Not quite what I thought

cdub5

So I've been doing my research for several weeks now, and have started, or participated in a few threads on this forum, gaining tons of knowledge from the incredible members. I've spoken with speaker installers, speaker sales reps, read tons and tons of reviews, and I was finally able to narrow down what speaker set I wanted to buy. My problem that I was having was that I couldn't find anywhere to do the most important research, LISTEN to them. I finally found a store about an hour away from me that at least had the fronts I wanted, the rf82II's. They didn't have the center I wanted, rc62II, but they did have the 52. From what I've read, the 62II is a big improvment over the 52, but since I had yet to actually hear any Klipsch speakers, I figured it was better than nothing. Everything I've read or been told about these speakers has been EXTREMELY positive. The only negative I can find is that for some, Klipsch speakers are too "bright." With all this positive I was just gonna order my speakers, but I decided to haul the kids out to go and listen at the one store I found. I was like a giddy little kid on christmas morning, I was so excited. However, when I finally got to hear them, using the Transformers 2 blu ray, it was not exactly what I expected. The rep was running the speakers off a receiver, not the same as mine, but similar. I was hoping for that movie theater (ish) experience, and it just wasn't there. I turned the volume up to -5db, which is about how loud I turn up my receiver at home, using my tiny little yamaha satellite speakers, and I just didn't get that powerfull, room filling, incredibleness, that I have been told that speakers of this caliber provide. I tried them first with just the fronts, and center, and then tried them with a sub. The center was somewhat loud, a little sharp, and the towers were okay. I felt like if I turned it up more, the center would of been too sharp, and the rest of the sound would get lost. Please don't look at this as me dumping on klipsch, I'm not, I'm just confused. For speakers that are at least 10X the price of my current set up, and about 30X bigger, I just thought they would blow me away, even at a lower volume level. I truly feel that something must not have been right. In my mind, klipsch would not have the reputation, following, and abiltiy to charge prices that they do without the speakers being incredible. Is it possible the speakers were not set up right? Was I expecting to much? Will it be way different in my home? The speakers he has haven't been used very much. Will they improve greatly after the break in period? Please tell me that I'm just crazy, IDK. What am I missing? I really want to have a nice speaker set up, and Klipsch seems the way to go, I'm just worried that after spending all the money that my wife is pissed at me for spending, she'll say something to the effect of, "these sound the same as the small ones we had." I feel as though I will end up getting these anyway, because I can't believe that all the AMAZING stuff I've read and heard about these is wrong. Maybe it's just me.

it's ok, and we still love you. literally half of my friends don't like my speakers ..too bright, too neutral, and aesthetically doesn't suit them. you're not a failure, and it's good you got a chance to listen to them.

i WOULD, however, try and find a local member that can audition for you. stores are notorious for improper setup, and poorly setting up speakers they really don't care about selling. if you can find someone that has lovingly set them up in their home to try out a bunch of different material you might change your mind, or confirm your first impressions. sorta like getting a 2nd or 3rd doctor's opinion.

• Moderators

Its all good. there are a lot of factors that determine how they sounded. room acoustics being one of the biggest factors. maybe someone in the forum lives close that would be willing to give you a demo. I liked the rf82s and believe they are very capable and great all around speakers. I was however underwhelmed with the rc52 that was paired with them. it just could not keep up but it was never intended to either.

Those stores use a humongous amplifier/switcher setup which 99 % of the sales people know not how to set up. And they possibly set everything to the flat [position which is like listening to a table model radio. Of course it depends on the store. I have seen them place K-horns up against the flat wall. I wouldn't take much stock on what you heard at the store.

JJK

Guest Anonymous

The WAF, thats always the biggest issue. My suggestion is to keep looking, someone in your area has to have a similar set up. dont give up yet. There are so many people that have that same setup your looking at on the forum that are extremely happy.

Khorn, on a falt wall, awesome.

Not everyone likes klipsch and thats ok. Looking back on the times i visted bestbuy to listen to klipsch even when they carried the reference, they all sounded good to me. After having them in my home, i notice how they just werent calibrated anything like i have at home. I am talking from crossover points to just hearing the towers with no sub, to having things just intergrated properly. You may get your speakers and hate them. Who knows? Just take the time and play around with crossovers and toe in and what not. It takes time to evaluate them. Ive noticed it takes me a good month to two months to evaluate something to find flaws and to decide whether or not my decision was good for not. You but some real awesome speakers with a great low end and they should produce a pretty large sized soundstage. You wont truly know until they are in you own home and you have adjusted your receiver.

Where are you located so we can see who's close to you? I got into Klipsch about 3 years ago and purchased a used pair of RF 7's based only on what I had read about them, but that seems like so many speakers ago. If you don't like those, I'm sure we can reel you in with something else; this site is like a really sticky fly trap that costs a lot of money so you're being smart by treading carefully.[:P] Welcome to the forum.

i WOULD, however, try and find a local member that can audition for you. stores are notorious for improper setup, and poorly setting up speakers they really don't care about selling. if you can find someone that has lovingly set them up in their home to try out a bunch of different material you might change your mind, or confirm your first impressions. sorta like getting a 2nd or 3rd doctor's opinion.

Well said. [Y]

The rep was running the speakers off a receiver, not the same as mine, but similar. I was hoping for that movie theater(ish) experience, and it just wasn't there.

I turned the volume up to -5db, which is about how loud I turn up my receiver at home, using my tiny little Yamaha satellite speakers, and I just didn't get that powerful, room filling, incredibleness, that I have been told that speakers of this caliber provide.

I tried them first with just the fronts, and center, and then tried them with a sub. The center was somewhat loud, a little sharp, and the towers were okay. I felt like if I turned it up more, the center would of been too sharp, and the rest of the sound would get lost.

Can you describe the room that they were in: height, width, length?

Were there acoustic panels on the walls/ceiling?

What kind sub was running? Where was is located?

Where were the front speakers located in relation to the front wall? Were they backed up against the front, or were they placed out on the floor in the room? Were there other speakers located right next to the Klipsch speakers. If so, were they flush relatively on the front face, or were the other speakers pulled out in front of the Klipsch's that you were listening to?

Can you describe the receiver used? Model and/or brand?

I really want to have a nice speaker set up, and Klipsch seems the way to go, I'm just worried that after spending all the money that my wife is pissed at me for spending, she'll say something to the effect of, "these sound the same as the small ones we had." I feel as though I will end up getting these anyway, because I can't believe that all the AMAZING stuff I've read and heard about these is wrong. Maybe it's just me.

Can you describe the same information for your listening room/HT? These apparently small things begin to add up and make a huge difference - trust me. [;)]

Chris

@ cask05

The demo room was bigger by about 3ft each way, than the room in my house, The ceiling was about 10 feet or so high. My ceilings are about 15 feet high and my room opens into a dining room in an L formation. The demo room was your normal listening room, lots of speakers everywhere, with the rf82 about 6 inches or so from the wall. The sub was in the back of the room. They had some smaller speakers in front and to the sides of the towers. They weren't completely buried, but there was about 4 different towers in the area of both rf82. No sound panels, but I won't have those at home, and the receiver was a Yamaha. Not sure of model, but my model is a Yamaha rxv_671. My room is about 19x12, listening area about 13x12. I've heard Yamaha isn't the best with these speakers for music, but I plan to use this system primarily for movies/sports. This place does have a 30 day return option, but I stupidly forgot to ask about restocking fees. I also was hoping to buy online, because they're about $500 cheaper. I guess I could try them from store than buy online, but them I would feel like a real scumbag. Guilty conscious of mine

No sound panels (in the demo room)

This means that the room probably wasn't set up as a for-purpose listening room.

Your listening room of 13/12 is not large: if it is too bright or you have speaker imaging issues, you might want to put something on the walls like tapestries, etc. to cut some early relfections a bit. This can be done tastefully and easily. YPAO will probably work even better with a little bit of absorption in room.

High ceilings help a lot - your 15 feet ceiling will be a big advantage.

Chris

You need to buy the speakers and if you don't like them take them back.Yamaha makes no speakers I would even own so I can't comment on them.You are not going to be able to tell about a speaker without having it in your listening room, there just is no other way.Most of us base opinions on having had lots of gear over many years, it's what separates us from those that are happy with anything.In other words, if it's worth caring it's worth the time and effort to audition at home, good luck.

I'm just worried that after spending all the money that my wife is pissed at me for spending, she'll say something to the effect of, "these sound the same as the small ones we had."

Sometimes you just can't win that fight.

My wife has a little pair of speakers that she had with her mega-stereo. These speakers are about 10" high, maybe 5/6 inches wide. Having never looked, I suspect they have 4" woofers in them, 6" tops.

At the time I had a pair of LaScalas laying around.

She insisted the little plastic molded speakers sounded just as good as "those big ugly teenager speakers"

Really??

[:^)]

Guest Anonymous

I'm just worried that after spending all the money that my wife is pissed at me for spending, she'll say something to the effect of, "these sound the same as the small ones we had."

Sometimes you just can't win that fight.

My wife has a little pair of speakers that she had with her mega-stereo. These speakers are about 10" high, maybe 5/6 inches wide. Having never looked, I suspect they have 4" woofers in them, 6" tops.

At the time I had a pair of LaScalas laying around.

She insisted the little plastic molded speakers sounded just as good as "those big ugly teenager speakers"

Really??

Huh?

Apparently my wife and dogs have been hanging out in knoxville..