which is a better choice for music

JasonJCarney

Any way to audition them? A speakers signature sound is very subjective, you and I could like two totally differend sounds from a speaker. Even if you could find someone who had owned both types of speakers, you'd still be getting an opinion of what sounds good to them, which may be just the opposite of what you like.

I have owned the RF-62's before, and I have heard the KLF-20s. My choice would be the KLF-20s for music. I personally have a strong preference for a 3-way design for music, but like CECAA850 said we all have different tastes, and your mileage may vary...

I have owned the RF-62's before, and I have heard the KLF-20s. My choice would be the KLF-20s for music. I personally have a strong preference for a 3-way design for music, but like CECAA850 said we all have different tastes, and your mileage may vary...

I know my RF 52s are not the same as 62s.....

But I do have them (reference) and do have Heresy Is (3 way).

I would get the KLF 20s for music. 3 way does music better to me.

You should be able to demo them at the sellers place, even if you must bring your own receiver.

That being said; the above applies.... YMMV.

Good Luck.

well the seller is 3 hours away and the plan is to meet like an hour from my house. So a demo is not gonna happen.... are they comparable to the rf7ii's (since they are close in size)?

The 20's don't sound like RF's, they do some things better and some not as good.I would keep my 7's over 20's but I would not want to have to choose.I have 82II's, they are good speakers but not in the same leauge as 20's.

3 way for music is generally what most folks prefer. But.... I've heard the RF's with a center (a necessity for good music as well as movies), and a sub, and they are really, really good. While I like Heritage, I have considered the RF series for a spare bedroom.

Groom, this is exactly what I did.

(Except remove "spare" from bedroom).

The price was too good to pass up and I am enjoying them very much.

This kind of boils down to wether you prefer a two way or a three way. The KLF20 will get you most of your music off of one tractrix mid horn which in my book is a very good thing as it pushes the crossover points well out of the mid band (where the magic lives). The KLF20 will most likely come with stock poly tweeter diaphragms which are poor in comparison to even the phenolics. Bob Crites can sell you a couple of ne Ti tweeter diaphragms for $30.00 each and that is money well spent as they are vastly smoother and mort extended. The Klipsch Ti mid diaphragms to me make an even bigger improvement to the speaker but you can do that later when you can afford them.

I just rebuilt a set of KLF20 for my daughter who is attending university. I removed both front and back baffles and installed them with new adhesive and I chopped the bottom of the baffles off so I could swap the reflex vents from the back of the cabinet (stock position) to the front so she could place the speakers closer to the front wall as she is in smaller rental space while at school. I installed side to side and front to back as well as a top brace to tighten the cabinets up. Results are excellent with better tighter more controlled bass than my Forte ll have. Excellent speaker with about the most jam you are likely to find in any Klipsch especially given the reasonably small foot print. Driver positioning is also better than the much lower Forte which really need to be up on stands to properly position the horns at ear level. If you can buy the KLF20 for $450.00 you can be sure that you can re sell and get your money back. the only speaker I can think of which should better the KLF 20 is the CF3. I have the parts for a set but have not yet had the money or time to build up new cabinets for them, they have a more comples crossover so it may well end up being a coin toss between the two. Just my 2 cents worth. Hope this helps you to make a decission. I like three way designs unless you can keep the crossover down in the same range as a three way mid and use a larger mid-high horn (as with the CF3). One of the things which makes a RF7 ll sound better than an RF7 is the lower mid crossover point. Best regards Moray James.

if you are interested you can take a look at some internal pictures of my daughters KLF20 over at audio karma in the klipsch section.

If you can get the 20s for $450, run (don't walk). It's worth the 90 minute drive if the condition is true to the guys word and the cabinets are solid. You will love them, and will get all your money (perhaps more) back on them when/if you decide to get rid of them. Great speakers for sure!

Troy

This kind of boils down to wether you prefer a two way or a three way. The KLF20 will get you most of your music off of one tractrix mid horn which in my book is a very good thing as it pushes the crossover points well out of the mid band (where the magic lives). The KLF20 will most likely come with stock poly tweeter diaphragms which are poor in comparison to even the phenolics. Bob Crites can sell you a couple of ne Ti tweeter diaphragms for $30.00 each and that is money well spent as they are vastly smoother and mort extended. The Klipsch Ti mid diaphragms to me make an even bigger improvement to the speaker but you can do that later when you can afford them.

I just rebuilt a set of KLF20 for my daughter who is attending university. I removed both front and back baffles and installed them with new adhesive and I chopped the bottom of the baffles off so I could swap the reflex vents from the back of the cabinet (stock position) to the front so she could place the speakers closer to the front wall as she is in smaller rental space while at school. I installed side to side and front to back as well as a top brace to tighten the cabinets up. Results are excellent with better tighter more controlled bass than my Forte ll have. Excellent speaker with about the most jam you are likely to find in any Klipsch especially given the reasonably small foot print. Driver positioning is also better than the much lower Forte which really need to be up on stands to properly position the horns at ear level. If you can buy the KLF20 for $450.00 you can be sure that you can re sell and get your money back. the only speaker I can think of which should better the KLF 20 is the CF3. I have the parts for a set but have not yet had the money or time to build up new cabinets for them, they have a more comples crossover so it may well end up being a coin toss between the two. Just my 2 cents worth. Hope this helps you to make a decission. I like three way designs unless you can keep the crossover down in the same range as a three way mid and use a larger mid-high horn (as with the CF3). One of the things which makes a RF7 ll sound better than an RF7 is the lower mid crossover point. Best regards Moray James.

if you are interested you can take a look at some internal pictures of my daughters KLF20 over at audio karma in the klipsch section.

In the mid 90s I was mesmerized by a Conrad Johnson KLF 20 system at Almas HIFI In Dearborn MI (home of Ford Motor Company). As luck would have it the oppurtunity to get KLF20s post 9-11 never materialized, nut a pairof black Chorus IIs shower up at Almas on consignment for 800 usd.

Forte and Chorus lines were never known to demonstrate the poor adhesive condition in the KLF series.

KLF 20 was preferrrd by me over the 30. One of these days I will get a KLF C7 as my ceneter channel for life in the HT RIG.

I am cool on the KLF series but the owner needs to be open to mod the cabinet for lomg trm satisfaction.

Cool giving groovy speakers to your daughter!

NOS Valves gave my son a pair of 70s vintage Sansui horn speakers just for putting up with me for a dad.

Lucky kid on a couple of levels.

I can buy a set of rf62ii's for $500 or a set of klf-20's for $450. Both sets are in perfect condition and close in price.

I am sure the RF-62ii's sound great for music but my choice would be the KLF-20's. As a stand alone pair(no subwoofer), the KLF-20's are tough to beat. If you have a tight and musical sub to assist the RF-62ii's, they would give the KLF-20's some tough competition. While I do love to listen to music with my Fortes or Quartet's without a sub, my RF-63's dialed in with my RSW-10d sub, sound just as good to me.

Bill

Audio Flynn: I have to agree with you about the adhesive issue with the KLF`S. I had two pair (one which I rebuilt for my daughter). I think that Klipsch has taken more than their share of grief over this. As far as I know the problem was with the adhesive manufacturer. The KLF`s have motor boards and rear baffles which are laminated on both sides with a really nice black texured melimine veneer. Adhesive bonding to melimine is very difficult. The adhesive got screwed up and then Klipsch had a big headache. The very best way to deal with this is to physically remove both baffles and then use a chissel to remove the hot melt adhesive used from the baffles and the cabinet. You want to scrape down to the MDF on the cabinet side and to the melimine on the baffle side. The melimine surface needs to be surface roughened to give the new adhesive some purchase ( I used a Dremmel tool with a small .75 inch drum sander ). I used Weldbond adhesive to glue everything back together. If the baffles seem to be secure and you don`t want to go to the work and possible risk of breaking a front baffle I would suggest you trim back the stock adhesive on the inside (back to the wood) and scrape the melimine surface then install some .75 inch strapping. Wait for the strapping to get set up in place then add some screws (from the outside of the baffle into the strapping) for insurance and you should have a buzz and rattle free set of cabinets. These are excellent speakers and the crossovers are simple with small inductor values which makes them the least expensive versions to upgrade with large gage air core inductors and sota parts. Best regards Moray James.