Ok. Which is better for a cabinet

I've decided what my project will stack up like now I need to know the best material to use. I will be building 2 boxes first will be 36" wide 20" tall and 24" deep ported and will house 1 jbl2245h 18" driver this will handle everything below 60hz...................2nd cabinet will be 36" wide 24" deep and 20" tall it will house 2 altec 421-8lf drivers ported as well and will handle everything from 320 hz down.......................the 1003b with altec 291-16c will set on top of the other 2 cabinets. I like the idea of 2 cabinets stacked as they will be tons easier to move. So what's best to use for the cabinets. I like Baltic birch but don't know if I can get it. Joe

I've decided what my project will stack up like now I need to know the best material to use. I will be building 2 boxes first will be 36" wide 20" tall and 24" deep ported and will house 1 jbl2245h 18" driver this will handle everything below 60hz...................2nd cabinet will be 36" wide 24" deep and 20" tall it will house 2 altec 421-8lf drivers ported as well and will handle everything from 320 hz down.......................the 1003b with altec 291-16c will set on top of the other 2 cabinets. I like the idea of 2 cabinets stacked as they will be tons easier to move. So what's best to use for the cabinets. I like Baltic birch but don't know if I can get it. Joe

Joe,

I do not have the answer to your question; but I am not such an *** as to try and insult you for your plans.....

Not sure where to score good straight plywood; but hopefully some REAL MEMBERS will chime in......

S Snyder.... you should go back to school and learn some manners. (Grow up dude). [bs]

( Reminds me of DJ NICK)

Driver Properties
Name: 421-8LF
Type: Standard one-way driver
Company: Altec Lansing
No. of Drivers = 2
Mounting = Standard
Wiring = Parallel
Fs = 27.5 Hz
Qms = 2.75
Vas = 576 liters
Cms = 0.595 mm/N
Mms = 56.32 g
Rms = 3.539 kg/s
Xmax = 1.27 mm
Xmech = 1.905 mm
P-Dia = 12.77 in
Sd = 825.8 sq.cm
P-Vd = 0.105 liters
Qes = 0.28
Re = 5.5 ohms
Z = 8 ohms
BL = 13.83 Tm
Qts = 0.25
no = 4.1 %
1-W SPL = 98.3 dB
2.83-V SPL = 99.9 dB
-----------------------------------------
Box Properties
Name:
Type: Vented Box
Shape: Prism, square (optimum)
Vb = 8.188 cu.ft
Fb = 39.73 Hz
QL = 5.436
F3 = 58.29 Hz
Fill = minimal
No. of Vents = 4
Vent shape = round
Vent ends = one flush
Dv = 4 in
Lv = 5.245 in
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: 421-8LF
Type: Standard one-way driver
Company: Altec Lansing
No. of Drivers = 2
Mounting = Standard
Wiring = Parallel
Fs = 27.5 Hz
Qms = 2.75
Vas = 576 liters
Cms = 0.595 mm/N
Mms = 56.32 g
Rms = 3.539 kg/s
Xmax = 1.27 mm
Xmech = 1.905 mm
P-Dia = 12.77 in
Sd = 825.8 sq.cm
P-Vd = 0.105 liters
Qes = 0.28
Re = 5.5 ohms
Z = 8 ohms
BL = 13.83 Tm
Qts = 0.25
no = 4.1 %
1-W SPL = 98.3 dB
2.83-V SPL = 99.9 dB
-----------------------------------------
Box Properties
Name:
Type: Closed Box
Shape: Prism, square (optimum)
Vb = 4.797 cu.ft
Qtc = 0.707
QL = 13.82
F3 = 82.07 Hz
Fill = minimal

Hi Joe, BB plywood is the only way to go IMHO. I typically buy it in 5'x5' sheets 19mm (3/4") and it runs around 45 per sheet. It is wonderful for building cabinets and once you work with it you won't go back to anything else.

Hi Joe

I do my shopping on craigslist, you need to wait to find stuff but good deals can be had. I looked at

http://www.boulterplywood.com/products_hardwoodplywood_4.htm

to find out some basic information

Lots of good info on what a good supplier will have. They list there current prices on what they offer and also carry 1 inch 1 1/8 and 1 1/4 MDF in 4 x 8 and some 4 x 10 (1 1/4 inch). Many of the better suppliers will have 1 inch hardwood plywood in limited species of faces, I think that most of the cores are poplar, or at least that is what Boulter Plywood caries. I ended up laminated two sheets of Baltic birch to get what I wanted as I found 12 and 15 mm sheets in 5 x 5 for $15 a sheet. I got 15 sheets for $225 last summer, I should have bought the rest of the 15mm but didn’t have the money or place to store it correctly (laying flat on a flat floor). It’s not the way I wanted to do it but the money was in line with what I wanted to pay. It was a lot of work to make decent panels and my press was all of the scrap metal I had around the house, I probably had 700 to 800 pounds to use and I ended up loosing some material on the perimeter of some sheets doing it this way. I am building Cornwall clones at the moment with more craigslist 3/4 S.A. Mahogany for the sides and fronts and left over laminated double 12mm Baltic birch for the backs and internal bracing. I weighed the cut plywood the other day and it came out to 77 pound for just the wood parts.

Joe, There are a lot of post on the forum about subwoofer construction and because of the relative size (area vs thickness) of you cabs, some insight as to how these folks did internal bracing might be insightful. For large cabs, I personally like panels that slide into mitered grooves which have large circle cut outs in them. The same approach used to make wooden I-Beams. for large cuts I use a panel saw. Also have one of these. 30 bucks at home depot. it lets you make straight cuts with out having to move large sheets of ply across a table saw. its called a

Accu-Rip Accu-Rip Circular Saw Guide

post-22082-13819637969882_thumb.png

• Moderators

If you have problems finding other wood, you could always try the Hardwood plywood they sell at Home Depot. I have used it before and at $50 a sheet for 3/4" it's really good for the price considering the trashy BC plywood is over $30 a sheet now. I have gone through almost 20 sheets on projects over the last few years and had no problems with it, also it really rare to find a void .

If not try to find somewhere local that specializes in fine wood, there is a place here but that does not do you any good where your at. I would love to try some of these flavors they sell here, l had called a while back and was surprised at the prices, most were between $40 and $75 per sheet.

http://www.riversidelumber.com/frameset.htm

Joe, I would shop around on the BB. 75 per sheet is off the chart as far as price goes. I just hung up with my supplier to make sure the market didn't take a big shift and was quoted 44 per sheet.

I can find 3/4 inch BB in Cincinnati for $58.00 on a 4x8 sheet, and $35.00 for 5x5 (Rockler, and its really nice stuff). Paying $75.00 a sheet is way too much!

Plywood which is void free made from selects and better veneer will not have any buzzez or rattles. Panels made up from equal thickness laminates of ply and MDF will give excellent results. The plywood provides the stiffness while the MDF damps the ply panel. Cost is lower than straight ply construction and the panel is damped and acoustically dead. Best regards Moray James.