I want to get into Vinyl...

Schu

are these turntables any good... or are they just junk?

I have played with the ideo of a simple sl1200, but If I can get into something better for about 750'ish, that would be cool.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170652424588&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180665476203&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I wish I could help you with those. There are lots of good tables to start with under $1k, used. There are many here who can help you more than me. I have fairly low buck tables but enjoy them a LOT. I have a Regga and two B&O tables. I think the Regga with cart and all, used, was under $500. Perhaps I have tin ears but it sounds pretty darn good to me.

that's what I am looking for. under 500 would be stellar. I know an sl1200 can be had in great condition for about 350'ish, but I am willing to spend a little more if I can get something that is a real keeper.

there is a sl1200 mk2 for 350 and a sl1200 mk5 for 500 locally on CL

I have also been tracking some Micro Seiki's that need servicing for fairly reasonable prices

http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable-database.php

http://reviews.ebay.com/Turntables-What-should-you-buy_W0QQugidZ10000000002161529

Maybe something in the above links may help you in your decision making.

For instance, wow+flutter and rumble specifications on some turntables are extremely low despite being 50-year-old designs (e.g., Empire 298 rumble <-90dB).

If a brand isn't listed, then I'd personally be leery.

Chris

that's what I am looking for. under 500 would be stellar. I know an sl1200 can be had in great condition for about 350'ish, but I am willing to spend a little more if I can get something that is a real keeper.

I have also been tracking some Micro Seiki's that need servicing for fairly reasonable prices

A lot of folks like the SL-1200s. I believe they're fairly reliable. There must be tons of them floating around Vegas, as almost every DJ has used 'em. That being said, try not to get one that has been abused by DJs [;)]. Do Rick and Chumlee have any in their shop? If so, you'd probably pay at least double what you should...

dead%2Bdeck.jpg

The MK5 has an LED cueing light, which should last practically forever, unlike the MK2's incandescent bulb, which will burn out at some point. There are some other improvements with the MK5, plus it may be newer (age counts, as well as usage), but $150 is a big price differential.

Either one can be a real keeper, and quite a few upgrades can be done. Perhaps the ultimate example of an upgraded SL-1200/1210 is the Timestep Evo turntable from Sound Hi Fi in England, which sells for around $6000.

You can see it and its less expensive version here: http://www.soundhifi.com/sl1200/evo.html

As for me, I've had an SL-1210M5G for a year, and I'm very happy with it.

In the case of the Micro Seiki turntables, are parts and skilled repair persons easy to find?

http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable-database.php

http://reviews.ebay.com/Turntables-What-should-you-buy_W0QQugidZ10000000002161529

Maybe something in the above links may help you in your decision making.

For instance, wow+flutter and rumble specifications on some turntables are extremely low despite being 50-year-old designs (e.g., Empire 298 rumble <-90dB).

If a brand isn't listed, then I'd personally be leery.

Chris

some cool info there. after reading that article, I think I am going to need a twin arm set up for 33's and 78's...

If you take your time you can get a world class turntable for 750.00.

Just takes patience and being ready to pop on it.

Actually a number of new tables at that or less that will sound awesome.

Can't really tell your experience level, but a plug and play from Music Hall or similar is a good idea as a starter.

Happy hunting!

Dave

A lot of folks like the SL-1200s. I believe they're fairly reliable. There must be tons of them floating around Vegas, as almost every DJ has used 'em. That being said, try not to get one that has been abused by DJs Wink. Do Rick and Chumlee have any in their shop? If so, you'd probably pay at least double what you should...

dead%2Bdeck.jpg

Too funny fini...I love that show.

I picked up a pair of SL-1200s, cheap dj mixer and cae for $400. I sold the mixer and one of the turntables, so I ended up with one SL-1200 for free. They both needed new stylii. Friend form work who bought the SL-1200 from me bought one of the plugin stylus, and loves it.

I haven't done any more with mine yet as I have another Technics TT already.

Bruce

I'll pile on and also recommend Technics SL1200mkII (if you can find one in good condition). I bought one new from KAB Electro Acoustics just before the big price increase from $450 to $750, which was a year before they were discontinued. I put a Denon DL110 cartridge on it (high output moving coil, about $120) and have been happy ever since. You can upgrade the SL1200 in quite a few ways, and many have been very happy with the KAB mods. ------------------- There are just as many who swear the SL1200 is a terrible turntable and that the Music Hall or Rega belt-driven turntables are way better. I have heard several of those cheaper belt drives and never was impressed. The Rega tables are very good, though, just not the cheapest ones. Check out the Rega P2 (~$650) or P3 (~$1000). ----------- There are a number of 1970s Japanese direct-drive turntables that are also quite good, but the prices have been rising of late. Unless you know what you're doing, beware Ebay-purchased 'vintage' turntables. They are often broken in one way or another. Craigslist is a better source, because you can go audition the turntable before you buy. Bruce's idea about buying a DJ coffin with two SL1200's and selling off all but one table is a good one, but does require some work. Also, a busy DJ will have abused the turntables and tonearms, so you may be getting two worn out 'tables, even if they look OK cosmetically. Even the best turntable/tonearm will sound bad if it's damaged or just plain worn out.

I guess I have to jump in and ask more. As a BluRay player fell into my lap, I may have money to spend on turntables. at this point, I would prefer to go new and under $1000. I want more of plug and play at this point. Rega, Pro-Ject, Music Hall have been what I was looking into based on past info gathered here.

Now I am wondering about:

Stanton

Audio-Technica

Thorens

Denon

I will be following this and the other Vinyl/Turntable recent postings closely.

I almost started a new thread but I have not reached the milestone where I can get personalized answers yet [;)]

Completely IMO:

Stanton -- From what I've seen, these are "DJ" 'tables, available from the likes of Guitar Center or Musician's Friend. Not recommended.
Audio-Technica -- same as above.
Thorens -- A good maker, but not the market dominator they used to be in the 1960s and '70s. Rega are generally considered a better deal in the sub-$1000 category.
Denon -- They only make a couple of 'tables, and they look like low-budget affairs. DP-300F looks a lot like Rega, Music Hall, et al. Nothing like the big direct-drive Denon 'tables of old...

Music Direct is having a sale on Rega P3-24 --

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-5363-rega-p324-matte-black.aspx

http://www.musicdirect.com/c-727-rega-p3-24-special-offers.aspx

I'd look for a good used Thorens TD-125mkII. Those often came with SME 3009 tonearm mounted. That's a classic combination, and so long as the turntable was well-maintained, really hard to beat.

In (1980's) before CD's, I got the Rega 3 with the Garrot bros P77 and the LaScala + Marantz 1200B revealed the remarkable detail of this combination. For example, when I played Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon, all conversation stopped and people heard what they did not know existed on that album. Astonished they were. The rega arm is extremely important in this equation. The large diameter thin walled arm with non detachable headshell is very stiff and light it incorporates static 0 tracking force counter weight balance and then the tracking force is applied magnetically so any vibration that does come up the arm pivot is equal on both ends of the arm and cancels out as the weight on each side of the pivot is equal. The arm has a large bearings to reduce free play. The table bearing is large to reduce free play. The headshell is part of the arm to eliminate free play. The record drives the stylus and the stylus movement is very small so you want minimum free play in the loop from record through stylus into headshell along arm into arm bearings through table plith and up through table bearing back into record. Any free play is signal loss dynamic loss and is lost forever no matter how good the rest of your system is. The original rega 3 has been brought back by popular demand with motor improvements. Also note the platter is glass and when you flick it with your finger is does not ring like alloy. In the 80's the next step up was the rega arm on the Thorens table. I also have this with a Garrot bros P77. Then next step up was 5 times the price and the improvement was very small. I have installed countless Technics SL 1200's in hotels for DJ's so they can backspin the records with heavy duty stylus. The 2 designs are for different purposes and both excel for their intended purpose. For your normal playing of records the Rega 3 will be superior to any CD player regardless of price. The Garrot bros P77 has a special cut stylus and tracks @ 2 grams. The special cut spreads the load over a greater area of the grove and reduces record wear. The trackability of the P77 is outstanding and with brass instruments the difference is massive. Look at a record groove with a microscope where the trumpet does a solo and you will wonder how any stylus can follow the groove. I assert that if you are using Klipsch you need the rega 3 and carefully research the stylus tip of your intended cartridge. With Klipsch the difference is massive.

The trackability of the P77 is outstanding and with brass instruments the difference is massive.

The acid test for me are string orchestras--and in particular, first violin reproduction. If things aren't quite right, the strings sound "steely", muffled, and flattened in depth and dynamics. The audio signature of orchestral string instruments are probably the most complex and energetic of all non-percussive instruments (including human voice). This is true of both analog and digital recordings. I find is the most audible difference in older recordings using analog equipment vs. newer digital recordings using more recent digital recording, mixing, and mastering equipment and algorithms are strings. Sometimes the difference among recordings can be startling. Using violin/string section recordings also helps me to hear the effects of high amplifier slew rate - which is a typical discriminator in choosing among amplifiers.

To some degree, piano recordings follow the same behavior, except that I find a LOT of really poor piano recordings, even by the major labels, The brilliance and richness of upper piano harmonics is an easy test for quality of pianos themselves and the resulting recordings. I find that many piano recordings are miked too closely (no room ambiance) or too far away (no high frequencies on the attacks), and don't capture the richness of the live performance.

Chris

What Cask05 wrote makes a lot of sense to me. ------------- Orchestral strings and well-recorded piano are great tests of a turntable/tonearm/cartridge. So, what good LP's of orchestral strings or solo piano would one recommend as top-shelf record player auditioning material? I'll suggest the RCA Living Stereo pressing of Mahler's "Das Lied von der Erde" for strings and vocals (and orchestral bells, and...). I also like the mid 1970's Deutsche Grammophon LP of Beethoven Symphony 6 conducted by Karl Boehm, but that wouldn't be a popular choice. Solo piano? Hmmm... The Max Wilcox produced RCA Living Stereo Artur Rubinstein recordings are well regarded. Chopin Ballades, anyone?