Favorite song to show off your system!?

IHOPsOPEN

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For something that reaches out and grabs you, I like David Bowies Instrumental album ALL SAINTS. The track "Abdulmajid" has a bit of everything. Great dynamics and suprise doses of very low bass. Lots of other good tracks on the album. It was recorded pretty darn clean IMO. Forgot to mention that this track really shines when heard in 5+ channel stereo. But then again, I prefer listening to all my audio in multi channels.

For something a little lighter I like Mike Pattons spin off group Peeping Tom. The song "Caipirinha" featuring Bebel Gilberto is pretty nice.

Also on the Peeping Tom album is the song "Sucker" featuring Nora Jones, which is definately worth a listen and will let you know immediately that Nora has a darker side and just might be a naughty girl! She definately is in the song.

I like and respect Mike Patton's direction and Peeping Tom is some cool stuff. All other items mentioned sound good but I haven't heard. Didn't know about All Saints.... thanks!

System audition stuff - right now I can think of:

The Commitments. Something on there for a lot of people, and I like the way it's recorded.

Morphine - Cure For Pain. Another good recording. Saxophones instead of guitars. A favorite band of mine.

Diana Krall - I'm Through With Love. For a female voice.

Soul Coughing - Ruby Vroom. For string bass and low end groovy beats.

I like to play something that i know they like to hear, so i try to pick something from my collection in that genre that has good bass extension. If i dont know what they like, i like to play something with good vocals, all this is of course dependent on my mood. Most of what i choose is trance related since that is my favorite genre so i usually enjoy playing them the most. I do like some rap though, not of that thugg crap, more of the mainstrea. To me though, trance with its faster pace and really exercise your speakers and show em off.

Rivernuggs, Diana Krall - I'm Through With Love, i heard her at ahifi shop and yes, i agree, her voice is fantastic.

This is usually what i like to use:

DJ Tiesto - Just Be

DJ Tiesto - Close to you (love the vocals in this one)

Motorcycle - As the rush comes (my all time favorite trance sony)

Armand Van Burren - Burned with desire (my other all time favorite trance)

Kate Havnevik - New day (i cant find a good high res version of this in mp3 but it really challenges the frequency spectrum)

Katy Perry - Firework

1)Diana Krall-The Girl in the Other Room-TGitOR

2)Alison Kraus-Down to the River to Pray-O Brother Where Art Thou

3)Stephen Stills-Treetop Flyer-Stills Alone

4)Craig Chaquico-Native Son-Acoustic Planet

5)Mark Broussard-Home-Carenco

6)Jeff Beck-Led Boots-Live at Ronnie Scotts

All these recordings are very well recorded with little noise and very black backgrounds. After playing parts of these 6, I walk around and pick the jaws up off the floor.

For something that reaches out and grabs you, I like David Bowies Instrumental album ALL SAINTS. The track "Abdulmajid" has a bit of everything. Great dynamics and suprise doses of very low bass. Lots of other good tracks on the album. It was recorded pretty darn clean IMO. Forgot to mention that this track really shines when heard in 5+ channel stereo. But then again, I prefer listening to all my audio in multi channels.

For something a little lighter I like Mike Pattons spin off group Peeping Tom. The song "Caipirinha" featuring Bebel Gilberto is pretty nice.

Also on the Peeping Tom album is the song "Sucker" featuring Nora Jones, which is definately worth a listen and will let you know immediately that Nora has a darker side and just might be a naughty girl! She definately is in the song.

I like and respect Mike Patton's direction and Peeping Tom is some cool stuff. All other items mentioned sound good but I haven't heard. Didn't know about All Saints.... thanks!

The All Saints disk kind of grabbed me off gaurd. I didnt expect an instrumental from Bowie, but when I saw it I had to have it. Its a very spacial recording and always one I enjoy. Another "non standard" Bowie album I couldnt do without is "Outside". Very trippy album that had many influences from Bowies old pal Trent Reznor. I also have the Reality Tour DVD that is in 5.1 and it sounds great too. As far as Patton goes, that dude is a musical genious IMO. He has HUGE vocal range and can belt it out in any NYC Opera with the best of them and two hours later he is spewing old FNM hits. Mike has to be the most ecclectic musian EVER! Oh yeah, he actually did all the animal/monster sounds for the movie "I am Legend" with his own voice and came up with all the crazy sound work in the movie "Crank".

I dont have many staples that I always come back to when it comes to music, but Bowie and Patton are always there. The latest musician that has wowed me over the past few years is Josh Homme of "Kyuss", "Queens of the Stone Age", "Eagle of Death Metal", "Desert Sessions" and "Them Crooked Vultures" featuring John Paul Jones!. As far as my listening tastes go he is bringing the sound that I can relate to and enjoy when it comes to meshing old style rock with the newer sound and clicks of today. All of his bands I listed are still in action except for Kyuss which was his first when he was much younger. This guy is one busy musician. BTW, Queens of the Stone Age did a concert DVD in 5.1 called "Over the years and through the woods"...its a must buy IMO.

Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds Live at Radio City Musical Hall bluray. This disk is the absolute best video concert I have ever heard or seen.

Bill

+1!!! It's jaw-dropping for people that haven't heard my system before... Heck, sometimes it's still jaw-dropping for me!

Dave Mathews and Tim Reynolds to show off the LaScalas, but not the subs

Boz Scags, JoJo on the David Foster Bluray has excellent horns and the kick drum is mic'd very well. It gives you that kick in the chest.

Funk #49 on the Eagles Farewell tour is pretty amazing as well.

I got so many songs in my collection that I would love to hear on good systems or to show off.

For examples that I can think of off the top of my head.

Beyond Twilight - For the Love of Art and the Making in its entirety (it is basically one long 42-minute song anyway)

Vox Tempus - In the Eye of Time in its entirety, as that is one very well recorded album

Spheric Universe Experience - "Dragged" from Unreal

The opening track on Guilt Machine On This Perfect Day

Fountain of Tears - "Falling" on Fate

Project Creation Floating World in its entirety

There is just something about listening to well recorded progressive metal on a good system, since there is so much going on in many of these tracks. It takes a really good system to really render it in such a way that is just does not all end up sounding like mush.

For me, Stevie Ray Vaughn's "Tin Pan Alley (aka The Roughest Place In Town)". The way his fingers move across the fretboard. Wow. And the tone he gets, was it Fender? I don't even know. Incredible track!

I just listened to that tonight. I does sound incredible with the horns.