TwiLiTe

SSnyder

Spelling and capitalization are very important, although many people no longer seem to think so.

However, capitalization is what makes the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

There should be no ambiguity about things like that...

• Moderators

Spelling and capitalization are very important, although many people no longer seem to think so.

However, capitalization is what makes the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

There should be no ambiguity about things like that...

Very good point.

I am guilty of capitalization and spelling errors plus much worse, but I hope it can at least be read. I do feel better after reading something in the sub section where someone wanted to add a 3rd sub and this was posted ! [:P]

" thats just basss *** demo wathc that ok tell me what u think about it wild or what super car mote rman lol "

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/144752.aspx

Cambridge Spelling Research

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid.

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!

Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!

Sure, spelling is important, but even more important is using the right words. When people substitute "then" for "than", "where" for "were", "your" for "you're", "of" for "have", "hear" for "here", interchangeably use "they're", "there" and "their", along with mixing up plurals and possessives (it's two cars, not two car's, and two TVs, not two TV's), it can be hard to see what they're trying to say.

Even worse is the recent tendency to omit words like "not", so you can't be sure whether the sentence is saying Yes or No. Examples would be, "This speaker sounds better than that one, but it matter to me." or "That was a good deal, but I bought it anyway." Say what???

Oh well, it could be worse, like if we started getting posts in L33t. Th3y'd b3 much h4rd34 2 r33d.

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet

Good luck with that! Even if it were possible, within a year, lots of words would begin to have local meanings as well as their "national" meanings, and in a generation or so, we'd be back where we started.

English and most other widely-used languages are constantly evolving. You might be able to lock in one form, or dialect, of the language in a given area, but nation-wide or world-wide, it would be near impossible.

Spanish, for example, comes in Mexican and Spanish varieties, as well as a number of others, never mind regional dialects. I'm not talking just pronunciation, but meaning as well.

For that matter, picture a Texan and a Cockney Londoner having a conversation. They're both speaking English, technically, but it might be hard to tell at first listen.