Somebody talk me out of this!

Brac

I still remember the long term misery that followed selling my first pair of Forte II's. Now as I set here listening to the $50 Chorus I's I just picked up, I'm thinking hey this seems like an upgrade. I hate sellers remorse, I love my Forte II's. Granted I have the Chorus's hooked up to the Bryston B4, that I'm thinking about selling (can you say second thoughts). I know, I know move the chorus's out from in front of the Forte's and do some A-B testing. But just that thought of unhooking the Forte's makes me nervous. CRAP

post-28352-13819638862748_thumb.jpg

I have a similar quandry with Quartets and Chorus IIs...my Quartets are perfect, Walnut Oiled and have Crites Titanium tweeter diaphragms as well as updated crossovers from Bob and Michael...

...my Chorus IIs have Crites Titanium tweeter diaphragms but no updated crossovers as yet...

When I lesten to the Quartets, I am very happy and feel there is no need to stray from them...then I listen to the Chorus IIs and their 15" bass and think...these are the one's to keep...but they are big heavy speakers...

...what to keep and what to move...no easy answer...

Bill

The Chorus II's would win out for me, Bill. The more open mids and deeper bass response make them a clear winner in my book, and I would have those upgraded all the way for the long haul. Tractrix horns, too....they image very nicely.

The Chorus I vs the Fortes is a different animal, though. My only complaint about the Chorus I is that the lower bass response doesn't kick in until you put a little volume on them, and even then they don't go as low as CIIs and Fortes do. The Fortes and Chorus IIs are much better in this area, make sure you can live with the Chorus I bass before making your final decision. But for $50, it's the best speaker deal evah - you get the mid and highs of the larger heritage and that's worth many multiples of the $50 you spent.

The Chorus II's are as close to "the complete and total package" as you can get without going to the Cornwall (and CIIs have advantages over Cornwalls, too) or the Belle/LaScala/Klipschorn. CII is very underrated and does not get the attention they deserve.

The Chorus II's would win out for me, Bill. The more open mids and deeper bass response make them a clear winner in my book, and I would have those upgraded all the way for the long haul. Tractrix horns, too....they image very nicely.

The Chorus I vs the Fortes is a different animal, though. My only complaint about the Chorus I is that the lower bass response doesn't kick in until you put a little volume on them, and even then they don't go as low as CIIs and Fortes do. The Fortes and Chorus IIs are much better in this area, make sure you can live with the Chorus I bass before making your final decision. But for $50, it's the best speaker deal evah - you get the mid and highs of the larger heritage and that's worth many multiples of the $50 you spent.

The Chorus II's are as close to "the complete and total package" as you can get without going to the Cornwall (and CIIs have advantages over Cornwalls, too) or the Belle/LaScala/Klipschorn. CII is very underrated and does not get the attention they deserve.

It is almost a given to me to keep them both. For one thing the Forte's are irreplaceable. And the Chorus 1's are also underated, IMO. The listening levels I do never disallow the Chorus bass response to be present. You could do the port extension modification with the Chorus, but I have yet to feel the need to. Unless you are really low on space, you have the ability to appreciate some complimentary synergies of the big brother/little sister. This from a Chorus 1 and afterwards Forte happy owner.

I would keep them both! I had Forte II but sold them and kind of always regretted it, I kept them in mint cond. which is hard to find used the way I kept mine. I have so many speakers that I had to let some go, so be careful, there is such a thing as collecting too many speakers!

forte II (it's lower case f, like a musical notation) . . .

Hey Mr. Colter,

I think the small f concept is super cool and am ready to jump on the bandwagon, but all the old literature on the Klipsch site:

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/forte-ii-details/

& even the FIIs on the backs of my speakers are in caps. Are you saying you think the "official" spelling is small letter f (like a musical notation) and not a capital F?

Frank W.

I've had Forte IIs for a while now and love them. Picked up Chorus IIs a month ago. Thought about selling the Forte IIs for maybe half an hour. I'm keeping both! My wife is understanding and the basement has room. End of line.

Once you find Chorus IIs for $75, compare them to the Is, then sell one pair. Problem solved! [:D]

The Forte II I had, the label on back were in F (CAPS), and also on the speaker box, so don't know, first time I heard this but makes sense that it could be lower f.

Is that how Klipsch originally intended it to be?

The input terminals on my forte IIs has it with a lowercase 'f'.

If you can swing it then keep them both - I've had KG 1s, KG-4s, Fortes, Chorus IIs, RF-7s and have sold them all in an effort to upgrade. In the end I wish I had kept the Chorus IIs, Fortes, or even the KG-4s. They all sounded really good and I regreted selling any of them. I have RF-7s again and will not repeat my mistake. Good luck with your speaker conundrum.

Colter, Thanks for sharing the brochure! Nice learning about these little things that I didn't know about. Enjoyed looking at and reading the brochure. Wish I would have kept my forte II speakers!

Rivernuggets, I agree... you should NOT sell your forte or Chorus speakers!! They are gems. I've had a very hard time even finding Chorus in my area, and when I have... they've already been sold by the time I inquired about them.

orrb_05, I still have my RF-7 and Klipschorn's. I won't sell my RF-7. I haven't sold my Klipschorn's yet but I'm afraid if I do... I might regret it, even though I do have larger diy super cornwalls that are larger than the Klipschorn with horns and drivers. My other half would still like to see the Klipschorn's go but I've manage to hang on them with the complaints, but I do admit that I've got too many speakers than the room for them! It was agreed that if I do the HT build, I will have to sell the KLF-20 that was being used for HT.... just don't know if I will be able to let them go!! I need one giant listening room that I could put all the speakers in! [8]

Of course the crazies here say keep both.

That is the best option if you can afford it.

If you cannot, it is all about your ears on A-B testing.

Even if you keep them, it has not been explained what to do with them. I am always a fan of stacking [;)]

Put the little brother (upside down) on top of the big brother and run both at once.