MMMMMM... A big pot of Chili luvin...

jhoak

Just what the doctor ordered for a brisk Thursday evening.

Posted Image

My house smell wonderful. Can't wait. In 4 or 5 hours I'll be in a Chili induced stupor. A couple of dashes of hot sauce, some cheddar cheese, a little onion, and a glass or two of Samuel Adams Cream Stout and I'll be sleeping like a baby tonight. [:D]

Started on it first thing this morning. Assuming I can stay out of it until dinner time it'll have a bit shy of 12 hours of simmer time.

OH... And for the "purists" don't bother. My chili has beans in it. Deal with it. [;)]

Just what the doctor ordered for a brisk Thursday evening.

Chili.jpg

My house smell wonderful. Can't wait. In 4 or 5 hours I'll be in a Chili induced stupor. A couple of dashes of hot sauce, some cheddar cheese, a little onion, and a glass or two of Samuel Adams Cream Stout and I'll be sleeping like a baby tonight. Big Smile

Started on it first thing this morning. Assuming I can stay out of it until dinner time it'll have a bit shy of 12 hours of simmer time.

OH... And for the "purists" don't bother. My chili has beans in it. Deal with it. Wink

This looks outstanding.... I'm a bean guy, so it is complete by my standards.... This would also be a great posting on the "RTDM" thread....

There's beans in mine always, and some jalapeno's, heck once in a while some hot italian sausage too, just what ever hits me that time. I always cook up a huge pot for a day or two so I can freeze up at least 6-10 additional meals with the same amount of work and an additional 10 minutes to get it ready for the freezer.

I have cooked a lot of PURE Texas Red using the finest chilis, a bit of onion and garlic, rough cut beef, masa harina, and water. It's rather frustrating to get the very best chilis and processing them is a bit of a chore as well. Of course, the results are awesome.

However, like a few other comments in the "It's how I like and ya'll kin kiss muh foot..." vein, I keep several packets of Wick Fowler's 2 Alarm around when I just want some comfort food in a hurry. Simply made by directions, it's better than most any restaurant variety. Recently, I've learned the "margin of excellence." Purist chili has no tomatoes in it, but Wick's calls for tomato sauce. I use tomato paste instead. But more important, a tablespoon (or to taste) of sambal. Yep. Sambal. Who'd a thunk it? The chilis in sambal are very "chili" tasting and transform the mundane Wick Fowler's to seriously good. Suggest leaving out the Wick Fowler red pepper packet. Flavorless heat. You can get all you want from the sambal and then some...plus real chili flavor.

Beans? Dump a can of Goya pintos in. Goya is the only canned pinto on the planet that is anything like the real deal. Refries awesome.

Dave

There was a time when I built a pot of Chili with home grown jalapenos, serranos and from time to time habaneros.

Unfortunately while my mouth still LOVES the "heat" my tummy and the "far end" simply does not.

Lately I've been concentrating on the meat mixture for good flavor. The current batch is 1# lean ground beef, 1# not so lean ground beef, 1# lean ground pork, 1# ground veal, and 2# top sirloin cut in to small chunks.

I no longer grow my own peppers so I rely on the grocery for fresh jalapenos, red chilis, and canned chipoltes (with adobo) for a bit of "heat".

It's funny to me that you mention Goya beans. As far as I'm concerned there are Goya canned beans and pretty much nothing else even close. I live in an area with a fairly large Latino community so finding Goya and other GREAT Latino products is pretty easy.

It's funny to me that you mention Goya beans. As far as I'm concerned there are Goya canned beans and pretty much nothing else even close. I live in an area with a fairly large Latino community so finding Goya and other GREAT Latino products is pretty easy.

As to this whole discussion, see my sig line and substitute "tastes" for "sound." I suspect I'd really like your "cheat" chili. I'm into diversity when it comes to food...

However, my system still handles hot nicely. You can't really get "chili" flavor without hot. I do not care for heat for heats sake, but the best flavor seems to require it. I LOVE serranos...significant heat but awesome flavor. I call them "green peppers with ATTITUDE." My wife jokes that I am almost always saying "very good, but it would be even better with a serrano" about almost everything.

Dave

My first wife had a uncle who married a Thai native. She (the Thai, not my wife) started off with a small garden growing peppers native to her homeland. Eventually she turned it in to a nice "cottage" business selling her peppers to local "ethnic" grocery stores.

I have to say that just behind habaneros her's were the hottest d@mn things I have ever put in my mouth. Not a lot of pepper "flavor" per se' but OMG they were wicked hot.

I've had my share of WAY hot Thai food but none has come close to what she was growing. That said there's a local Vietnamese restaurant that has a few dishes that will just tear your head off hot.

No I don't go there very often

• Moderators

I like hot if it has flavor to match, had some Schezwan while on vacation, hot but really good. You know it's good when you eat it all and end up sitting there with sweat on your forehead but still wanting more, it was good. [;)]

Hard to beat a good chili, just starting to try different recipes but have been smoking the meat in a big pan to start with that flavor. I have a long way to go before I get there, especially with different peppers for different flavors.