Grounds for Divorce?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

So i was driving back home from a short trip with my wife, and she says to me. "i think i'd like to get one of those small Bose Systems for the kitchen". I think i threw up in my mouth.

I'm thinking thats almost grounds for Divorce?

Guest Anonymous

Then it turned into a long winded discussion on Sound Quality, vs cost. We also discussed he relationship between people who own and collect Klipsch, and Bose...

Best to give her what she wants and pretend to be wowed by it. Play dumb dumb and let her take you to listen to what she wants and then say wow, those will sound great in your kitchen.

I completely agree with speakerfritz.

Domestic tranquility at ANY cost supersedes ALL other considerations. PERIOD. If that's what she wants bite your tongue, whip out your credit card, and make it happen. She's not listening "critically" the way you do she just wants "background noise". Bose hardware excels at that task.

OK... Let's look at it another way... Having her own little stereo to play be it Bose or whatever means she won't be futzing with your system. In my book that's worth the cost of admission.

On the other hand I have 2 ex-wives and more ex-girlfriends than I care to count so what the $%^& do I know.

Guest Anonymous

No kidding, Well its all good, she doesnt really have a space for one at this time. If she truely wanted one, i'd buy it. BUT, if i ever did get one, i'd never admit it here...LMAO

After 15 years of blissful marriage, she pretty much lets me do what i want with my system. Which reminds me, My last klipsch order took exactly 21 days to arrive, Wednesday it will be 21 days for my Jubilee order. Man longest 21 days ever...

• Moderators

Not really grounds for divorce because lets you have what you want, it's the only reason.

Take her to go listen to what she wants then let her listen to others that cost about half of that which will be nice little radios and let her decide. The blose or the other model and new shoes for the same cost ?

I wouldn't admit it either.

My only two problems with blose is they do not give spec's on anything (everyone else does) and the cost compared to the quality.

Hey, Turbox,

Does she want something Bose, or does she want something small?

A much better alternative to Bose in the "small" category might be one of the Klipsch Gallery Airplay. Wireless control with her iPhone, small footprint, can be taken to other rooms or outside, if desired, AND, I'm told be friends in Indy that it sounds fantastic.

http://www.klipsch.com/klipsch-gallery-g17-air

Guest Anonymous

i was at my specialty store the other day and saw some decent Yamaha stuff too. Trust me, i'd talk her into something other than a bose, that cost 1/10th the price.

I agree that Bose marketing has been extremely successful, enabling Bose to have top of mind awareness (TOMA) among consumers, which permits Bose to command premium prices. That doesn't mean Bose products are no good, just over-priced, especially to those who prefer Klipsch.

My 85 year-old mother-in-law has a Bose Wave Radio/CD, as well as a KLH Model Twenty One. She loves them both and wouldn't trade either for anything requiring cables to connect multiple components. To her, the music is more important than the hardware.

Her Bose sounds very good considering the small footprint and ease of operation. Is it over-priced? Certainly to you or me, but not to her.

Years ago my late uncle asked for advice about replacing a cheap boombox he used to listen to classical music. I suggested a Bose Wave Radio/CD, but he balked at the price.

Instead, without consulting me, he ordered a large complete Kenwood system (separate integrated amp, tuner, CD player & large 3-way speakers) from Hammacher Schlemmer (HS). I never asked what he paid, but I'm sure it was more than the Bose would have been. HS isn't J&R Music World or even Crutchfield.

To make matters worse, HS didn't send the speakers. Some numbskull from his church sold him some cheap computer speakers to go with his high powered Kenwood system. Fortunately, almost a year later, I was able to shame HS into sending the correct speakers.

The remote looked like the cockpit of a 747. It was not a system suited to a nearly blind geriatric music fan with zero Hi-Fi-/audio experience. The simplicty of the Bose would have been far better.

The Kenwood system was very good. It would've been the envy of most in a college dorm. It was not the system for my uncle. The remote and the separates had more buttons than a British Gypsy.

While typing this I was interrupted by a phone call with my brother. He's looking for a dock for his iPod. He's torn between two Bose models. I suggested he audition others from Klipsch, JBL, etc. He said he would, but we both know he'll buy a Bose.

Audiophiles are a vanishing breed. It's already nearly impossible to audition speakers that respect the laws of physics in a retail establishment. The current generation of music fans listens through ear buds and car audio. HT will either be the salvation or executioner of 2 channel Hi-Fi.