Wow! Its crazy out there

jacksonbart

Probably as important as the Romans.

Big Smile They were the Roman empire (i.e., they never called themselves "Byzantines"--they called themselves "the Roman Empire"). They survived up until 1453 and they were the cause of the Crusades--when Emperor Alexios I Komnenos called for help in 1095...and the Christians that followed were the ones that finally overthrew Constantinople.

Back in high school, we thought the joke about the Holy Roman Empire was that it was neither holy nor Roman, and not much of an empire either. Does it have a better reputation nowadays?

al-Gaddafi and Isa Al Khlifa are facing a massive plublic upraisings, Mubarak resigned last week and now Al has resigned just last night. What gives?

Just as we saw the fall of communism (most of it, anyway) twenty years ago, now we're seeing the start of the fall of autocracy, whether the autocrats be dictators, kings, emirs, caliphs or whatever.

Hopefully, it will result in improved lives for the people in the affected countries. It doesn't always turn out for the better, like in Russia, where a few are getting very rich, while millions are starving and/or drinking themselves to death. Russian male life expectancy is now down to the mid-fifties and there are villages of widows, where all the men drank themselves into early graves. Going from communism to democracy did not put a car in every Russian's driveway or even a chicken in every Russian's pot.

China, on the other hand, opened up their economy, rather than their political system, so their citizens don't have the right to speak out or choose their leaders, but they do have the right to make a few yuan. It's not ideal, but at least the people aren't starving.

Meanwhile, over in Korea, the Jong-il dynasty, being autocratic communists, must be starting to really feel alone in the world.

The only thing I have to add is it will probably get worse before it gets better.....

Didn't we just withdrawl from Iraq? (Mostly?). They have a prostest scheduled for tomorrow in all major Iraqi cities.

Iran will be next......

Who is ready for $6.00 per gallon of gas?

Man! That's cheap! If my calculations and conversions are right, we are close to $10 already... [:D]

The only thing I have to add is it will probably get worse before it gets better.....

Didn't we just withdrawl from Iraq? (Mostly?). They have a prostest scheduled for tomorrow in all major Iraqi cities.

Iran will be next......

Man! That's cheap! If my calculations and conversions are right, we are close to $10 already... Big Smile

As with most other countries the price of gas is heavily taxed. We pay a little over 3 dollars now. I think from a german tourist I talked to on the train he said it was 2 euro a liter.

Iran will be next......

Perhaps we really are in the "End Times"...... Indifferent

Why did God put our oil under their sand?

We have plenty of oil in our unexplored wilderness but We want to be politically correct and leave that in a pristine state. That being said
we do need to get our act together and further enhance our use of alternative power supplies. I am for nuclear power and as dangerous as
it could be, for now we have to accept it. But if we are going to risk the potential disaster to the environment a nuclear power plant can
bring, then we should also be willing to drill for oil anywhere where we can get it. Just my 2 cents.

There is another option that I was going to post but it may cause to much of an uproar.

Oh I hate Nader for this..... Nuclear is safer in nearly all respects comparatively to any form of energy. Coal kills more people per year in just mining the damn stuff than nuclear. Hydroelectric holds the record in killing people (a dam collapsed and wiped a town out) Europe has an anti movement to wind power due to the noise and ice throw (300 foot tall windturbines when subject to snow and ice and a burst of wind are known to throw sheets of ice 1/2 a mile or so that cut houses in half) This information came from my Croatian friend) Also if it were not for our government deciding to use uranium based power plants to keep a steady supply of nulcear weapons we most certainly would have gone to thorium based nuclear which is much safer and can be reprocessed and recycled over and over with very little nuclear waste.

Jay said

Oh I hate Nader for this..... Nuclear is safer in nearly all respects comparatively to any form of energy. Coal kills more people per year in just mining the *** stuff than nuclear.

I thought it was Jane Fonda and "The China Syndrome". Just another reason to dislike her.

Jay said

Oh I hate Nader for this..... Nuclear is safer in nearly all respects comparatively to any form of energy. Coal kills more people per year in just mining the *** stuff than nuclear.

I thought it was Jane Fonda and "The China Syndrome". Just another reason to dislike her.

I thought Jane Fonda was part of Nader's Raiders.

If we had nuclear, there would be less of a energy problem we have now. I live in a state that has the highest percentage from nuclear power and we are fine.

There was mention that the simpsons was wy nuclear was never accepted in America.

Also yeah there is a funny situation in one of the nuclear plants around us. They do maintenance around now (february/march) every year and I believe the carp that thrive on the warm water die in mass. They are supposed to built a cooling tower for that sooner or later.

The ones you really have to watch out for are our own politicians, very scary. Embarrassed

Oh, I thought that was the Prez driving. The mayor of Chi town and his buddy with the black comb over on the side. They were driving the economy or economy car.