This summer's back yard project

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Sorry I didn't think you knew it was me, anyway it would be really nice if you would leave more jerky and another Ice chest with beer up there, kind of wanting to get a few sasquatch friends over, thanks we really appreciate it. [Y]

• Moderators

Above the pond there are two paths that lead upto a seating area with a fire pit. You can make out the andirondak chairs upabove in the first pic.

I could see that in the first picture but it just looked like a couple of chairs, that's great. I could imagine y'all spend alot of time out there, that is a really cool place to hang out. I love the firepit/giant grill, very nice, I would be out there every chance I could cooking and getting the drinks before any sasquatch would steal them.

WOW

The reason were taking out the front pond is I am the only one willing to get in it when plants need to be fertilized or anything need to be done in the pond. Everyone else is scared of snakes and since there was one in the pond at one time in the past I am the only person willing, snakes don't bother me unless there poisonous, then I am a little more careful.

I liked that pond, it had a 10 pound atleast bull frog !

SHMBO means "She Who Must Be Obeyed. I had to Goggle it the 1st time I seen it on this forum. She writes the checks for bills and I pay required share. Sometimes more when her progects get expensive. I refuse to request a nickle for my stereo addiction though. Less excuse for complaints that way.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't claim I had anything to do with the construction, but I did the hardest part which was writting the checks. So far about 4 weeks old.

I've been to construction sites all over the US and just a few places outside..... Trust me when I say that "Writting the checks" is the hardest part of every construction project.

My hat's off to you Sir Jackson Bart from Pluto, that is one of the prettiest ponds I've ever seen, anywhere. It belongs on the cover of a Magazine. Nice job, and I'll bet that check writting hand is pretty sore.

If they like hot water then they are in luck, we have been in the upper 90s the past 4 days. Above the pond there are two paths that lead upto a seating area with a fire pit. You can make out the andirondak chairs upabove in the first pic.

JB, it's beautiful! You are in a pretty part of Pennsylvania. The heat must be rough for you, considering how far north you are.

Bruce

Really nice pond Jackson, quite a nice retreat. I inherited a koi pond from the previous owner of my house which I bought in '99. some of the koi are the originals and we have had some born over the years. I probably started out with 20 or so, koi & goldfish, but we lost a bunch to a blue heron who turned the pond into his/her own sashimi bar. Not much you can do about that, blue herons are a protected species. I think there are 14 or so fish in the pond now. I have had good luck with Pondmaster pumps & have 4 of them running now, both 1800 & 2400 gph models. My pond sits in partial sun so I do have string algae problems but the pumps keep the water moving which helps with oxygen transfer.

The pond never ceases to amaze me whether it is the survival of the fish through a brutal winter like the one just passed or the various wildlife that stops by for a drink, from deer to possum, cats etc. I even had a sharp shinned hawk take a bath one morning. As a result I try not to use too many chemicals in the pond, the fish are tougher than you think. Maybe I'll take some pictures this weekend and post them to your thread. Good luck.

• Moderators

I probably started out with 20 or so, koi & goldfish, but we lost a bunch to a blue heron who turned the pond into his/her own sashimi bar. Not much you can do about that, blue herons are a protected species.

They may be a protected species but it's only because whoever counted went to lunch instead !

They are FAR from endangered along with the white heron, extremely plentiful, here at least ? Just no meat on them, it would take 4 to equal a spotted owl or 8-10 to get the meat equivalence of a bald eagle. [:o]

I found this on the MassAudabon website;

HERONS AND THE LAW
Great Blue Herons are protected by the Federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918. It is illegal to capture, possess, or cause harm to a Great Blue Heron or its nest or eggs.

But you can't believe everytihng you read on the internet. Doesn't mean I didn't want to hit him with a pellet gun!