Do you lube your power tools?

Guest " "

My panel saw motor froze. called around for an estimate to repair and got the usual 25 to bench it.....65 per hour o fix...plus parts...10 day turn around time. asked if I caused the problem since I never lubed the motor...was told no, bearings are sealed...can't lube them. took it apart and found a 2 dollar end bearing had blew a bearing race. ordered the bearing....had to cut the race off...but got it out and new one installed. found that the bearing was completely open and it looked like it could handle some axle grease....so I lubed it up and re-assembled. took the other side apart...found two bearings in good shape...and a worm gear packed with grease....cleaned out the old grease and regreased. Put everything back together and fired her up...sounded brand new....bought it used...so it was sounding better than when I got it. Now Im wondering...should I check my table saw...router...powered miter saw...hand radial saw...drills....etc? anyone lube the motor bearings on a regular basis? I'm thinking that router takes a good beaten and would be next on my list.

• Moderators

I hate sealed "things" that can not be oiled, I would much rather a way to oil, or a grease fitting.

The only tools I oil are the air tools, I would hate to go taking things apart to see if they can be oiled

I struck out...spent an entire evening at the Home Depot and didn't get to lube anything. Maybe I should try the tools at a swap meet--I hear they're easy. Man am I pathetic.

I think a " swap meet" would give you alot of opportunities to lube something, I think "swap meet tools" are expected to be lubed for correct operation.

Fan on Natural gas heater. Could not get to rear motor bearing. Sprayed the $not out of it with motorcycle chain lube. Took care of low rpm problem, and it's been at least a couple years now. Lot cheaper then last motor, or the one before. Come to think of it, that lube, at $9/can has been used on a lot of things besides motorcycle chain. What am I saying? Not a motorcycle forum. Oh heck, 13 year old nephew took 1st in his class last week. Racing less then a year. Runs a mean back hoe too.

I found that sealed bearings fromTaiwan have just a touch of grease in them compared to American made bearings. With todays standards of minimum everything they don't last very long. Some vertical positioned motors Taiwan made don't even have thrust bearings in them. If the double seals on the bearings are of good quality it does no good to lube them but sometimes you might be able to bust them loose with Blaster.

JJK

The power I use most is an air ratchet for the car swapping tires/wheels over sesonally for all our cars (think NASCAR and you get the picture).

But, yes, I add about 1/4 oz. of 30 weight oil down the ol' air fitting every 2-cars' worth and it's been fine for the last 12-years.

It has Sears' name on it but it was really built by Ingersoll Rand.

Greased for life means greased for life. In other words, the bearing will work until it doesn't anymore.. How convenient right? The only tools of mine that I lube are my air tools, but like you I've had luck in the past self-diagnosing things when they break and coming up with means to fix them myself rather than pay out the a$$ for repair services.

I struck out...spent an entire evening at the Home Depot and didn't get to lube anything. Maybe I should try the tools at a swap meet--I hear they're easy. Man am I pathetic.

Don't you mean swap meat?