South Texas Outdoors

Gilbert

Were you that close to the snake or did you use the zoom?

JJK

I was close, even caught him to show the kids, which is why he was pissed off, puffed up, and hisssssssssing like a devil. It's not a big deal to catch snakes, especially the non-poisonous ones like this Indigo. Been bit a few time when I was younger, gotta get'em just behind the head or else they'll reach around and give yea a love nip.

This is actually very good snakes, and ranchers love'em because they'll go after and eat rattlers.

When my sisters and i were kids, my elder sister (who was 14 at the time) once barged into a crowd of older high school boys who were at the 4-H and FFA pens throwing rocks at this small 3 ft Indigo. They broke the snakes jaw, and my sister (who's now a veterinarian) caught it, brought it home, fed it raw egg though an eye dropper and nursed it back to health. She named the snake Feebee, and she was a good snake and an excellent pet. Feebee heeled up nicely, and we would buy her mice to eat.

It was pretty cool being young and getting to experience all the things we did as kids.

If it's wild in South Texas, we had it for a pet at one time or another. The elementary school use to have field trips to our house, just to introduce the children to animals, native and not so native species. Anyway, Feebee was especially liked in our house, and we'd take turns letting her snuggle-up and laying on our warm chest while we watched television.

I use to be afraid of snakes too, and I did with my girls, exactly as my father did with me all those years ago. It really helps to wash away the unfounded fear some people have of snakes.

I had friends here in north georgia who lived in a very old two story farmhouse with a tin roof. It didn't have insulation in it, and sometimes at night, during the summer, they could hear this huge Kingsnake climbing through the walls. The husband saw it often when he was outside doing yard work, and just ignored it.

They never had any mice in the house, and the snake never got inside. The wife came across it outside their workshop one day and killed it... After that, they started having mice problems.

Bruce

Very cool pictures, I think that bird might be a Whip poor will fairly rare to see one of those

Yes, that's one of the names their called, the Mexican cowboys call 'em paurajes. There's really quite a few different names like I said.