.

'Prairie Wind" from Neil Young has excellent instrumental realism in the recornding. Neil is not much of a voice. Guitar recording both accoustic and pedal steel are world class.

Peter Malic / Norah Jones is very unique.

Last night I critically listened to Stephen Stills 'Manassas'. It was the Stills and Albert Bothers version of the Phil Specter "wall of sound" perspective in production of the early 70s. It was a more respectful presnetation of the artisic product than Geroge Harrisons "All Things Must Pass". George was excelent but production would have been better in a "less is more" production.

"Songbird" by Eva Cassady is excelent.

Songbirds Vol. 1 has Eva's verson of Fileds of Gold. This CD knocked people out on my system at AK fest 3 years ago.

Maura O'Connel "Trouble in the Fields" from the Songbirds CD is the one song that makes me and others speechless! A must have!

Just listened to "Infinity Guitars" by Sleigh Bells on digital radio. I don't know that it's ideal to show off your system, but what a great song! It's raw and garagey. It acted as visceral seduction to crank up my speakers to the limit. I had to pull back, and for the first time in a long time I was upset that I didn't have the overhead in my AVR to rattle some pictures off the wall.