Cinema F-20 build thread

CECAA850

errand filled morning. she's starting to dilate

So, is that information considered an errand, or was that the Doctor visit? LOL, I'll bet you're excited and can't wait for the day. Keep the bass pumping from day one so the baby learns to sleep while your listening habits remain constant.

hehehehe, i'll never tell. and without question, i'll be maintaining my listening levels - i've been forcing my wife to come enjoy content at appropriate listening levels (read: LOUD) as a proactive measure while in utero.

life will change, but the enjoyment i find in life does not just go away.

• Moderators

life will change, but the enjoyment i find in life does not just go away.

It's about to get even better, then after a bunch of years it will be a roller coaster, up and down for the next 20+ years. [:P]

But it will be worth it all, there is nothing else like it, Good luck to both of you. [Y]

And yes there is no reason to keep the house quiet, the love of music is one of the best things you can give, and it will last their whole life. [G]

• Like 1

ha - i'm both nervous and excited.

and i absolutely agree. my dad is directly responsible for my ecclectic and deep love for music. i had him come over and listen to pink floyd - DSOTM after getting the new sub dialed in, one of his favorites and an album he loved introducing me to.he had this big cheesy grin on his face and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. i was a proud son/speaker geek. :)

• Moderators

ha - i'm both nervous and excited.

It can happen any day now Dad.

You can only imagine how your wife feels,[:o] she has another thing to deal with that I would guess kind of hurts. [:'(]

One thing you have to remember when your Dad was younger there were NO subs, you only had the bass your speakers could reproduce.

• Moderators

I didn't know, so i looked it up, it was much earlier than I thought.

"The first subwoofers were developed in the 1930's to add bass response to home stereo systems. Subwoofers came into greater popular consciousness in the 1970s with the introduction of Sensurround in movies such as Earthquake, which produced loud low-frequency sounds through large subwoofers. With the advent of the compact cassette and the compact disc in the 1980s, the easy reproduction of deep and loud bass was no longer limited by the ability of a phonograph record stylus to track a groove,[5] and producers could add more low frequency content to recordings. As well, during the 1990s, DVDs were increasingly recorded with "surround sound" processes that included a Low-frequency effects (LFE) channel, which could be heard using the subwoofer in home theater systems. During the 1990s, subwoofers also became increasingly popular in home stereo systems, custom car audio installations, and in PA systems. By the 2000s, subwoofers became almost universal in sound reinforcement systems in nightclubs and concert venues"

• Moderators

I didn't know so i looked it up, it was earlier than I thought. They said subs started in the 30's but never became really popular until the 70's. I didn't know about them, that's for sure.

I tried to post a piece of the what it had to many links so it's being moderated so it many pop up later ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subwoofer

• 2 weeks later...

she's starting to dilate, but still no baby at this point

I thought your were talking about the sub...but I recall it's already there! [:o]

Congrats, bud. Those without children have no clue. One's perspective on EVERYTHING changes, and for the better.

Your wife changes immediately. My personal and also observed experience is that the morphing of the guy from sperm donor to father is a bit more gradual and is something you suddenly recognize after a period of time.

It's sealed the first time there is any sort of threat to your child and the full sense of "...touch my child and somebody gonna DEAD!" fills you from toes to nose.

Dave

• Moderators

Your right Dave, and he will quickly find this to be true and much much more, his life just changed forever.

But to be honest I'm glad I am closer to the other end, Grandkids are much more fun and I seem to appreciate it all more now.

I have been VERY lucky.

Your right Dave, and he will quickly find this to be true and much much more, his life just changed forever.

But to be honest I'm glad I am closer to the other end, Grandkids are much more fun and I seem to appreciate it all more now.

I have been VERY lucky.

emmm so is F-20 code for creating grandchildren in a Cinema, a system that dates back to the 1930's but has become recently more popular.

emmm so is F-20 code for creating grandchildren in a Cinema

Creating children is not something you would want to do often but you can practice so you will be ready.

we practiced A LOT to get this one. [6]

Please also know that I will be posting a photo of my infant in the mouth of the sub once we get home and settled in. i simply think it would be improper NOT to.

This is a taller version of my coffee table sub, which is a tapped horn with a LAB12 driver. This is about 6" thicker with the same footprint.

Mine goes down to 15Hz. with room gain in my sweet spot. I haven't tried an efficiency measurement, but how efficient is an F-20?

This is a taller version of my coffee table sub, which is a tapped horn with a LAB12 driver. This is about 6" thicker with the same footprint. Mine goes down to 15Hz. with room gain in my sweet spot. I haven't tried an efficiency measurement, but how efficient is an F-20?

Do you have a pic or drawing of the insides?

• Moderators

Please also know that I will be posting a photo of my infant in the mouth of the sub once we get home and settled in. i simply think it would be improper NOT to

Maby when she starts to crawl but until then I think Mom may not be happy about that, there funny like that sometimes. [;)]

Do you have a pic or drawing of the insides?

I ran my wire on the opposite side from where this guy did it to keep it short, but this is the one I built..........super easy.............30x60 dimension, just like the F-20, but completely different design................18- foot long tapped horn.

post-22904-13819691960758_thumb.jpg

Thanks, that's the one I thought it was. I was either going to build that one or the F20 for thaddeussmith. We settled on the F20. I believe it was because the F20 didn't need the recomended inductor and the driver was less. I'm going from memory though as the decision was made over 6 months ago.

Maby when she starts to crawl but until then I think Mom may not be happy about that, there funny like that sometimes. Wink

Mrs. Smith: " OMG honey, look she's crawling!"

Mr. Smith: " Ummm, actually hun she's helping me check for my sub location"

Congratulations!

Thanks, that's the one I thought it was. I was either going to build that one or the F20 for thaddeussmith. We settled on the F20. I believe it was because the F20 didn't need the recomended inductor and the driver was less. I'm going from memory though as the decision was made over 6 months ago.

Well it's the same footprint laying down, and having a larger cone area helps, and a front loaded horn only. I'd be curious about the comparison, although, since my TH sub rocks the house, I'm sure the F-20 has similar performance in many regards.

BTW, I don't use an inductor with mine, it's BS. It doesn't roll off the high end at all and messes up the response of "the good part" more that it should, so me buying that recommended inductor was a waste of time and money.