American Chopper vs. The Metric System

MechMan

It will be a great day when everyone is finally on the same page and no more conversion factors ever need to be used.

Errors will still be made, since we're human after all, but at least there won't be any more conversion errors.

It will be a great day when everyone is finally on the same page and no more conversion factors ever need to be used.

Errors will still be made, since we're human after all, but at least there won't be any more conversion errors.

Indeed. The "we like the old ways" crowd reminds me of the old SNL routine of "Well, when I was a kid we had to convert fluid onces to tablespoons and teaspoons, and we LIKED it that way!"

Sheesh. I've always thought it a good idea, but a few years spent living outside the US sold me entirely. It was crazy trying to readjust to our insanely backwards system.

Dave

And it's first and 9.144 metres to go............. the Colts jump and are penalized 4.572 metres backing them up to their own 27.432 metre line . . .

Yeah......... sounds pretty simple to me Roll-eyes

Yes

Couldn't be easier...or I might not be following. Certainly appears straightforward and a lot more accurate. Anyway, if we let our national interests in business, industry, and science lie in a game only followed by people in this country, and I am not one of them, we are even weirder than I thought.

Dave

And it's first and 9.144 metres to go............. the Colts jump and are penalized 4.572 metres backing them up to their own 27.432 metre line . . .

Yeah......... sounds pretty simple to me Roll-eyes

That's just being silly. 50 yard line, 50 metre line, what's the difference?

If a 100-metre metric football field was 109.36 yards long instead of 100 yards, the teams would have adapted within a season and the little old Imperial-sized field would be just a memory.

• Like 1

And I think we should change time to a ten based system also. And eliminate AM/PM and Daylight savings and all the rest and use GMT.

The ten hour day was introduced in France in 1793 and abandoned in 1805. The second try was abandoned in 1900. It appears that nobody liked it.

From Wiki:

Decimal time was introduced as part of the French Republican Calendar, which, in addition to decimally dividing the day, divided the month into three décades of 10 days each; this calendar was abolished at the end of 1805. The start of each year was determined according to which day the autumnal equinox occurred, in relation to true or apparent solar time at the Paris Observatory. Decimal time would also have been reckoned according to apparent solar time, depending on the location it was observed, as was already the practice generally for the setting of clocks.

The French made another attempt at the decimalization of time in 1897, when the Commission de décimalisation du temps was created by the Bureau des Longitudes, with the mathematician Henri Poincaré as secretary. The commission proposed a compromise of retaining the 24-hour day, but dividing each hour into 100 decimal minutes, and each minute into 100 seconds. The plan did not gain acceptance and was abandoned in 1900.

To me the current system of 24 hour days might as well be 27.365 hours with one hour being 67.3285 minutes and one minute being 75.46897 seconds. We should hopefully catch a break on the current system one of these days. Then there are days, weeks, leap years, long months, short months. What a mess.

JJK

If a 100-metre metric football field was 109.36 yards long instead of 100 yards, the teams would have adapted within a season and the little old Imperial-sized field would be just a memory.

The last time I checked a football field was 120 yards long. There is no reason to change it as it would require major alterations on some existing stadiums. Futbol fields can be whatever you want. I advise you stick with that sport, Sport.

I think we should give up all this base 10 stuff. We only count in base 10 because that is how many fingers a average person has. We should go for base

2.718281828... since it is the natural log and appears in nature and a lot of mathematical calculations. Lets not be stuck in this medievel method of counting using 10. Maybe we could just go back and use cubits. It's all just a matter of being able to learn and understand that your way is not the only way and that your way isn't nececarrily the right or the wrong way. Their way isn't necesarrily the right way either. They all have their places and uses.

The last time I checked a football field was 120 yards long. There is no reason to change it as it would require major alterations on some existing stadiums. Futbol fields can be whatever you want. I advise you stick with that sport, Sport.

Okay, you got me there. I'm not a sports fan and assumed that since 50-yard line was the middle, the field would be 100 yards long. Of course, some room is needed beyond the goal posts.

As for futbol, I just know that those fields are really big.

The only sports I follow are MotoGP and the Tour de France, plus some NHL playoff games.

The centigrade scale is totally useless. If they went to an expanded Kelvin scale that would suit me.

Expanded Kelvin scale? It already goes from absolute zero to infinity.

The centigrade/Celsius scale is the part of the Kelvin scale where we spend most of our time. If you want to convert to kelvins, just add 273 to the Celsius temperature.

Or were you joking? It can be hard to tell in text. [8-|]

Sorry; what I ment was say from about -100F to 120F use an expansion to the kelvin scale---add addtional subcatagories so that the difference between freezing and 50F is not .5 degrees centigrade.

??????????

The freezing point of water is 0 C/32 F. 50 degrees F is 10 degrees C.

It is all a matter of what you use,when I first came here I thought Miles, Yards, feet, inches to the fractions. Degrees F was also my comfort zone.

After 24 years here I think Kilometers, Meters, centimeters, millimeters and I can relate to the degrees C better now. To be honest I am happy I do not have to convert fractions any more (when building).

The rest of American culture has seeped into the rest of the world, I don´t think that the metric system seeping into America is that bad.