Look what I found in the trash!

Invidiosulus

My neighbor lost his job back in June and decided to move back to Florida.
A few days before he left I spotted a guitar case in the pile of trash in front of his house.
I went over and asked him about it and he said I was welcome to it, that the neck was broken but it had sounded good before it broke.

There was a pretty bad crack in the heel but the guitar sounded pretty good even with 5 ancient strings.

First I removed the strings and loosened the truss rod.
Next I clamped the body on my padded workbench(ironing board) using some adjustable height padded cauls(old paperbacks) to raise the upper bout an inch or two off the work surface.
Then I placed a clamp around the 1st fret and used it to pry the crack open further so I would have room to get some glue in there.
I squirted some Titebond original on the edge of a 3x5 notecard and slid the notecard into the crack to deposit the glue where needed.
After that all I had to do was place some books under the lower bout and the 1st fret and clamp down on the upper bout to force the crack closed.

Not bad for free.

-Josh

P.S. Bonus points if you can tell me what's wrong with my strings.

• Moderators

The video is working like a strobe, to catch the waythe strings vibrate. Nice. You can sorta see that when you look at them vibrating, but the cam caught it really well.

Bruce

I noticed that, cool looking. Don't know anyting about getars but at that price it dosen't matter. [Y]

Bruce is exactly right although I'll add a little to his explanation.

The funny string effect is due to the rolling shutter effect from using a CMOS sensor.

Each frame is scanned in line by line instead of all at once.

This causes the string position to alias and look all weird.

Having the camera turned on it's side accentuates the weirdness, I then dropped the 1080p footage into a 720p project and rotated it back upright.

Normally footage from the 7D looks way better but I was running it at ISO 12,800 so I could get away with the ridiculous shutter speed to make the strings look funny.

As far as the guitar goes I'm really happy with the price.

Even disregarding the price I think it sounds pretty good.

-Josh

Nothing's wrong with your strings. The effect is called aliasing, and you see it most often with car wheels in movies and on TV. The scan rate of the camera is too slow to catch the string frequency, so you get the strobe effect that Bruce mentioned.

Nice score by the way, and good use of tools at hand. My son (13) wants to learn to play guitar, so I guess I need to watch the trash. He already plays piano and trumpet.

Jim

Yes That's how I found my first guitar back in the days in the service. Gibson SG in the dumpster from a barracks room occupied by a "doper" who was arrested and sent to the stockade, room "cleaned out" by the First Sergeant...

I would love to find a gibbo in the trash.

I added a strap button yesterday, nice light guitar to play standing up :)

The whole squishy strings thing was a joke.

If I was in a Scandinavian power metal band that is what I would look like.
May it's an Appalachian power metal band... (chainsaws, angle grinders, bandsaws... )
Hmm...

VERY nice, Josh! For a moment, I thought I was hearing John Doyle and Liz Carroll!

John Doyle is an amazing player and one of my favs for sure.

I saw him two or three shows in a row with Solas at the national folk festival back in '95.

I was amazed and tickled to realize that some of the songs were played differently each day.

His rhythm work was just superb.