jhoak

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators

If you don't know how to "dress" fresh game like rabbits, etc. No problem. Chop off their feets and head, then peel the skin off like a tight banana. Carefully slit open the guts area and remove the guts. Rinse well and put the rinse water in your toilet.... Then chop 'em up into legs, thighs and breasts.

I think that covers just about anything you could want to cook thats out there from 1 pound to 2000 pounds.

And remember out in the country, hitting it with the car or truck does count as hunting. [:o]

And never forget in South Florida and South Louisiana, DO NOT become the food for the animals also looking to eat. Florida is worse for this they also have big cats (not the cute ones) and snakes that can weigh more than you. [:|]

Recipe #4: Chicken, Pepperoni & Green Bell Pepper Pizza.

Easy, fast, very good, and you can "doctor it up" with other stuff. Works great for re-heat snack/ lunch, and for the college students out there, goes very well cold with your favorite peanut butter and hot sauce!!! [6]

• 1 bread dough from grocery store (they sell them in "3-packs") or a two pack of Mama Whatever's pre-made pies.
  • 1 big fat chicken breast or 2 small ones.
  • 1/2 green bell pepper
  • 1/4 pack of real pepperoni (not the turkey kind)
  • 1 pack (six ounce) mozzarella cheese
  • 1/2 teaspoon chopped basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon chopped oregano
  • 1 teaspon garlic powder
  • 1 cup of bottled spaghetti sauce (I like to use Prego or Barilla Four Cheese, etc.)
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt (sea salt/ kosher salt)
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
  • Olive oil (EVO is the best)
  • 16" round pizza pan

If you are going to do the homemade bread yourself, take the frozen loaf out and place it on a large cutting board. Sprinkle plain baking flour on top, and some on the sides and bottom. Cover with a dry cotton towel that is at least twice as large as the dough.

Wipe your pizza pie pan down with olive oil. be generous.

After about 2-3 hours, the dough will be thawed, but not starting to really rise. Using flour, knead the bread back forth, folding, punching, etc. Allow to sit for about an hour in a big ball. After about an hour, repeat the torture, then flatten it out to the size of the pizza pie pan. Sprinkle with some flour, and fit to pie pan.

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.

Mix the spices, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Slice the chick breast and the green pepper into thin strips and then quick brown in a skillet with some olive oil. Set aside in a bowl.

Put pie in oven for about 5 minutes to "set" the dough.

Remove pie and spread your sauce evenly.

Evenly sprinkle about half your spices on the sauce.

Spread your mozzarella evenly, then lay on pepperoni. Not too much, about 3-4 slices per pie slice (based on 6 slices per pie).

Spread your chicken and bell pepper on evenly, then evenly sprinkle the rest of the spices.

Lightly (very lightly...) drizzle some olive oil evenly over the pie.

Insert in the oven on the lowest rack and set a timer to about 20 minutes.

Check at 20 minutes. May take a few minutes more for some older ovens.

Remove and allow to sit for about 2-3 minutes, then slice.

Sprinkle some romano or parmesan on your slices.

[H]

I am going to try to find some software to use for making a cookbook. Maybe something you can copy/scan and it will format it for you. Anyone got any suggestions before I start wading throughout a bunch of software?

cb

I started one, but it wasn't with any special software. it started out with Wordperfect back in 1993 and now I have it all in MS Word. My list continues to grow, and with this thread, it's likely gonna grow a few more pages. I only save recipes that I've tried and like. I'll share some here, let me go look what I'm want to post... it's cut and past.

My recipes were written exactly like the 1 provided in the opening of this thread. I find it straight forward and easy to follow. back in a little....

I am going to try to find some software to use for making a cookbook. Maybe something you can copy/scan and it will format it for you. Anyone got any suggestions before I start wading throughout a bunch of software?

cb

I started one, but it wasn't with any special software. it started out with Wordperfect back in 1993 and now I have it all in MS Word. My list continues to grow, and with this thread, it's likely gonna grow a few more pages. I only save recipes that I've tried and like. I'll share some here, let me go look what I'm want to post... it's cut and past.

My recipes were written exactly like the 1 provided in the opening of this thread. I find it straight forward and easy to follow. back in a little....

I wanted to find some software just so I wouldn;t have to do a lot of typing, old fingers don't work too good. I have complied bout 50 so far, they are all good (my opinion) had a few friends give me some of theirs.

I am using an IMac so I have to convert everything to Windows Word for the software which I haven't got yet. and I hope it well be a simple cut and paste, looking for a nice consistance in recipes.

I well make sure everyone who has shown interest gets a copy.

CB

CALDILLO (My dad’s famous south Texas ranch soup. It can be too spicy-hot for some)

Ingredients: 3- 2.0 ounce packages Machacado (Shredded

dry beef, aka Carne-Seca)

3-Chile Anchos (diced)

1-Med. Yellow Onion (diced)

3-Tomatoes (small to med. size, diced)

2-tsp pepper

1 tsp sea salt

Ground Cumin (1 ½ to 2 tsp)

3-White or Red potatoes

3- Garlic buttons (minced, diced or sliced)

3-5, Chile Ceranos (sliced lengthwise or whole).

Brown

machacado in 3” deep pan (10-13” dia.) in apprx. 1 tbs virgin olive

oil brought to temp. Stir dried beef on med. heat until uniformly brown. This

makes the meat tender or easier to chew.

Add diced

Chile Anchos (nickel size) to browned dried beef, stir till ancho turns faintly

wrinkled. Now add diced onion, keep stirring for apprx. 10min. Once onions turn

clear, stir-in tomato and after 3 to 5 min. add the spices, pepper, comino (ground cumin) and salt to liking, keep stirring.

Mix in spices and add potato slices (quarter size and about nickel thickness) ,

minced garlic, and whole or sliced (lengthwise) chile cerranos, and water till just over pan contents, plus 1/4".

Bring

pot to boil, then reduce to low simmer. Let simmer on low until potatoes are fully cooked.

Alternative,

Baking potatoes would work, but they tend to fall apart when dish is re-heated.

My wife prefers I hold back on 1 of the potatoes, but the dis is really low

fat, and very tasty.

FYI,

Caldillo always taste better reheated, and it’s great on cold mornings.

bon appetit

Great thread Jeff

BTW ~ How's the Shanling working out?

This recipe is really, REALLY simple. And Sooooooo........ GOOD - if you like seafood.

Grilled Chilean Sea Bass

Of course #1 is the quality of the fish. I go straight to the fresh seafood distributor which has a deli-like store.

The recipe calls for 2LBS but I make it with the same seasoning amounts using one pound, not critical, suit your taste.

Combine 1/4 teaspoon each ~ black pepper, salt, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder. Sprinkle over filets.

In a small sauce pan heat a few tablespoons of olive oil, peanut oil or butter. Add flaked or chopped fresh parsley.

Grill (or bake at 400F) until fish is opaque and clearness is gone. Drizzle the oil over the fish and serve.

Variations: I soak a tablespoon of dried minced onion in water, drain, dry and add to the oil/butter, then put it under the broiler until it begins to crisp up a little around the edges and on the minced onion.

I like to use sea salt and McCormack's Seasoned Pepper which has dried coarse ground red and green bell peppers in it.

On a grill consider using Cedar (or whatever) Plank.

I love my cold water Australian lobster tail but this is starting to take its place. No, it is not like lobster at all. My wife doesn't care for lobster but she loves this.

On a grill consider using Cedar (or whatever) Plank YesYesYes

One of my wife's all time favorites is simply grilling some nice fish fillets with some mesquite, live oak, etc. chips.

Cool

Thanks Artto, sounds darn good, and I'm gonna give that 1 a shot this weekend. Gonna go look for a place to buy the freshes fish.

and Groomy's wife has the right idea, .... nothing beats good wood (uh oh, [:o]) for grilling fish, or anything else for that matter. For fish or sea food, I like grilling with the lighter woods, stuff like Apple, Peach and Pecan. Don't get me wrong, I love what mesquite can do for the flavor, but just a personal observation thing I've noticed (wife and kids perfer it too) on the subject of grilling fish and such with wood.

I almost always throw a couple of handfuls of well soaked mesquite on the coals when I grill. It doesn't matter what I'm grilling I just like the flavor it imparts. Especially good with grilled seafood. My favorite is grilled sea scallops. Grilled swordfish steak is pretty high on the list too. Well CRUD... Now I'm hungry for grilled fish.

Funny story about using mesquite. Years ago when my son was 9 or 10 one of the neighbor kids was hanging out here one afternoon. I was preparing to grill that night and had a large stainless steel bowl full of mesquite chips and water. At one point the kid came in to the kitchen and spotted the bowl of wood chips. He says "you're having mulch for dinner?". Without hesitation I grab a small piece and pop it in my mouth. I said to him "sure... it's good... good for you too... LOTS of fiber. Are you going to join us for dinner tonight?". The look on this kids face was absolutely priceless. He swallowed hard and says "UMMM... No thank you".

Later after he went home the then girlfriend gave me an earful about what a horrible joke that was to play on the kid. I thought it was hilarious.

Everybody has their take on the ultimate burger . Here is my current favorite the steak-um , bacon cheese burger .

Toasted John Derst's kaiser roll in this case . Bottom bun coated with Dijon mustard and fresh jalapeno pepper slices .

Shredded Swiss cheese , steak-um , more Swiss , steak-um and more Swiss .

8oz 80/20 burger patty with 2 slices of sharp white cheddar .

3 slices of thick cut bacon .

Grilled onions

Top bun coated with a tarter sauce mix of mayo and a roasted chopped serrano pepper .

Posted Image

Canadian favorite

Poutine:

Cook F. Fries according to directions on package or (not too long as gravy will soften fries).

Heat your favorite tasting gravy (can be chicken or beef gravy,etc.) I perfer beef myself.

Shred favorite cheese (marble, old cheddar, medium, etc.)

Place cooked fries on plate, add shredded cheese on top of fries, then pour hot gravy over fries.

Add condiments as per individual taste. (ex. salt, pepper, ketchup, etc.)

Enjoy!!!

Grilled fish the way you've always wanted to cook it.

Place cast iron griddle (flat side) on your outdoor grill. If gas, turn grill to high and close it for 10 minutes. You want that griddle piping hot! Season your fresh fish in a rectangular pyrex dish (cajun, lemon pepper, whatever) and then pour a stick of melted butter on the fish and rotate fish in butter until well covered. Open grill and add fish to griddle. Pour any leftover butter over cooking fish. Cook for 2 to 3 mins. each side, but no more. Enjoy.

• Moderators

Canadian favorite

Poutine:

Cook F. Fries according to directions on package or (not too long as gravy will soften fries).

Heat your favorite tasting gravy (can be chicken or beef gravy,etc.) I perfer beef myself.

Shred favorite cheese (marble, old cheddar, medium, etc.)

Place cooked fries on plate, add shredded cheese on top of fries, then pour hot gravy over fries.

Add condiments as per individual taste. (ex. salt, pepper, ketchup, etc.)

Enjoy!!!

That is very popular around N.O., the only difference is they put it on french bread. It's on the menu of any po-boy shop down here. It is good. [:P]

• Moderators

Grilled fish the way you've always wanted to cook it.

Place cast iron griddle (flat side) on your outdoor grill. If gas, turn grill to high and close it for 10 minutes. You want that griddle piping hot! Season your fresh fish in a rectangular pyrex dish (cajun, lemon pepper, whatever) and then pour a stick of melted butter on the fish and rotate fish in butter until well covered. Open grill and add fish to griddle. Pour any leftover butter over cooking fish. Cook for 2 to 3 mins. each side, but no more. Enjoy.

That must have come from you wife you lucky dog ? [Y].........It started a long time ago....= Blackened redfish

It is very good, and YES you have to do it outside or you will be running outside in 20 seconds as I found out. It makes a white smoke that just takes your breath away. [:$] It's also good with duck, or anything really.

Everybody has their take on the ultimate burger . Here is my current favorite the steak-um , bacon cheese burger .

Toasted John Derst's kaiser roll in this case . Bottom bun coated with Dijon mustard and fresh jalapeno pepper slices . Shredded Swiss cheese , steak-um , more Swiss , steak-um and more Swiss . 8oz 80/20 burger patty with 2 slices of sharp white cheddar . 3 slices of thick cut bacon . Grilled onions Top bun coated with a tarter sauce mix of mayo and a roasted chopped serrano pepper .

P1000198.jpg

That looks absolutely delicious............. I love margarita's! lol