UMC vs. XMC (in relation to UPA7 sale)

kde

Do you think Emotiva will have a closeout sale on the UMC once the XMC is released? I haven't been following the company long enough to know how they operate. I picked up the UPA7 and probably won't have any need for the XMC versus the UMC (since UPA doesn't have XLR).

Emotiva has sales fairly often, usually around holidays so maybe an Easter sale will be their next one.

I think Emotiva will offer both the UMC-1 and XMC-1 after the XMC-1 is released so I don't expect a closeout sale, but I am sure that the UMC-1 will probably be on sale before long.

Personally I think you are better off looking for a nice used Onkyo Professional model processor. These are much nicer than the Emotiva processors and you can find a nice used one for about the price of the Emotiva's.

Here is a link to the discontinued Onkyo Professional processor line.

http://www.onkyopro.com/prod_class.cfm?class=Preamplifier&m=all'> http://www.onkyopro.com/prod_class.cfm?class=Preamplifier&m=all

I picked up my PR-SC885P used for only $600 in like new condition and boxed up in the original packaging as if it was new, the seller was a great person to buy from. I bought it a few months ago and couldn't be happier with my choice.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I was referring to the Onkyo Professional model processors which are a huge leap up in performance. You can find some excellent deals on them used if you keep an eye out for them.

My eye spotted this one. Super price.

http://cgi.videogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?prea71ch&1304552241&&&/-Onkyo-PR-SC885-Preamp-Process

Bill

I checked out the item at Audiogon. I'm just not sure about getting a used unit from 2007 when I can get a new UMC1 with warranty and $400 savings card for only a $200 savings. I like that it did have the THX 2 certification.

Here's one in the Garage Sale section:

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/145763.aspx

That's actually a receiver, I was referring to the Onkyo Professional model processors which are a huge leap up in performance. You can find some excellent deals on them used if you keep an eye out for them.

Apologies. You can tell I do not know Onkyo's line very well.

• Moderators

Wow Bill. That looks sweet! Very affordable too. Even has 4 HDMI in, and 2 HDMI Out and is THX certified. Got me thinking if it would be an upgrade to my Yamaha. LOL.

I don't know about a close out deal but if you buy a UMC etc....you'll get your next generation prepro for 40% off.I personally would be thrilled with the UMC for retail but $300 off was pretty sweet too.The Onkyos may be something to look at, for me the garage is about as far as they get.

Do you think Emotiva will have a closeout sale on the UMC once the XMC is released? I haven't been following the company long enough to know how they operate. I picked up the UPA7 and probably won't have any need for the XMC versus the UMC (since UPA doesn't have XLR).

The XMC isn't a replacement for the UMC, rather its a higher level pre-amp. Just like how their XPA amps are a higher level amp than their UPA amps are.

I checked out the item at Audiogon. I'm just not
sure about getting a used unit from 2007 when I can get a new UMC1 with
warranty and $400 savings card for only a $200 savings. I like that it
did have the THX 2 certification.

Well I can't say the
condition of that one in the ad, but it is a very good price, also it
originally retailed for $1899, not $1599 as the ad states. The 885 is quite a class above both the UMC-1 and coming XMC-1.

Mine I bought in November (2010) was just like buying new, perfect condition. I can say that this is an absolute jewel of a processor and I could not be happier with it. The sound is excellent it's amazing for both music and HT, video processing is also very very good. Absolutely no quirks and does everything I want it to perfectly. I had always bought my receivers new but this was one of the best deals I have ever made. I have seen 3 of them for sale since buying mine they sell fast!

What exactly do you use video processing for? SD Tv and DVDs? Also you find a discernable sound difference when using it over say over the tx-srx05 receivers?

You can adjust the output of hdmi (I believe also component) passthrough, auto, 720p, 1080i, 1080p. This (accept for passthrough) uses the Reon-HQV HD video scaling which is very good. The DAC's are Burr Brown also very good.

The 885 was a very nice upgrade from my older 900 receiver (I paid $1599 for the receiver new, $600 for the 885 used). The sound quality improved considerably, detail and imaging were improved, the picture quality had a nice improvement, the features, adjustments and usability with my amps improved. With the 3 assignable triggers only the amp(s) I am using are turned ON, one amp for 2 channel, both my amps for multichannel. I also liked using the XLR outputs to my amps. Overall it was a significant improvement to my system, I could not be any happier with both its quality and performance.

. The 885 is quite a class above both the UMC-1 and coming XMC-1.

Eh.......yes......we all have the right to our opinion.From a musical standpoint the 885 was step down to my ears and spent two nights at my house.There's nothing wrong with liking whatever, just say why and leave it at that is always a good idea.

I grabbed the 885... thanks for the advice. Figured I couldn't go wrong and this will buy me some years at an affordable price (wanted to upgrade to HDMI before I rewired my rack).

Congrats, I think you are going to love it.

Don't be afraid to play around and experiment with settings and tweaks to find the sound you like best. I spent a while finding what really worked well for me and learning to make the most of Audyessy and other settings, the end result sounds extremely nice. I'd be happy to share some of the tricks I have found.