Best $750-$1200 sub for movies or stick with RSW15

jordan122345

Okay so as I am waiting for my funds to clear with paypal to get the RSW15 from Don for $750.I have been doing alot of research the last few days,So In the price range of $750 to $1200 would there be a better sub for the money to go with the RF7 setup for MOVIES.I was looking at SVS,HSU,EPIK,and Outlaw.I am sure there are other brands that I am not aware of or are out of the price range.

I just want to make sure that I am not making the wrong choice with the RSW15 since it is very limited below 25htz

ive made my decision to move forward with getting 2 svs pc-12 plus, i know its twice as much as you want and twice the price but i wanted to ensure even bass response in my room.

I looked at all of the other brands you mentioned and more and the HSU's cant keep up, the epiks i didnt like their design, rythmik i didnt like because i called 5 times and never got someone to pick up, elemental designs have lead times and i read some mixed reviews, the outlaw audio sub is not in the same caliber as what you could be looking for to be better than the rsw-15. This left me with SVS and their sledge amps. I called them and they were there to talk to and to get advice from and their amps are rock solid pieces of equipment. I settled on the cylinders because of their space saving design and they were downfiring and ported, two things i was looking to get in my next sub. Their forward firing ported design pb-12 plus was a contender but the space saving design is what sold me over the box.

The rsw-15 is a beast of a sub, i didnt have much play with it for the whole 2 weeks i owned it in an apartment, but it looked like it would perform well.

Those were kinda my thoughts.But yes the SVS is almost double what I am getting the RSW15 for, but it looks like it goes downwards of 10 an 12 hertz too.And the only thing that makes me sorta wonder on the Klipsch is that everywhere besides here they recommend every other sub except for the RSW15 for movies.Now I know that is partially because it is the klipsch website but still.So Subxero in your opinion you think I should maybe put some more money together and get the SVS PB12+ or for the $750 stick with the RSW15 and not really enjoy anything below really 25htz.Thanks Ron

its really hard to say. I havent looked for any spec sheets on the rsw-15 performance in db vs frequency performance, that tells you a lot about the sub. I wish i could give you a solid answer but my experience with both subs is none really, i have only read reviews.

http://www.klipsch.com/rsw-15-subwoofer

it says its extension is low to 19hz but my guess is that the svs will outperform it. I just cant say because we dont even know the reference point klipsch rated the frequency bottom end at. It could be at 80db for all we know which isnt going to help much once things get going

So In the price range of $750 to $1200 would there be a better sub for the money to go with the RF7 setup for MOVIES.

There is always going to be something better, period, no matter what you buy.

The RSW-15 is one very[8] very[8] very[8] musical sub that holds its own with HT[li]. Let me tell you, you probably will not hear 12Hz to 14Hz anyway, so why not just keep an overall better sounding sub that sounds awesome from 22hz to 80hz since most LFE content is in that range anyway.

Just my take on all this.

You got a very good deal on an incredible sub so just enjoy it for some time and then decide if it is not for you.

Bill

So In the price range of $750 to $1200 would there be a better sub for the money to go with the RF7 setup for MOVIES.

The RSW-15 is one veryMusic veryMusic veryMusic musical sub that holds its own with HTLightning. Let me tell you, you probably will not hear 12Hz to 14Hz anyway, so why not just keep an overall better sounding sub that sounds awesome from 22hz to 80hz since most LFE content is in that range anyway.

You got a very good deal on an incredible sub so just enjoy it for some time and then decide if it is not for you.

Bill

Good advice Bill.......thanks for saving me from typing a lot more.

I believe the deal I am getting on the sub is a good one for sure and it is in GREAT shape.So I guess the real question is how much lower than the RSW15's ability do the majority of movies go.And it most definetly sounds like it is an awesome sub for Music just not so sure on movies.I might be screwed on the Klipsch sub anyways.Don needs the money asap and I just got off the phone with the damn insurance company.

go with the svs and you shouldnt be unhappy. the rsw-15 will work but im sure the svs will be better, its more money but you sure as hell are getting a good product for your money. Or if you wanna save a lil more and splurge if you are just getting one, the pc13-ultra

I might not have a choice since I will not be able to get the RSW15 because of insurance CRAP.So I will have to wait a few weeks extra now but that will allow me too save a little bit more.I wonder how big a difference there is between the SVS pb13 ultra and the SVS pb12plus.Is it worth the extra $650

• Moderators

No offense but I would take a used $750 RSW-15 over a new $1499-$1999 SVS sub anyday. It's not because SVS doesn't make great subs...it's because I'm cheap. LOL. I just don't see myself hearing $1250 worth of difference between the RSW-15 and the PB-13 Ultra sub. It's the law of diministhing return.

IMO, there are just too many good deals out there not to buy used.

PB13 Ultra - $1600 - Link

Cherry PB13 Ultra - $1400 - Link

PB12 - $550 - Link

(2) PB12 Plus - $649 each - Link You could have Dual SVS subs for less than One new one

PB2 Plus - $900 - Link This was one sick sub. I've heard it will compromise the integrity of your walls.

PB12 Plus - $450 - Link

I might not have a choice since I will not be able to get the RSW15 because of insurance CRAP.So I will have to wait a few weeks extra now but that will allow me too save a little bit more.I wonder how big a difference there is between the SVS pb13 ultra and the SVS pb12plus.Is it worth the extra $650

the bang for your buck there is to get the cylinder version of it since it require alot let materials and it is much easier to construct.

Youthman is right, used is the best bang for the buck. I hate buying used subwoofers, hate hate hate it. Why? Because subs are easy to mistreat and the amps in some, especially with age can go and alot of time you can get screwed. This is depdendent upon manufacturer too and tried and true performance but its something that always makes me warey. I also hate buying used receivers or amps unless i get things at a smoking price. I got burned on my rotel rx-1052 a bit which pisses me off to no end because of the great sound it has and i paid 250 for it. I only get used receivers and amps now if they are part of a package where im "not" paying for it in how i value the items or if i have some money to blow because i want to try something. Youthman and alot of members have had good luck buying good quality used power amps, some times you just get a lemon, so make lemonade.

Buying used, unpowered speakers i have no problem doing. Usually there are tell tale signs of abuse if you know where to look and always test them as well as check for authenticity.

As for the performance between the two, i would only pay the extra if i was getting the cylinder subs, i think the box subs just get too pricey when you are dealing with 1" more diameter cone width and 200 watts more. My guess is the best value here would be the pc12-plus

] Good advice Bill.......thanks for saving me from typing a lot more.

The RSW-15 is one veryMusic veryMusic veryMusic musical sub that holds its own with HTLightning. Let me tell you, you probably will not hear 12Hz to 14Hz anyway, so why not just keep an overall better sounding sub that sounds awesome from 22hz to 80hz since most LFE content is in that range anyway.

Bill

+ Another 1, + what Youth said and I'll add this; I love my RSW's and I recently built a SPUD, so I now own a Sub that digs down lower than my 15's and it's great for HT, but that doesn't make my 15's crap for HT and they are so fine for music that I think the 15 is a killer deal that for $750 will give you a ton of bang for the buck. I've also heard the SVS line as they are produced very close to where I live and they are solid subs.

youth offers good advice, although looking at his system specs cheap isnt the word that comes to mind :)

anyway I cant offer direct comparisions to the rsw15 but pb13 ultras have gone for 1000-1200 many times before and I'd jump at one of those without batting a eye when compared to the rsw if at those prices, im with youth on this 1500-2000 I'd pass for now

since you have plenty of time to decide keep an eye on audiogon and see what subs continue to go for what prices, also you can continue to look on here in the garage sale section and emotiva has a emporium section similiar to the garage sale section for used items

the pb12 plus for 450 would be a good deal, having had a svs pb12/2 (similiar to the pb2 plus) prior to this ed sub I can tell you they definitely perform

The RSW-15 for sale belongs to me and here is my take on it. I am not a sub guru like SuBXeRo but I have the RSW-15 and a SVS pb12-ultra/2 and very happy with both of them. I am keeping the SVS mainly because it matches my Khorn mains. As far as performance I never turn either one of them above 4 on the gain control as it is not needed. I have no doubt someone local will want this sub.

post-29696-1381968602922_thumb.jpg

I am not a sub guru like SuBXeRo

[:|]

Ive only talked to ONE sub guru on this forum, and that was THE EAR. He had actually listened and owned more subs than we will ever own in a lifetime. I would consider this guy to be more of a guru because of this. xero ruled a sub out because he called and couldnt get someone on the phone and ruled another out because he "heard" mixed reviews. IMHO, he is missing out.

I am not a sub guru like SuBXeRo

Indifferent

Ive only talked to ONE sub guru on this forum, and that was THE EAR. He had actually listened and owned more subs than we will ever own in a lifetime. I would consider this guy to be more of a guru because of this. xero ruled a sub out because he called and couldnt get someone on the phone and ruled another out because he "heard" mixed reviews. IMHO, he is missing out.

I agree ! He is so pro SVS but yet his sig says he has 2 Emotiva subs, WHATS UP!

• Moderators

youth offers good advice, although looking at his system specs cheap isnt the word that comes to mind :)

Ah if you knew what I paid for my gear, you would see that I'm cheap and a deal scavenger. I calculated it one time and I believe overall I have saved between 70%
and 75% on my HT. Some pieces I paid full retail, some I picked up for
descent deals, some I have bartered for and some I have picked up at
rediculous prices.

I'm a little weird in that I'm willing to wait several years and pass on "descent deals" in order to wait for the "steal of a deal" to come along. To me, that's part of the fun, excitement and thrill of the hunt. As I've stated before, my first Velodyne HGS15 I only paid $200 for and it has never given me one hickup of a problem. It's rare that you find a 15" sub with XLR Balanced Inputs, 1250 watt RMS amp in Piano black finish and in perfect working order and minor cosmetic scratches for $200. They typically sell on Ebay for around $900 with shipping. Solid performer, very musical and digs down deep for HT.

The RSW-15 for sale belongs to me and here is my take on it. I am not a sub guru like SuBXeRo but I have the RSW-15 and a SVS pb12-ultra/2 and very happy with both of them. I am keeping the SVS mainly because it matches my Khorn mains. As far as performance I never turn either one of them above 4 on the gain control as it is not needed. I have no doubt someone local will want this sub.

Psht, i appreciate the support but i am in no way a sub guru and thats for sure. I base my purchases on factors outside of sound too as technical support and replacement parts and a staff i can get a hold of with someone who can answer my questions is important to me. The rythmik subs got good reviews as performance goes and i wont knock that but thats where my fascination was lost. For me, i think the money is worth it for the SVS. Most people know that i love the good deals and i have gotten some smokin awesome ones in the past but sometimes, i want new car smell.

I will be getting the svs subs as soon as my wf-35 system and 2 emtoiva subs sell