Lawn grubs --

oscarsear

Many here know that I am a diehard lawn snob. Sadly, this year I got lawn grubs in one section of the rear yard. Grubs are the larval stage for a range of insects and lawn grubs thrive on grass. They kill it by eating out the roots. Early in summer I knew I had a problem and committed to a Scott's lawn product called GRUBEX. Well it failed - miserably. Parts of the lawn look like 'no-mans' land in WWI. Called Scotts and it turns out that their GRUBEX is quite grub specific and I got a 'too bad - so sad - oh darn, here's a coupon' answer. They really violated their brand trust in my book. It is too late for this year. But has anyone got any idea how best to manage these pest critters? Looking for products or anything. Thnx........

I mistakenly used Scotts fertilizer with weed inhibitor on my lawn and it for all practical purposes destroyed the grass. The grass that survived along the edges of the lawn looked great while the grass that was covered by the fertilizer was 1/4 the height of the grass that wasn't. The fertilizer was spread on the lawn by the book according to the instructions on the bags. New lawn seed would not generate because of the weed inhibitors. No more Scotts for me.

JJK

Get some skunks. They love grubs. You will just then have to deal with little dig holes all over.

But for real try some "Diatomaceous earth". It is a good organic solution. This is from Wiki.....Pest control

Diatomite is also used as an insecticide, due to its physico-sorptive properties. The fine powder absorbs lipids from the waxy outer layer of insects' exoskeletons, causing them to dehydrate.[9] Arthropods die as a result of the water pressure deficiency, based on Fick's law of diffusion. This also works against gastropods and is commonly employed in gardening to defeat slugs.

Check this guy out. He has something for everything.

http://www.jerrybaker.com/garden/information/tipsandtonics.aspx

Here is a little something from his site.

Q: How do I get rid of grubs in my lawn?

A: Apply Milky Spore Powder any time the ground is not frozenits a biological powder that is very effective at controlling Japanese beetle grubs, and starts killing these grubs immediately. As each one dies, it releases even more Milky Spore disease into the soil, helping to protect your lawn for 10 years or more. Then follow up every 2 weeks throughout the growing season by overspraying the area with a mixture of 1 cup of dishwashing liquid, 1 cup of antiseptic mouthwash, and a 1 cup of tobacco tea, in a 20 gallon hose-end sprayer until early August.

Oh no, don't tell me the Scotts with weed inhibitor did that. Is it the bag thats white & green but has the red on it? I bought a bag of that to put on the lawn for the winter time.

As far as the grubs go, I had them this year and because we have a "don't use the big bad anti-environmental chemical" bylaw here, I was forced to use the nematodes on the lawn. Well, I must say it worked pretty good, if I used another treatment, it would have prolly rid them all if I haven't already. The reason I am not exactly certain is cause I used them in the drier of the season and didn't wait til this time of season to spray them on. They supposedly best to spray on/into the lawn early spring or late fall when the best rains and cloudy days are present. They are very prone to UV light from the sun so that is why they recommend to do it then.

Have you dug a couple up? Are they edible?

I can see it now....

"Authentic Asian Stir Fry at Ocsar's House".....

Just kidding.... Down here it's a veritable "zoo". The lawn is xeno-friendly. High cut Bahia grass, same as the pasture. Extremely deep root system, requires no fertilizer, crowds out most weeds, looks nice. When it does not rain, it simply turns brown and goes dormant. Come the first monsoon rain.... stuff will grow 3"-5" in a week. The first time the temps drop below 60 degrees at night (usually in late October), it gets a final high cut (as in the highest cut setting on the mower), and that's it for almost 6 months. Unfortunately, Bahia won't work in Ontario as it gets too cold, too long.

Alot of folks in Florida don't like Bahia or the other coarse blade, less than rug-dense grasses. They plant "Floratam", St. Augustine", etc. and oh boy do they pay for it with watering, weed killers, fertilizers, etc.

It sounds like the jerrybaker idea, or a bag of that diatomaceous earth may solve the problem.

Good luck in any event.

[H]

Just remember to use a mask when you are moving it around. The dust is very bad to breath. But once it is on the ground there is nothing to worry about. The best way to do a whole lawn would be to mix the DE with some very dry sand ( buy a bag now and put in a place in the house so it will be 100% dry for spring) and then apply with a drop spreader to the whole lawn. The best thing to do would be to have your lawn aerified first then apply the DE/sand mixture. That way it can get down the holes and on the surface. The earlier the better.