Nothing's Happy in Happy Valley

Pete H

This whole situation just makes me sick. I grew up in Pa., I've attended hundreds of Penn State games, gone to banquets and listened to Joe, and the other coaches speak, (including Sandusky) and was always so proud of JoePa's morality. All of this is so disturbing that I, being a long time die hard fan and supporter, sit here and want to see anyone that knew about any of this get fired, locked up, beaten, I'm not sure I can properly convey exactly how I feel, but I think you understand. First and foremost, the individuals and family's that have been and will continue to be affected by these Hannis actions mean much more that a darn football game, but after that and I mean long after that, there are a ton of people that have had nothing to do, or had any knowledge of this that will also continue to pay the price for the actions of one and the ignorance and greed of others.

This is really the first time in my life that I've had a "Hero", or someone that I held up on a pedestal. fail in such a way that I can only feel anger and disdain. God help us if sports or fame in any way makes us believe that there are different degrees of wrong; there are not and hurting a child should be dealt with swiftly and with prejudice and that goes for anyone that turns a blind eye.

I truly hope that the tens of thousands of players, students, alumni and Pennsylvanians that didn't know and couldn't do anything to stop this, hold their heads up and don't blindly support anyone that knew.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One has to wonder about the exact wording of the conversations passed from individual to individual about the shower event. And by the time it got to the big guys they just ho-hummed it.

JJK

We won't have a clue about that until Paterno is allowed to speak. I hope and believe that when that event comes, Joe will be Joe and tell it like it is. There's a long dark road still ahead.

The DA did not press charges. Paterno built that school, made sure his players(pupils) went to class, got an education and graduated. I'll stand by Paterno, his record speaks for itself as a class act and true educator. I understand the university's decision but I still think Paterno got a bum deal. I'm sure financially he is fine but his legacy should not be tarnished by this. Look at all the true jerks in college football----June Jones comes to mind, that idiot from Tennessee now at USC(Kiffin), the guy in charge at SMU when they got the death penalty, etc. Even Bear Bryant was no role model, yeah he won for tamu and bama, but none of these guys emphasized education above football like Paterno.

The DA did not press charges. Paterno built that school, made sure his players(pupils) went to class, got an education and graduated. I'll stand by Paterno, his record speaks for itself as a class act and true educator. I understand the university's decision but I still think Paterno got a bum deal. I'm sure financially he is fine but his legacy should not be tarnished by this. Look at all the true jerks in college football----June Jones comes to mind, that idiot from Tennessee now at USC(Kiffin), the guy in charge at SMU when they got the death penalty, etc. Even Bear Bryant was no role model, yeah he won for tamu and bama, but none of these guys emphasized education above football like Paterno.

Oldtimer, I think you need to read the indictment before standing by old Joe.

Joe Paterno made a terrible decision. He knowingly sat ldley by while childern were being molested by his best friend Jerry Sandusky. The Grad. Assistant reported what he had seen to his father first and then to Joe Paterno. Unfortunately Joe put Jerry Sandusky/Penn State's reputation above the safety of those kids. That is simply unacceptable! He should have called the POLICE!!! Instead, he discussed it with his minions in the athletic dept.

This just goes to show that one bad decision can tear down a mountain of good works. I'm just sick over it all.

• Moderators

I just seen your other post, I didn't read that in the article I read and didn't look at any others. I had know idea it really happened like that, bad decisions.

Such a waste of a such a great career and reputation.

I guess my point is it went to the DA so apparently the case was known by law enforcement. No charges were pressed, and Paterno never did anything wrong, Sandusky was quickly not employed as an active member of faculty afterwards.

Morally wrong decisions will get you too! It doesn't have to be legal wrongdoing. Just ask Joe!

Joe was not arrested because the law only required him to report to his superiors, which he did. The reason the trustees fired him was because they considered he had a moral (not legal) obligation to report the child abuse to the police. The university president, Spanier, was also fired, but he may still face prosecution. If a program or institution is not safe for children, it is nothing. Knowingly allowing a child predator cover to abuse children makes one an accessory to the crime. It's not my opinion, it's the law.