REAL Chef(s) ONLY Recipe Thread!

Mallette

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't have a pix handy, but I picked a MAJOR cast iron wok out of a trashpile in Singapore that I still use and love. Many of the food stalls used these but they were pretty hard to come by in stores. Most of the "better" new ones were Chinese hand hammered steel and quite nice...but the cast iron really provides for even heat and, of course, seasons beautifully.

Dave

• Moderators

Forget a pic, I want video of a white man dumpster diving in Singapore!!!!!!!

Really, you know you have been around when you even went dumpster diving in different countries, how many people can claim that ! [:P]

• Moderators

The disk idea is great!!! It's also better than the "mild steel" woks. Thicker metal holds heat better, and the steel is a hardened/ high carbon steel which is less prone to warpage and becoming brittle. Great idea!

I wish I could claim I thought of it but nope, this is where I got the idea, different styles and even some recipies and pic's of cooks. The people on this forum are as far off the deep end as on this forum, but about cooking/smoking.

The discada section..

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=54&sid=73b24de0c7a55bd60132da13ea9991ee

The disk idea is great!!! It's also better than the "mild steel" woks. Thicker metal holds heat better, and the steel is a hardened/ high carbon steel which is less prone to warpage and becoming brittle. Great idea!

I wish I could claim I thought of it but nope, this is where I got the idea, different styles and even some recipies and pic's of cooks. The people on this forum are as far off the deep end as on this forum, but about cooking/smoking.

The discada section..

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=54&sid=73b24de0c7a55bd60132da13ea9991ee

I gotta try the disc idea..... sounds like it would work very good. Got nice stainless steel electric wok which is good... but bottom is flat. Not good.

Don't have a pix handy, but I picked a MAJOR cast iron wok out of a trashpile in Singapore that I still use and love. Many of the food stalls used these but they were pretty hard to come by in stores. Most of the "better" new ones were Chinese hand hammered steel and quite nice...but the cast iron really provides for even heat and, of course, seasons beautifully.

Dave

Of course. Who else but Dave would go dumpster diving in Singapore.

Is my memory just cloudy. But I remember Moms very well seasoned cast iron skillets being very smooth. New ones, supposedly pre-seasoned and ready to use are ROUGH by comparison. Of course hers were OLD I think when I was a kid. Can't find them at brothers. Don't think kitchen stuff put in auction. Gotta watch auction people they will sell every thing you don't tell them too. And well, NOT IN SALE sighns sometimes, somehow fall off, probalby by shady attendees.... sold a DAMN nice workbench I had made for 4-H project for $2.50 at Dad's estate sale. NOT IN SALE sign was duct taped to it. Found on floor later. Was leaving for brother or would've hauled it home Double A/B 3/4" plywood top.... waterproof outdoor kind of red poly or something recommended by neighbor who ran local paint supply for decades and was source of materials. Not even sure his store (Masure Is Good Paint was paint and finish brand > 30 years ago) carried plywood. Had it ripped in half for top. Hand chiseled double 2 x 6 (or 2 x 4) legs where required. Not the best chisel work but built like a brick outhouse. And like brand new. AUGH! Somebody also lifted paperwork including manual and bill of sale for potatoe grading equipment Dad and Grandpa bought new around 1950 I think. Couldn't give away the equipment. My brother has had a couple of museums interested but still in the "potatoe shed". So much cooler with the doco that disappeared. Silly us thought it should go with it. Should have kept it in house and then given to purchaser if could find them. Sold a working vintage potatoe planter to somebody who was going to use to plant potatoes. Had a spare for parts. Probably still worked with a bit of penetrating oil. Last time we planted a few acres of potatoes. Nothing came up. Used some leftover but some seed potatoes. Dad had never seen anything like that. No idea. Figured moles or ground hogs must have eaten the seed potatoes. But 3 to 4 acres (much scaled back) . Probalby operator error. Older brother drove the tractor. I ran the planter. Manual. Old tractor seat on back. I must've done something wrong but nada. Couldn't even find rotted remains of seed potatoes. That was the last time we used it.

The spare was probalby purchased for scrap. Most likely the transplanter was also but may have been bought to use. Also pretty good shape.

Had iron wheels with old tractor tire wheels bolted on. Not sure if before rubber tires common but expect bought when rubber was rationed for war?

No idea who bought potatoe digger. The new 2 row that was in pretty good shape. Old single row.... well some parts good. Other junk. Buried in 6 to 12 inches of dirt and probably manure on top of concrete shed floor. lol

If I'd have heard of the disc idea, I'm sure we had a few that had been replaced sitting around. But probably sold for scrap. But may still have one. My brother had an old organ tube amplifer in "corn" shed. A 100 foot chicken coop biult in about 1950. Thankfully got out of chicken biz when I was young enough I can't remember. The old school wooden boxes. Chickens allowed to run around in coop. Probably outside I suppose. Today they would be called free range. Didn't upgrade to automated hen house... thank God, the stench is still there. Got out of egg business for Grade A large went for 75 cents a dozen. Wholesale.

I have cousins who farm. I'll have to ask them for a used scrap metal disc. After a bit of use. Very well polished smooth though may be coated in rust if sitting in shed or in implement grave yard. Need to get some sleep. Sorry for brain dump but this is much less expen$ive than couch time as therapy. Hopefully not totaly incoherent as muscle relaxers for arthritis (ankylosing sponylitis and more common osteo arthritis) are kicking in.

For a short time there was an “all organic” restaurant locally.

One of their “signature” dishes was a bed of baby greens topped with yellow fin tuna that had been cured “ceviche” style in lemon juice, lime juice, and rice wine vinegar. Dressed with EV olive oil and just a touch of balsamic vinegar. It was served with a small loaf of “in house” baked whole wheat bread sliced, toasted, and brushed with olive oil and crushed garlic.

O… M… G… It was just wonderful.

I’ve been trying ever since to replicate that dish but to date I haven’t come very close yet

Yet being the operative word here... Big Smile

Our youngest daughter did pretty strict organic dieat since before Thanksgivein (her fist pies, organic pumpkin and apple, whole grain orgain flour in crusts) Not the prettiest crusts but nice ... especially using whole grain flour. And tasted much better than they looked.. And they looked pretty darn good.

Didn't help the migraines but she lost 25 lbs and her hereditary shakiness got better and she felt better. Kind of more normal diet last few weeks as all organic is expen$ive but even big chain restaurants getting more and more and all natural . Yeast does seem to trigger migraines, but she still gets them avoiding yeast so I'm not so sure its the yeast or something used with it. Most prepared grocery store foods (soup comes to mind). Many organic foods have yeast.... ugh.

Finally tried local Japanese steak house. Only people there an older (than me anyway) Japanese couple. We had intended to eat CHEAP. That backfired. But a LOT of freshly cooked veggies and chicken which Dawn and Alea ordered and steak which I ordered. I got the steamed rice, passing on the fried which was $1.50 more but friend at table with egg and "secret ingrediant" spices. $50 with good tip. Dawn's chicken also feed her and me for lunch next day. Alea and I ate most of ours except I ate around cabbage (can't stand it, and it doesn't like me much better) and Alea had a bit of fried rice. I think one could feed three. 2 definitely. So very affordable for the QUALITY and AMOUNT of food. Probably not organci but might be pretty close but hard to go wrong with fresh food cooked at table with very few spices and oils. And little butter for flavor. And VERY tasty.

We might not be frequenet regulars but may now be Alea's first choice. But 3 dinners can easily be 3 plus 3 lunches. 1 could feed the three of us. So great value though we set out shooting for closer to $20

I have a MUI France Mach 4 mandoline sitting in the pantry that's never been used. The last GF just HAD to have one and then promptly never used it. If any you guys would like to have it I'd be happy to send it to you for the cost of shipping it. I'm never going to use it

I WILL dust it off before shipping. Big Smile

For shipping I'll take it. See PM

Holy julienne fries Batman. This labeled professional 18/10 stainless... one purchaser's best price was $79.99 One owner complained of feature that it's easy to jam slicing potoaes. Thinly sliced potatoes. Dang it we gave away our Fry Baby or Fry Daddy. May have to get a new noe or turky fryer and fry up some Klilpsch Chips (remember those? Served a Pilgrimage 2007 - cheff said he fried FROZEN sliced potatoes after thwwing, patting dry, and sprinkled with Tex-Joy steak seasoning. Very good stuf. The low sodium is very good. Gonna have to try that. Or fry in dutch oven on stove tope. mmmmmmmmmmm

Same brand sold on Amazon now for $48.99 MSRP 69.99 Not sur of model. Here's

r - might want to watch this a few times... after reading the manual if included. It looks sooo easy to use in video though may be newer model?

Here's a Mach 5 PDF.

I'm assuming our ne wMach 4 also has safter holder? But is considered professional grade, or at least labeled as such. Only quick search for Mach 4..

Miu web site has Mach 3, Mach 5 - ? manuals. Maybe the Mach 4 is a bit off. One user hated it. Another loved it. But no pic. Didn't look too hard. But he Mach 3 PDF and Mach 5 look pretty serious slicer with required safety holder etc..... Maybe person hating it didn't learn how to use. Being pro grade may take some practice to use. Maybe I should get safety glove. Made in China maybe unhappy owner got one that shouldn't have passed QC?

So probably way advanced for me. But should be able to slice all kinds of things really thin with a bit of work and practice. May want the safety gloves to wash the blades?

Thanks again Jeff. [D]

Remind me how thrilled I was to get this for shipping if / when I slice off a couple of finger tips. [:S]

Remind me how thrilled I was to get this for shipping if / when I slice off a couple of finger tips. Tongue Tied

Fillet glove, my friend. Seriously. These things are inherently unsafe and regardless of your attention you are likely to slip at some point.

Dave

You should see me after slicing radishes for 300 ...... forget bandaids..... just cauterize your bloody stumps on the hot grill and wrap in duct tape! Lots of duct tape is any chefs secret ingredient!!!!

LOL I'm kidding......

I'm NOT kidding!!!

You should see me after slicing radishes for 300 ...... forget bandaids..... just cauterize your bloody stumps on the hot grill and wrap in duct tape!

Fillet glove too confining for you?

At least for us amateurs, I consider it a kitchen essential.

Dave

You should see me after slicing radishes for 300 ...... forget bandaids..... just cauterize your bloody stumps on the hot grill and wrap in duct tape!

Fillet glove too confining for you?

At least for us amateurs, I consider it a kitchen essential.

Dave

With my history of klutziness and family history of sawed off fingers. Mom's side.... Grandpa hacked off one at knuckle. Uncle Harry (Jr) hacked off one at knuckle. Uncle Bob Hacked off 2 at knuckle and one fingertip. Somehow Uncle Phil has all his fingers. I avoid power saws when I'm a bit overly tired or in brain dump mode.... don't get much sawdust making done. But still have all my fingers. Though my left hand and leftt thumb in particular are pretty scarred up... but not by power tools.

I probably need the glove(s) and duct tape. [:S]