Dual Velodyne HGS15's in the HOUSE!

Youthman

I just ordered it New on Ebay for $12.99. Thx for the recommendation. I like how each track corresponds with the frequency (track 10 = 10Hz). Seems like that would be very handy. I have a CD with test tones but I don't know what frequency is playing so it really doesn't serve a purpose.

Right there with you, I wonder if that is CECAA850's auction? hehe

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just ordered it New on Ebay for $12.99. Thx for the recommendation. I like how each track corresponds with the frequency (track 10 = 10Hz). Seems like that would be very handy. I have a CD with test tones but I don't know what frequency is playing so it really doesn't serve a purpose.

Right there with you, I wonder if that is CECAA850's auction? hehe

Mine is NOT for sale[;)].

• Moderators

Heck yeah Roger. That would totally be sweet. There is a guy locally that is selling a pair of HGS18's for $2600. Funny thing is the thought crossed my mind to sell my two 15's and buy one of the 18's. LOL Its a sick disease I tell you...a sick disease indeed.

I would think that two 15's would be better than a single 18" though. More output but also better for music. But I don't know...I just read this thread and most suggested a pair of HGS18's over 4 HGS15's.

What do you think?

Heck yeah Roger. That would totally be sweet. There is a guy locally that is selling a pair of HGS18's for $2600. Funny thing is the thought crossed my mind to sell my two 15's and buy one of the 18's. LOL Its a sick disease I tell you...a sick disease indeed.

I would think that two 15's would be better than a single 18" though. More output but also better for music. But I don't know...I just read this thread and most suggested a pair of HGS18's over 4 HGS15's.

What do you think?

Youth,

I paid $1800 for one of my subs used and $1600 for the other, plus shipping for both. I'd say if you can get a pair in nice shape for $2600, go for it, then you can descide if they are worth keeping and wich ones to sell. Your openings where you have your 15s look just the right size for the 18s. [;)]

Roger

• Moderators

Thx Stolen. I was watching one on Ebay but I let the auction slip by me due to company being over. I'll definitely be picking it up.

I'd say if you can get a pair in nice shape for $2600, go for it,

Ok Roger, that wasn't the option. It was Dual 15's or a Single 18. LOL You don't know how cheap I am. The goal for me is to not spend money and to find the incredible deals out there. $2600 isn't an incredible deal to me. Haha. Dual 18's does sound dreamy though. Trust me, I've already contacted them previously to see if he would be interested in a barter for them but he has no use for website design.

Well, tonight I was able to demo the Dual HGS15's with Captain America. This was my first opportunity to listen to them since I my recent purchase of the second HGS15. I'll post a my thoughts about the movie in another thread. The addition of a second sub was absolutely incredible. If you remember in some of my posts a long time ago, I've always been wanting to "feel" more during movies. Search no longer. The depth that the Velo's dig is pretty incredible. Never once sounding strained or distorted. Just tight, clean, gut wrenching bass. I had previously considered adding butt kickers but after adding the 2nd sub, I no longer have a need for them.

I had previously borrowed a DD15 and had it paired with my other sub and didn't really hear a difference. It was not in the location my second sub is now so that probalby had a huge difference. I do want to compare a few scenes with 1 HGS15 vs Dual HGS15's just to verify if the second sub truly made that much of a difference. Maybe Captain America was just that good but I'm thinking the 2nd sub is what made the difference.

Good news is my 15 amp breakers never tripped. [:D] Just when I thought my HT couldn't get any better...it did. [:D]

• Moderators

I'll post a my thoughts about the movie in another thread.

Nah, no need in starting a new thread called "Initial Impressions of the Dual Velodyne HGS15's". I'll just add my thoughts here.

My son picked out the movie for tonight, Captain America. I had not had a chance to demo, calibrate etc. I set the level and
crossover on the sub to match the first one dropped in the movie and
dimmed the lights.

Tonight, we all experienced the movie at a new
level. With each explosion, firing of the guns, we literally were
feeling each action sequence. Although my chair and body were vibrating,
I never felt that it was "boomy" or overbearing of the mains. Without
any tweaking, it sounded pretty sweet to me. Can't wait until I'm able
to actually dial it in and make it even better.

We all really enjoyed the movie as well. The plot and storyline was well written. Movie was very clean, other than a few cuss words. I was glad that the movie producers didn't add sexuality and all the other typical garbage that is often littered throughout movies. There is even a sceen where a guy moons Captain America and just when he is about to drop his drawers, the camera cuts to another scene. It just goes to show you that you can make a clean movie and still make a great movie.

Action scenes gave the subs the ability to flex their muscles. Lots of LFE during explosions, gunfire, ray guns (not sure what they called them) etc. I had heard from a few of my youth that the movie wasn't that good. They lied. We loved it.

At the end of the movie, my daugher said, "That was just awesome!". I asked my son what he thought about the second sub, he said "It definitely had more bass". Doesn't get much better than that.

Michael,

That is great.

You are officially charged with stealing (2) HGS15's.

I do believe you will notice that you have a more balanced system now especially with music.

Bill

Emphasis on Bill's comment here.

I found much benefit to using dual sub cabs.....and they are the
JBL 4638 cabinets (each with dual 15s). I absolutely have no need for 4
15" JBL professional use woofers in my 14x24 space, but the
EFFORTLESSNESS
and symmetry seems to serve my install very well. It took
two whole days with test tones and mics very busy to get them "right",
but these beasts properly EQ'd and set up yields a scale that sounds
much bigger than 14x24. I was the luckiest SOB on the planet when I was
able to do this for my HT for under $800 via a JBL "tent sale" some
years ago. I couldn't believe that average joe me figured out how to run
a parametric EQ from reading forum posts, but I did and the rewards
have been worth multiples of that $800.

These subs have a lifetime
"Sunday walk in the park", relative to what they are built to do (the
pair will get me to the high 120's down to 25 hz and mid 120's at 20)
and they never see that volume. Mostly they provide reinforcement to the
system at more modest levels, sonically invisible and an extension of
the Cornwalls that they "reinforce".

So absolutely no argument about adding another sub..... more woofers to spread the energy can be a good thing, if integrated properly....

Thx Stolen. I was watching one on Ebay but I let the auction slip by me due to company being over. I'll definitely be picking it up.

I'd say if you can get a pair in nice shape for $2600, go for it,

Ok Roger, that wasn't the option. It was Dual 15's or a Single 18. LOL You don't know how cheap I am. The goal for me is to not spend money and to find the incredible deals out there. $2600 isn't an incredible deal to me. Haha. Dual 18's does sound dreamy though. Trust me, I've already contacted them previously to see if he would be interested in a barter for them but he has no use for website design.

Well, tonight I was able to demo the Dual HGS15's with Captain America. This was my first opportunity to listen to them since I my recent purchase of the second HGS15. I'll post a my thoughts about the movie in another thread. The addition of a second sub was absolutely incredible. If you remember in some of my posts a long time ago, I've always been wanting to "feel" more during movies. Search no longer. The depth that the Velo's dig is pretty incredible. Never once sounding strained or distorted. Just tight, clean, gut wrenching bass. I had previously considered adding butt kickers but after adding the 2nd sub, I no longer have a need for them.

I had previously borrowed a DD15 and had it paired with my other sub and didn't really hear a difference. It was not in the location my second sub is now so that probalby had a huge difference. I do want to compare a few scenes with 1 HGS15 vs Dual HGS15's just to verify if the second sub truly made that much of a difference. Maybe Captain America was just that good but I'm thinking the 2nd sub is what made the difference.

Good news is my 15 amp breakers never tripped. Big Smile Just when I thought my HT couldn't get any better...it did. Big Smile

Youth,

Glad you are finding your second sub is adding so much for you. Now to try out Open Range and Master and Comander when you get a chance. I know you just ordered a test tone disc, but may I also recomend the one made by Bass Mechanix. The cover has is entirely Red and it has a front on shot of a car on the cover. It is a two disc DVD set; one with songs, and the second with both all the test tones and sweeps of the differant test tones down to 0Hz. It is great to demo your subs sub sonic capabilities (all feeling in the chest and chair without an audible tone) It also has speaker check, wich puts a tone though each individual speaker of a 5.1 configuration. The songs were good enough for JC to burn a copy, and everyone knows how he loves his Bass![:D][Y]

Roger

Youth could always sell me a 15" to go with my Sunfire true sub. Kinda like to see what two subs would do for my bedroom

Or Willland can sell you a 15" to go with your Sunfire True Subwoofer Signature.[;)] You can't go wrong with either one but I know Youth ain't selling his any time soon.

Bill

• Moderators

Now to try out Open Range and Master and Comander when you get a chance.

I own Master and Commander, never watched it. LOL Any particular scene a good demo?

the second with both all the test tones and sweeps of the differant test tones down to 0Hz. It is great to demo your subs sub sonic capabilities (all feeling in the chest and chair without an audible tone)

The CD I ordered says "Tracks 10-98: Frequencies corresponding to track numbers. The numerical
track indicator of the CD player matches with the frequency that is
recorded on that track, for example, track 10 = 10Hz" I believe 10hz is lower than my sub will play anyways so would the Bass Mechanics CD just be redundant?

I own Master and Commander, never watched it. LOL Any particular scene a good demo?

Are you kidding me?????? The surround effects and LFE track in that movie are spectacular. Don't worry about a particular track, just watch the movie, it's a great movie with a great soundtrack.

• Moderators

Ok, instead of renting my next movie, I'll watch Master and Commander instead. [:D] I believe I got it when I bought my PS3 from a forum member a long time ago. He sent me 10 blurays and a 40' HDMI cable when I bought it.

I have a ? for Youth, what do you think the additional sub added to the sound quality?

I have not had a chance to A/B single vs dual yet and have done no tweeking of the UMC-1 or the sub itself. More of a plug and play at this point. I"ve been swamped with design work that I haven't had any time to devote to it. No 2ch listening either. Should be able to squeeze in some time this week during Thanksgiving break. Will keep you posted.

I have not had a chance to A/B single vs dual yet and have done no tweeking of the UMC-1 or the sub itself. More of a plug and play at this point. I"ve been swamped with design work that I haven't had any time to devote to it. No 2ch listening either. Should be able to squeeze in some time this week during Thanksgiving break. Will keep you posted.

That's a good thing. Glad to hear you're staying busy.[Y].