I think I've gone completely mad...

I found another pair of la scalas on craigslist a few days ago and I just had to have them. They were upgraded with Crites' tweeters, A/4500 networks, cast woofers, and had Fastrac squawker horns installed all for under $1500.

After I got them home it became clear that the person that performed the upgrades on the speakers had no idea what he was doing... All of the hardware was replaced with cheesy brass screws, most of which were of incorrect size and didn't grip the holes. I'm surprised the tweeters didn't fall out during the trip home. The Fastrac horns didn't have L brackets supporting them either.

And then I opened the woofer chamber. Both speakers had their woofers loosely held in by two brass wood screws instead of the 10x24 machine screws. One woofer was loose in the doghouse, the other wasn't flat against the slot board. The installer made new screw holes next to the existing hardware, and only started to grind one side of the woofer baskets.

I made a trip to my local hardware store and bought all the correct parts and proceeded to fix the speakers. I'm astonished that someone knew about about the upgraded parts and paid $1000 for them and yet failed to install them with even the slightest bit of care!

I've always wanted to do this. It has satisfied the child inside me...

5693979317_4c52fc921d_z.jpg

5694553124_f06e01f134_b.jpg

My MC 30s are in the shop so I'm currently using a Keyocera R-461 for the bottom (new) speakers andI'm driving the bass bins in the tops with a Crown amp.

Terrible, just terrible. Worst case of misguided placement I've ever seen. Your computer should be at the back of the room. Then you can more easily come here and go "Ohmygod, did you hear that trumpet? What about the drums? Kicking killer bass! Man, does she sound sweet, you just know she's singing to me."

Fix this before you report back.

As far as the repairs, I favor chromed screws, just in case 57 Chevy's come back at which point I'll pop off the back and be at the cutting edge.

Guest " "

you do realize that when you sit down, the top two speakers will be 180 degree out of phase and when you stand up the bottom two speakers will be 180 degree out of phase. you will have to spin around 180 degrees as you stand to compensate other wise you will have a phase shift. If you do the spin to quickly, you will really screw things up because them you would have created a time alignment anomaly. If that happens, you will have to repeat the maneuver in the other direction. It will take some practice to get it right and what ever you do, do not look into a mirror while you do this....you might wind up in a dimensional swap and find yourself in alice and wonderland.

• Moderators

It will take some practice to get it right and what ever you do, do not look into a mirror while you do this....you might wind up in a dimensional swap and find yourself in alice and wonderland

This we will need pictures of ! [;)]

The room looks fine except the computer is at the wrong end of the room, or turn the speakers and have big headphones.

Congratulations on the great score! [Y]

You do realize you will have Lobbing issues with two Tweeters and Mid horns right on top of each other, but hey, if I had two pairs of La Scalas, I'd probably do the same thing.....for a little while at least. [;)]

Dennie