Klipsch WILL NOT POST NEGATIVE REVIEWS!!!

sosations

I'll go on record stating I don't really care for MDF myself and all my Klipsch are plywood classics. (I need to go and check the boxes on my new KP-305s and see if they are plywood.)

However, I completely understand Klipsch using it. It is about the sound first and an overbuilt cabinet second. They got their priorities straight. MDF performs better acoustically, and I'm sure those with the MDF cabinets have better sound (probably more bass) than us with the indestructable plywood cabinets.

About the only thing that would hurt the new cabinets is a severe drop or moisture................so just take care of them. How hard is that?

I do think the overly negative review was too strong for the situation because the cabinets didn't come apart............it is just assumed they will at some point because of the MDF. I just don't agree.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps MDF doesn't stand up to water or corner impacts as well as plywood, but for home speaker use it seems to hold up just fine. My four black ash Heresy speakers are over twenty years old, still look good, and still have square corners.

The 1974 black birch La Scalas' plywood cabinets, on the other hand, have a few rounded corners. Their veneer is also definitely "utility finish", which I noticed when I bought them. If I'd been insistent on getting similar-sounding speakers with a furniture grade finish, I'd have saved up for a pair of La Scala IIs, regardless of what's under the veneer.

sosations, what sorts of music sound good to you? Have you played some of your favourite songs on your new speakers? I hope you can enjoy them and accept how they're built.

This discussion has been talked to death, so let's get back to enjoying music. Welcome to the forum.

Well lets go back to the topic. Klipsch did post the negative review. The website is undergoing changes, and it was a plausible explanation.

Klipsch have good reviews, because they make great speakers. The heritage line is not the money maker for Klipsch any more I am guessing. It is kept for the legacy, and to introduce more people to the great speakers. I am sure the used market cuts deep into the Heritage line sales because the build quality is so good and they last long time in good conditions. This goes for the mdf speakers such as Heresy II and III, quartets, forte's I&II, Chorus I&II and Academy's.

The build quality of Heritage speakers is great. I do not have enough experience myself to say ply is better than mdf. But I can say, the Chorus IIs I have are my favorite speaker, and has lasted a long time, as has the quartets I have gotten. They are both MDF. It seems as if the Heresys have been MDF since 1985. I do not know why this guy needs to attack Klipsch now for something that has been going on for so many years.

I agree that a 2 star rating is low for something that still sounds awesome. A speaker is mostly about sound over all else, so a 3-star is what I would expect if it sounds good. Everyone is using the furniture analogy. If I bought a pleather chair, and it was comfortable, why would I leave a bad review talking bad about it being pleather instead of leather, when it has been that way for 25 years? That just does not make sense.

People on this forum have grown together as friends and more. There are employees who have grown close to members here. When you say you will do what you can to make them lose sales, you are threatening friends livelihood. You can expect bad reactions from those friends.

You say you are willing to pay for the plywood cabinets. Well get a cabinet maker to make you a pair and move all of the components over. I assume you have taken good care of the cabinets. If they are as much junk as you say, just sell the cabinets to one of us "dummies" who have mdf Heresys when our cabinets fall apart. Then you are happy with the cabinets and have some money to offset the cost.

Skip,

What are you talking about???

Why are you picking on my mom, she didnt do anything to you???

Is nothing is sacred???

Also, how have I screwed up? .............by disagreeing with you??

And since when does it require courage to post your opinion? ABOUT A SPEAKER, on a message-board? heck, is this your litmus test for courage??

Sorry Sammy; you still do not get it.....

This forum is very different than most.

If you had taken the time to post and get to know some of us; you would see that. Instead; you began the sarcastic attacks....

"All because of a speaker".......

(Even mocking the idea that we might hang out and maintain real lfe friendships with our "Star Wars" action figures. I have always been a Star Trek fan myself).

Sammy; you will always be seen by some as disingenious; and for lack of a better word; fake.....

I have not always been correct with posts; or answering questions; etc. I can admit when I am wrong.

You should learn a little humility; and how to treat others when mommy isn't around........

Regarding the Eames Lounge (as an example of a brand that still cares about build) I have one, and use it all the time, (boatload of cash) but the tradition, style, & build associated with it made it a much easier buy. Many of the folks on this site would argue a chair like this is only for sitting, and build quality simply does not matter, so they could build it from molded plastic and they would still be happy, I on the other hand would not.

Sosa. It wouldn't be an Eames Lounge chair if it was bulit of MDF. And if the build quality wasn't good it wouldn't be worth buying as a chair. Build quality does matter to the people here. Nobody would by a molded plastic Eames Lounge chair if it was built of molded plastic as then it would just be a cheap imitation.

The Heresy III are very well built and are not junk. Now being made of MDF, if they are on a floor that gets flooded, then the box will probably be junk. Most here aren't upset about your not liking MDF as many of us don't like it either. But for a speaker enclosure material it works very well. Until it gets wet. Then I think it'd have to be wrapped in some sort of plastic covering to keep from turning into a box of wet swelled up sawdust. The Heresy III that I've seen do have very nice veneer.

If you don't like the MDF find some older models made of plywood or build your own Heresy III cabinets or have them built. They're a very simple speaker enclosure.

You just come across as a whiney crybaby. I'm sure you're not but that's how you sound to us calling Heresy III junk. Quite a few people here have them and have seen them made and in Hope.

They are not junk. And I believe Klipsch has posted your negative review. Nothing personal, but I'd feel kind of stupid had I written what you have so calm down and hang around for awhile. You just might find out some of these people you might think are so terrible are really very nice and very knowledgeable and helpful.

So welcome to the forum if you're going to play nice or if you're going to continue to whine, don't the let the virtual door whack you in the arse on your way out.

And congratulations on Forte's and Heresy III. I'm a bit jealous as I only have Heresy I's, resurrected from maybe the mid horn and motor board and pimped out by Groomlakearea51. I don't remember. I think he might have used plywood. I'll have to check but I have no intention of letting them get wet.

Now that is an inviting room...

Thanks Boxx.

I like this thread very much. I hope Amy doesn't lock it. It's got me thinking (hard thing to do lately.) From Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, there's a perception of quality or recognition of quality. We can't really define it but we know it when we encounter it. Holding a Rolex, a Hasselblad, or Ferrari streering wheel, you know the quality goes all the way through with no short cuts. Other watches, cameras, and cars may function as well (maybe even better) but the perception of quality just isn't there. Quality is often found in the fine touches that no one really sees. Someone cared to make it as good as possible right down to the most minor detail.

So, I think that's where the OP is coming from - he paid for a fine performing speaker that he wants to like (based on an appreciation the Klipsch legacy in part) but the speaker lacks a perceived element of "quality" that was once there. I agree it's disappointing but I also think that's part of the charm of Klipsch, they appeal to the dirt bag side of me. They're not Strativari and are probably the ugliest fine speakers out there regardless of exotic wood etc. I'm not really looking for material refinement or high style here but I love the sound and that's enough of the quality equation for me. The MDF is no big deal really and I don't think Klipsch can (or does) claim high end refinement - just great sound.

added note to sosations: Keep posting [Y] - this forum needs a good goosing now and then.

Holding a Rolex, a Hasselblad, or Ferrari streering wheel, you know the quality goes all the way through with no short cuts. Other watches, cameras, and cars may function as well (maybe even better) but the perception of quality just isn't there. Quality is often found in the fine touches that no one really sees. Someone cared to make it as good as possible right down to the most minor detail.

Yamaha has a term for the sensation you get from using products like that: kando

21000.PNG Kando
`Kando` is a Japanese word, used by Yamaha to describe their corporate mission. Kando in translation describes the sensation of profound excitement and gratification derived from experiencing supreme quality and performance.
Found on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kando

I don't think Klipsch can (or does) claim high end refinement - just great sound.

That may be true of most of the line, but according to reviews, the Palladium series of speakers look every bit as good as they sound, with build quality to match.

EDIT: Just read your reply after posting this. Thanks, sputnik!

I don't think Klipsch can (or does) claim high end refinement - just great sound.

That may be true of most of the line, but according to reviews, the Palladium series of speakers look every bit as good as they sound, with build quality to match.

I'll never share breathing space with a Palladium - they're in a special class and, from what I've gathered as well, I'm sure Palladium = "Quality" while Heresy III = "good enough for the intended purpose (maybe even a bit better) but we still gotta compromise so sputnik can afford 'em so he better not be expecting a work of art here."

I'll never share breathing space with a Palladium - they're in a special class and, from what I've gathered as well, I'm sure Palladium = "Quality" while Heresy III = "good enough for the intended purpose (maybe even a bit better) but we still gotta compromise so sputnik can afford 'em so he better not be expecting a work of art here."

Well I think the quality of the Heresy III is better than good enough. Acoustically they are probably better being built of MDF than void free 11 or 13 ply baltic birch. Not as idestructable as has been pointed out but sound wise all else being equal and MDF Heresy cabinet will probalby sound better than a plywood.

The Palladium are first rate and I think the real goal was uber stylish and expen$ive so the snooty audiophiles who think the Klipschorns are too big and "ugly" (I think they are very nice looking, but I like large expansives of pretty wood grain and am a Hoosier so what do I know) and not expen$ive enough at a mere $8000 a pair to be good enough.

That said, beside the uber stylish really cool looking box, Klipsch took it futher and developed a new tweeter, 4-1/2" midrange driver and horn that is the state of the art in horn and horn driver combination. Mr Delgado and his associates in extremely complicated (from a mathematical and engineering standpoint) yet deceptively simple appearing audio reproduction apparati really pushed the envelope on the horns and drivers for the Palladium line. And while in my mind top of the line Klipsch should always be fullly horn loaded, 3 9" uber high quality drivers in a large vented box do come really close though I'm sure the distortion is a bit more but not sure Roy and the rest of the engineers can fold any significant bass horn in that stylish of a cabinet.

Build quality is first rate. Second to none. (Though I wish the veneer would run the same direction on the front and sides).

And the Palladium P39-F (and I'm sure the rest of the Palladium line) cabinets are made of MDF:

ENCLOSURE MATERIAL:

Constrained layer MDF (medium density fiberboard)

So in Sosa's view it's cabinet is made of MDF, the build quality must be poor.

We should all have such "poor" quality speakers.

I can't say I haven't heard as good as I've only compared the P37-F to some B&W 802's and while both were amazing the P37-F won out quite easily. Do the P39-F sound better than Klispchorns? Jubilees? Split LSI's with THX subwoofage? RF-7's? (which are HUGE compared to the P39-F) The Klipsch THX cinema line? The best sound I've heard is Kllipsch. And from what othes have said either the Palladium's I've heard P39-F in stereo or not sure which mains but full Palladium Dolby True HD in 7.2 configuration. That demo may have been the most stunning. But in all fairness the best Jubilee demo I heard only had the EQ applied to one of the speakers. And I'm not so sure the Palladiums were better than other Klipsch I've heard. But I did like them better than the B&W 802x, not sure if x was d maybe or some other designation. That demo made me really understand "in your face" sound of Klipsch compared to "distant" sound of B&W 802. Overall I'll take 5th row center any day over a subdued back of auditorim seat. I'm just saying. I've heard live music a few times, and the Klipsch in that comparison were much more live sounding than the B&W.

For my other comparisons I'm sure my acoustic memory isn't good for more than a few minutes much less hours, days, weeks, and even months. Just I've gotten goose bumps a few times from reproduced music. Mostly Klipsch. And I think with female vocalist on a pair of the large Martin Logan curved electrostatics. But as good as they are when it would get to a full rock and roll band or smokin' jaxzz combo I'm sure I'd prefer the Klipsch. That said, if anyone wants to send me some B&W 802's or Martin Logan's to prove me wrong I'll be happy to try. Oh, and I might need some Palladiums if that's what I'm comparing them too. Along with sufficient amplification as I don't have enough of high enough quality for such a comparison.

(sigh) I'll guess I'll just have to settle for my Heresies and in the other room (but not yet) a pair of Tannoy SRM 12B. 12" 2 way with 2" conical horn tweeter in the voice coil gap so in theory time aligned would be an edge over the Heresies but no real testing, just unploug the Heresies and plug in the Tannoys I think the Heresie win in the mids at least.

So Sosa. I guess you'll have to go with the pro cinama gear in your home as I think it still uses void free plywood. But most is basic black though maybe some is available in nice veneer? No idea. I know some of the pro sound reinforcement speakers were available veneered for church and other uses where basic black just isn't pretty enough.

Or just enjoy the sound and keep 'em dry and don't drop them or drop something heavy on them. I think you'll find that the "poor" build quality will hold up quite well.

And I would also agree that thicker veneer would be a plus so one could sand out small scratches that aren't trivial. But I'll take Heresy III over the originals any day as a lot of people who's opinion I trust said they sound even better than the original Heresy.

Now Sputnik my good man. Should you ever be able to make a Pilgrimage, not an inexpensive or trivial trip from Tropcial Montana, there's a good chance they'll have a Palladium demo. Might even give you the volume control, and maybe even selection of music. Even let you play your own. Of course there is the high quality dust mask to wear in the presence of Palladiums which also collects drool quite well, but you still might get a bit of filtered breathing space at least.

(just kidding about the dust mask) I do hope you can get to a Pilgrimage or somewhere and hear them as they are in a special class. But Heresy III are a pretty good compromise. So Sputnik, buy a few Montana lottery tickets, if Montana has sold out to gambling to supposedly help finance important things but I think the politicians just waste any lottery revenue here in Hoosierland though they claim otherwise, and maybe you can have some one of these days.

Look at the bright side. You could've wasted enough coin to buy a pair of Heresy III on a cute little complete (rhymes with HOSE) system that while it would include amplification and source, and 5 cute little double pivoting cubes and a bandpass box optimistically called a subwoofer, you didn't. you got the "good enough for the intended purpose (maybe even a bit better)" Heresy III's. Compared to what else you can get for that kind of coin you did allright, very good actually. And poor MDF build quality aside you'll probably enjoy them until you keel over or your kids have you put in a home so they can fight over who gets Dad's Heresies. No kids, you should be good for life. [8][8][8][H][8][8][8]

and maybe, just mayb some day you'll be able to upgrade

p.s. It's Poweball or Hoosier lottery for me if I'm to have Palladiums anytime soon.... and just where is this Tropical part of Montana? Our youngest daughter loves cold, and beach weather so if there's a tropical area in Montana with at least a good sized lake it would be the best of both worlds. No ocean but also no hurricanes in Montana.

Dude, you nailed it -

Leica, Hassleblad, Eames, Zeiss, etc, etc, if, I may quote you, "Someone cared to make it as good as possible right down to the most minor detail" that's exactly it, and I just wish this once great brand had stayed true to its roots.......

Thank You!!!

Dude, you nailed it -

Leica, Hassleblad, Eames, Zeiss, etc, etc, if, I may quote you, "Someone cared to make it as good as possible right down to the most minor detail" that's exactly it, and I just wish this once great brand had stayed true to its roots.......

Thank You!!!

Sosa, actually Klipsch has. While Paul Klispch set out to build the best speakers, he did not build them as good as possible right down to the most minor detail. Do some research. He built them good enough to sound what he thought was the best or at least good enough. The beauty of that is normal people can afford most Klipsch products. And if they can't, Vintage Klipschorns for example which many think can easily be improved upon sound quality wise,can quite inexpensively be brought back up to stock specification. Those oil can capacitors do dry out over time after all.

But I don't really think PWK built any commercial speaker he sold as good as possible right down to the most minor detail. As good as possible acoustically in his mind. But from just a build point? Then explain 1/2" plywood in vintage Klipschorns?

Now maybe the home Jubilee would have been closer to that crazy level of build. I mean a wooden horn with bumps built in? The horn made in Italy. I hear the phone conversations Mr Roy Delgado had with the Italian craftsmen after receiving prototypes of the K403 (mythical but a few do exist, being made of unobtainium of some crazy material) without the bumps as specified as the craftsment thought they were mistakes were quite entertaining.

So I think Klipsch has stayed true to it's roots. And a a musicl reproduction apparatus, a Klipschorn is probably better than a Rolex is as a precision time keeping insturment. My $35 Timex Ironman might be more precise than a Rolex. Better. Heck no. Not even close. But my kids got me the Timex for Father's Day. A Rolex and other brands listed above are amongst the best built examples of their kind. But most of us can't afford a Hasselblad if we want a very good camera. Now with digital, maybe a good used film Hasselblad body might not be quite as unobtainable as the current digital bodies. The lenses for such fine instruments I'm also not going to be able to afford anytime soon even used. That uber high quality zeiss glass is expen$ive (silly me I'm assuming Hasselblads use Zeiss lenses [:$]) I'd be very hapy with good Nikon Nikkor glass. In this case the Hasselbland and associated lenses beside their amazing level of build also allow better picture quality in theory, in digital that depends, as in film, on the lens quality, and the quality of the CCD sensor. Some are now full frame. If the Hasselblad would use full frame then no contest to full frame 35 mm image sensor. With film no contest with the what 4 times larger negative than 35 mm. That said, there were lesser film Tiwn lens and SRL medium format cameras available (medium format or large format? I'm not expert). That said, I"ve had glass glasses lenses made by Zeiss. The were pricey but VERY good. And shatter instantly when they hit a tile floor. And heavy compared to plastic but much better image, especially around the edges.

So you expect a mere $1600 pair of speakers to be built like a Rolex, Hasselblad, or Ferrari?

Performance wise it just may be. But build quality?. For $1600 a pair? Man. Your expectations are very high. Maybe at 5 or 10 times the price. Which might still be a bargain for the quality of sound.

Klipsch is VERY GOOD but to build to that level for $1600 a pair speakers? They be human you know. And they do need to make a profit to stay in business. Of course we all know Heresy III don't coast $1600 a pair to build, quite a bit less as otherwise they'd cost a lot more than $1600 a pair. I think I've seen an authorized selleing selling Heresy III in Lacewood veneer for $1100 a pair.

So if you wan't Heresy III built like a Hasselblad, I think the new digital Hasselblad body, no lens, goes for aobut $20,000. So expect to pay about $20,000 for Heresy III built to that level? Put up $20,000 and maybe some Klipsch engineer and craftsmen can fulfill your no holds barred ultimate Heresy III. I know there is a cabinet maker who also builds speakers that could build Heresy cabinets to your specs. PM me for contact information as he also builds speakers resembling current Klipsch designs he claima are better and while that may be true I'm not sure he has the science and engineering to back up those claims. But cabinet work beyound compare.

I've always wondered what Klipsch could do to build something no compromise in audio and build detail. I'd love to hear and see the resulsts. as some of their efforts, you do admit sound great but suffer in build quality in your mind would be even better I'm sure.

But Sputnik and people like myself who live in the real world wouldn't be able to afford to buy them. If you want a pretty cabinet for your Heresies. Even "upgraded" crossovers, I'm sure you can be accomodated.

Good luck and please stay around. But don't expect a Ferrari for a Buick or even Cadilllac or Lincoln price.

Dude, you nailed it -

Thank You!!!

Sosa, actually Klipsch has. While Paul Klispch set out to build the best speakers, he did not build them as good as possible right down to the most minor detail. Do some research. He built them good enough to sound what he thought was the best or at least good enough. The beauty of that is normal people can afford most Klipsch products. And if they can't, Vintage Klipschorns for example which many think can easily be improved upon sound quality wise,can quite inexpensively be brought back up to stock.

But I don't really think PWK built any commercial speaker he sold as good as possible right down to the most minor detail. As good as possible acoustically in his mind. But from just a build point. Then explain 1/2" plywood in Klipschorns?

Now maybe the home Jubilee would have been closer to that crazy level of build. I mean a wooden horn with bumps built in? The horn made in Italy. I hear the phone conversations Mr Roy Delgado had with the Italian craftsmen after receiving prototype K403 (mythical but a few do exist, being made of unobtainium of some crazy material) without the bumps specified as they thought they were mistakes.

So I think Klipsch has stayed true to it's roots. And a a musicl reproduction apparatus, a Klipschorn is probably better than a Rolex is as a precision time keeping insturment. My $35 Timex ironment might be more precise than a Rolex. Better. Heck no. A Rolex and other brands listed above are amongst the best built examples of their kind. But most of us can't affored a Hasselblad if we want a very good camera. Now with digital, maybe a good used film Hasselblad might not be quite as unobtainable as the current digital bodies. The lenses for such fine instruments I'm also not going to be able to afford anytime soon even used. That uber high quality glass is expen$ive. ( and I'm assuming Hassebland and Leic use Zeiss lenses).. I saw a gold plated Leica in a camer shop in Canade once, Now that was pretty.I had glass Zeis lenses in my glasses a few years back and they were much better than the closes plastic version. And much better optically especially aroudn the edges. But shattered like a cheap drinking class when they hit a tiel floor just right.

So you expect a mere $1600 pair of speakers to be built like a Rolex, Hasselblad, or Ferrari? Performance wise it just may be. But build quality. For $1600 a pair. Man. Your expectations are very high. Maybe at 5 or 10 times the price.

Klipsch is VERY GOOD but to build to that level for $1600 a pair speakers. They be human you know. And they do want to make a profit. Of course we all know Heresy III don't coast $1600 a pair to build, quite a bit less as otherwise they'd cost a lot more than $1600 a pair. I think I've seen an authorized selleing selling Heresy III in Lacewood veneer for $1100 a pair.

So if you wan't Heresy III built like a Hasselblad, I think the new digital Hasselblad body, no lens, goes for aobut $20,000. So expect to pay about $20,000 for Heresy III built to that level. Put up $20,000 and maybe some Klipsch engineer and craftsmen can fulfill your no holds barred ultimate Heresy III.

I've always wondered what Klipsch could do to build something no compromise in audio and build detail. I'd love to hear the resulsts. as some of their efforts, you do admit sound great but suffer in build quality in your mind would be even better I'm sure. But Sputnik and people like myself who live in the real world wouldn't be able to afford to buy them. If you want a pretty cabinet for your Heresies. Even "upgraded" crossovers, I'm sure you can be accomodated.

Good luck and please stay around. But don't expect a Ferrari for a Builck or Cadilllac or Lincoln price. But soud qualtiy. Find something that does as much right as the Heresy III for $1600. It will probably use MDF>

Sosa - read your review. Just what are you going to recommend to your friends for $1600 a pair? And really, get real, they aren't just goint to fall apart. And I'm not a membe rof the Klipsch marketing team. I'm just a fan of PWK. If you think you're Heresy III are such junk I'll make arrangements and take them off your hands so you can go buy better built $1600 speakers. From a purely acoustical standpoint ai think the low resonance of MDF would be better - less panel flex and ringing.

But yeah, if you drop a clothes iron on them you might leave a begger blemisth than if they were voide free Baltic Birch. But if void free Baltic Birch was that much better acoustically Klipsch would use it. And they Heresy III would probalby cost more.

If the sound quality is great as yor say, and it is, have some cabinets constructed to your specifications. I'm sure a forum member who has a speaker building business who is also an exceptional cabinet maker will build a Heresy cabinet wtih 2 layever of void freeo Baltic Birch with some dynamat or other anti resonantn sound deadeing material between is that's what you want. The pesorn I'm thinking of has exceptional cabinat makeing capability that are second to none.

But you will have more than $1600 in the speakers when you're don. Good luck But Poor build qual;ity that will fall apart? If the get submerged in a flood, well maybe. If you drop something heavy on them. Maybe them too. But with a little care they should ldast a lifetime. A few deep scratches in the veneer may be harder to repair than if the veneer was thickief but thicker veneer has absolutely nothing to do with sound qualtiy.

Would you like us to send you some cheese?

• Moderators

Since I don't see much cause to lock this thread (at least not yet), I do want to jump in here and change the subject line to be fair...since we DO post negative reviews.

That said, I would encourage all of you who have owned/listened to the Heresy to leave an honest review. Which goes for any other of our speakers, as well. It's one of the most important considerations when people are shopping for products, not to mention it helps us do our job better.

Now back to the debate!

Now back to the debate!

Debate. Count me out. That requires careful thought. I thought we were flogging and working towards a tar and feathering (well, virtual) if our new Forum masochist didn't come around. He'll probably be fine long term if he can handle the short term floggings or just disappear and in a few years realize those MDF Heresy III's held up pretty well. [8][8][8][H][8][8][8]

So if you come to your senses and decide to replace the MDF .... I can probably dispose of a few pairs of inferior MDF speaker cabinets if y'all need to start unloading that "junki" Just doing my part. LOL. I think many in the know have said the MDF works so much better acoustically and not just that it's easier to manufacture. So I don't think it's going away anytime soon.

edit: even this will backfire, I meant to say finished speakers using MDF due to the cost to properly recycle and dispose of them. I really don't need a bunch of empty cabinets. [:o]