Turntables, revisited

colterphoto1

THANKS GaryMD, Gary sent me a Shure M97eX barely used. I think I'll have my guy mount it on the other Technics headshell. From what I'm hearing it's not a good mate for the Thorens due to the mass/compliance issue, is that right Mike Lindsay?? Or should I try it out? I have two 1700's one has the Grado Black (cheapie) on it already..Thanks again Gary!!!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought table after table,(B and O, Dual, and I don't know what else lots of years ago) finally settled on a Technics Direct Drive. Also, cartridge after cartridge...found the Audio Technica and quit thinking about cartridges. I put a Platter Matter weighted platen covering on top of mine and just played it...adds mass and stability, has a somewhat tacky surface that partially sticks to and splints the vinyl, kinda keeps it from spuriously vibrating, and adds to fidelity and tightness of low notes. I set that sucker on top of a 4" thick slab of foam rubber and "let the big dog eat"! I was a late adopter of CD's, waiting some 12 years after they came out to buy my first. Now I have a closet full of vinyl, still have the table and cartridge, just do not use them so much any more. For my purposes, the direct drive Technics table I bought in 1981 is great, and I am not a DJ, BTW!!!

THANKS GaryMD, Gary sent me a Shure M97eX barely used. I think I'll have my guy mount it on the other Technics headshell. From what I'm hearing it's not a good mate for the Thorens due to the mass/compliance issue, is that right Mike Lindsay?? Or should I try it out? I have two 1700's one has the Grado Black (cheapie) on it already..Thanks again Gary!!!

Well, the numbers would tell you its not a good match, but that doesn't mean it won't sound good. You're not gonna hurt anything by putting it on there except possibly your ears. [:P]

Mike

Guest davidness

I've only owned one real turntable; a Technics Direct Drive (SL-1200GLD Bling!) with the Denon 103R (and 103SA) cartridge, and I love it. I am not a DJ. Very fast spin-up. Very fast Spin-down. Built like a tank, Easy to get parts for. Dead-on speed.

Plus, I bought it used (like new) for about $750 about two years ago. Now they are selling for over $2000 on eBay (and still rising). Gotta' love that.

post-38614-13819687184074_thumb.jpg

I've only owned one real turntable; a Technics Direct Drive (SL-1200GLD Bling!) with the Denon 103R (and 103SA) cartridge, and I love it. I am not a DJ. Very fast spin-up. Very fast Spin-down. Built like a tank, Easy to get parts for. Dead-on speed.

Plus, I bought it used (like new) for about $750 about two years ago. Now they are selling for over $2000 on eBay (and still rising). Gotta' love that.

Very cool! When I bought my SL-1210M5G in 2010 (one of the last new ones), there were no more GLD models to be found.

You got a heck of a deal!

I bought my SL1200MK2 in the classic silver right before the price went up from $450 street to $750. Within months they went up to $1100, then they were gone. I'm awfully glad I got mine, because it's been a really solid, good sounding performer. Previous tables were an old AR-Xa, harman-kardon T60C, Thorens TD-147 (I think), maybe another one or two that I've forgotten. I have a TD-124 that needs restoring, too. The Technics was plug n play, and really sounds as good as anything else I've had. Incredible quality for $450.

BTW, in response to the "it's a lousy DJ table" comments -- Look up the history of the SL1200 and you'll see that it was originally designed to be a home audio-friendly descendant of the SP-10, sort of an SL-110 with arm and base included, ready to go. It was built like a tank and came with rock steady speed control, so was adopted by DJ's. Its roots are totally in audiophile territory. And don't tell me the Technics SP-10 wasn't a great table!

--

BTW, in response to the "it's a lousy DJ table" comments -- Look up the history of the SL1200 and you'll see that it was originally designed to be a home audio-friendly descendant of the SP-10, sort of an SL-110 with arm and base included, ready to go. It was built like a tank and came with rock steady speed control, so was adopted by DJ's. Its roots are totally in audiophile territory. And don't tell me the Technics SP-10 wasn't a great table! --

That rock steady speed control allows the 1200 turntables to have a certain bass authority you don't always get with belt drive turntables. Having your music always exactly on tempo is great, but some low-end belt drive turntables don't have precise speed as a high priority.

I even read a review of a belt drive deck in which the turntable's (non-adjustable) slightly fast speed was described as a characteristic of the brand, which added energy to the music. That's like a car tester saying the car pulls to the left, which is helpful in left turns...

I even read a review of a belt drive deck in which the turntable's (non-adjustable) slightly fast speed was described as a characteristic of the brand, which added energy to the music. That's like a car tester saying the car pulls to the left, which is helpful in left turns...

Great analogy!!

slightly fast speed was described as a characteristic of the brand, which added energy to the music.

There is actually some truth to that. I have an article somewhere describing how some cathedral, due to the construction techniques, reflections, etc., caused the pitch to shift upward a fraction, causing the 'feeling, emotion' to be uplifting. A shift downwould cause the music to sound heavy and depressing.

Still lame for them to use that as an technical excuse.

Bruce

There was a famous musician who never wanted to record his performances, since he would adjust the tempo to suit the response of the room, so a recording could never be optimum for home play. He was a bit of a purist.

But you're right, for a turntable reviewer to say that speed error is a feature is really lame.

I’m fairly sure that you’re referring to Rega turntables when you speak to running slightly fast. All of the Rega tables that I’ve owned did indeed run just a bit fast.

A number of years ago I read an interview with the fellow who was either the owner or maybe the president of Rega. He was asked about the “speed issue” and stated that it was intentional. The idea was that they DO test slightly fast when not playing but the additional weight of the album on the platter plus the “drag” of the stylus in the groove brought the speed down to spot on 33.33. I’m not buying it. I could play the same song on vinyl and CD and the vinyl was still slightly fast.

The funny part is that the “fix” for Rega speed issues is very easy and comes in two flavors. One is to spend a ton of $$ on one of the aftermarket subplatters. The other is as simple as one of the jumbo rubber bands that the grocery stores use to bundle broccoli. Wrap that guy around the subplatter and the speed is now where it should be.

I'm by no way an expert but I know what I like. Found a MMF-7 on Craig's list
new years day 450.00 no cart but when I picked it up it was set up with the
below cart, I liked it enough to pick up a new one. Complete TT under 1K
Bliss!

My first MC cart and can tell you I'm never going back.

Dynavector MC 10X5 Cartridge 450.00

http://www.needledoctor.com/Dynavector-10X5-Cartridge?sc=9&category=-109

Stereophile Recommended Component
The latest in
Dynavector's entry-level series, the high output 10x5 moving -coil proved
"ridiculously good for the money."

Hifi World Review
The most
musical cartridge at or near its price, the baby Dynavector is a classic budget
audiophile product. -July 01

I'm not positive, but it could well have been a Rega.

If stylus drag can lug down the platter's rotation speed, doesn't that imply that speed will vary with the content of the music, like heavily modulated passages slowing more than other sections? It sounds like the motor is way underpowered.

Some turntables have impressive levels of engineering and construction. The ones made of a piece of particle board on spikes or rubber bumpers with a low-cost generic motor really don't. Belt drive can be chosen for reasons of motor isolation, but in these cases, it may be to allow tolerances in construction which the belt will accomodate.

Direct drive doesn't allow that, so it's harder to build low-end or high-end DD turntables without a substantial investment in manufacturing equipment, while low-end belt drive decks can be built with minimal equipment. That's great for a home project; not so much for anyone who wants top performance from their turntable.

If stylus drag can lug down the platter's rotation speed, doesn't that imply that speed will vary with the content of the music, like heavily modulated passages slowing more than other sections? It sounds like the motor is way underpowered.

It would certainly seem so. Like I said... I'm not buying it. I really think it's a matter of "marketing". When a buyer compares tables in his (or her) local store the Rega just sounds a little "livelier" and thus sells better. All of the Regas that I owned I bought used so I really don't have any real world experience to base that opinion on.

I used a strobe disc and neon light to check speed on one of my Rega tables. I found absolutely no difference in speed between not playing an album and playing album. It ran a bit fast in both scenarios. The big rubber band brought it back to proper speed.

I'm by no way an expert but I know what I like. Found a MMF-7 on Craig's list new years day 450.00 no cart but when I picked it up it was set up with the below cart, I liked it enough to pick up a new one. Complete TT under 1K Bliss!

My first MC cart and can tell you I'm never going back.

Dynavector MC 10X5 Cartridge 450.00

http://www.needledoctor.com/Dynavector-10X5-Cartridge?sc=9&category=-109

Stereophile Recommended Component
The latest in Dynavector's entry-level series, the high output 10x5 moving -coil proved "ridiculously good for the money."

Hifi World Review
The most musical cartridge at or near its price, the baby Dynavector is a classic budget audiophile product. -July 01

Are you using standard phono ins with that homc or a separate step up phono stage?