Help me buy a shotgun

CECAA850

Mercy, let me see. Front door, Stevens short barreled pump, living room, Kimber CPD 45, bedroom, Ruger Mini 14, 223, office, double barrel 12 GA Husky, inside shop, Kimber, custom 45, outside shop Thompson classic 22, downstairs bedroom, Khorn room, Winchester, 450 lever action, Gun room a whole bunch of other guns.

No matter what you use, practice, practice practice, in the dark a lot of things change, you don't want to be shooting your wife, girlfriend, kids, or dog/cat.

Be careful my friend.

CB

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are plenty of sites for gun nuts, why do you find it necessary to pollute an audio site?

Exactly right. Guns aren't home entertainment or everyday household devices. Not in a civilized country, anyway.

you should be fine with most any pump shotgun out there...most stick to 12GA and pump for ease of use and little worry of a failure when needed (as might happen with an improperly maintained semi auto)...I would look for a reputable used (or new if money isn't a huge worry since they aren't THAT expensive) Remington 870 like you referenced in your first post...also worth considering...Mossberg 500, 590...Benelli, Browning, etcetera...stick to the big names and you'll be fine...many of the "off brands" (made in China and elsewhere) are fine but can be heavier than the models they tend to copy...If you need one for the whole family...perhaps look at a similar shotgun in 20GA...the firearms forums will help you decide (or confuse you more) on a proper all around load for HD... Bill

Thanks Bill.

Have you considered a Taurus Judge ? I have the 3" chamber 3" barrel version . The 3" 410 000 buckshot round is a beast ; for a handgun . 5 36cal pieces of shot hitting the target at the same time would ruin a critters day , regardless of what size the critter may be .

I have seen those, but I currently have a 357 and wasn't looking for another pistol (even if it CAN shoot 410's!).

I have seen those, but I currently have a 357 and wasn't looking for another pistol (even if it CAN shoot 410's!).

410 shot and slugs , 45 LC , and flares . I think a flare would be a nice finisher in the right environment .

Now, where can I buy one of those bullpups? Stick out tongue

Boxx throws a teaser then hauls a$$.Stick out tongue

Hey now... I'm still hanging around... I got mine at a gun show... I'm not sure where they are available now...

There are plenty of sites for gun nuts, why do you find it necessary to pollute an audio site?

You want audio??

How about a song.... I got one for ya, and you may know the lyrics!

"Go away... little girl!"

Home defense is a serious subject, the question is, how much can, or are you willing to spend to protect your family?

It would be considdered a serious purchase compared to most shown here, but my vote would be for you to go to gunbroker.com and buy a used SPAS 12 with a folding stock and optional hook. They operate as both a pump and a Semi-auto, jacking the first round in may be cool, but sucks for the follow up shot, especially if you have multiple armed targets! Give me a high capacity Semi 12 gauge any day against any of those pumps.

I like to start with #4 in the pipe first as I figgure I may be shooting inside, want pattern, without major wall penatration, go to #2 for 2 rounds, then 00 Buck, and finish with slugs and dragons breath for outside.

Roger

You want audio??

"Little girl"? Really?

Maybe guns are part of your daily life and seem as mundane to you as the toaster and the lawnmower, but not everyone feels that way. There's no need to mock someone who thinks gun discussions should be on gun forums, not on an audio forum.

You want audio??

"Little girl"? Really?

Maybe guns are part of your daily life and seem as mundane to you as the toaster and the lawnmower, but not everyone feels that way. There's no need to mock someone who thinks gun discussions should be on gun forums, not on an audio forum.

I didn't see you complain when baby pictures were posted, or boat pictures. If you don't like it, or you find the subject offensive, move on to another topic. I'm sure there must be topics in this forum that do intrest "you". Otherwise you would not be here attempting to censure what others want to discuss.

CECAA850...a pump should be the easiest to use under stress and the least likely to have issues with under stress...the Remington 870 has been made (in its various forms) for a l o n g time and should be the easiest to find used...they really don't wear out...the safety on the Remington is behind the trigger guard...Mossberg makes it a bit easier (and I think ergonomically) by putting the safety on top of the receiver...most any should do what you want...as for load...be cognizant of load picked if you are anticipating shooting inside your home (penetration of slug or buck)...as for this not belonging here...John W covered it...everything's okay until you talk about firearms...we talk about near everything on this forum, firearms should be no different...Just my .02...

Bill

I really didn't think I'd pick up so much flak (pun intended). This isn't a thread about whether or not guns are good or bad. I was looking for advice from forum member as to their personal preference and past experience on a purchase. To me this forum covers an extremely diverse cross section of personalities and professions. There are some EXTREMELY bright people who post here as well. I'd take an opinion from a Klipsch forum member before I would from a gun forum member as I believe ther would be less of an agenda here than there. If someone doesn't like my topic, piss off and post somewhere else. I've tried to ignore negative posts up till now and will again after this post. If Amy thinks this thread is offensive, she'll lock it and rightly so, it's Klipsch's forum. If not, I'll continue to ask questions and read responses.

CECAA850...a pump should be the easiest to use under stress and the least likely to have issues with under stress...the Remington 870 has been made (in its various forms) for a l o n g time and should be the easiest to find used...they really don't wear out...the safety on the Remington is behind the trigger guard...Mossberg makes it a bit easier (and I think ergonomically) by putting the safety on top of the receiver...most any should do what you want...as for load...be cognizant of load picked if you are anticipating shooting inside your home (penetration of slug or buck)...as for this not belonging here...John W covered it...everything's okay until you talk about firearms...we talk about near everything on this forum, firearms should be no different...Just my .02... Bill

Bill, the 870 seems like a very popular gun, especially when you consider the price. Can it be outfitted with flashlights, laser sights and the like? Remington also has a "Home Defense" cartridge (or something like that). Have you seen those?

You want audio??

"Little girl"? Really?

Yes, REALLY "little girl", and I call HIPOCRACY on you and all the other queers that cried foul on guns, but not any of the other non audio discussions hear.

You really feel armed for an itellectual debate? I thing you are unarmed as it were.

Roger

All the talk about semi-auto being less reliable than a pump is hog-wash and uninformed opinion.

The only time you will have a problem with semi-auto is if you let it get extremely dirty and you try to fire a light load such as bird shot or a ***** load. In these instances, the gun may very well hang up enough to prevent total ejection of the round after firing, but I don't know of anyone who would use a light load for home defense. An 11/87 remington will fire a heavy load no matter how dirty it gets.

That being said, if you are sold on a pump, I sugest that the 870 remington is better then a winchester or mossburg, especially older mosburgs with the single pump slide that are notorious for problems.

Roger

That being said, if you are sold on a pump, I sugest that the 870 remington is better then a winchester or mossburg, especially older mosburgs with the single pump slide that are notorious for problems.

Roger

Thanks Roger. I'm not sold on anything........yet. That being said, I am leaning more towards new than used, merely because I really don't know what to look for in a used purchase. I'm thinking it's down to the 870 and a Benelli. The Benelli's are a little more expensive but they have some reasonably priced tactical guns that are close in price to an 870. On the other hand I like the fact that the 870 has been arround for ever and has a reputation of being extremely reliable. Still waffling here........................