REAL Chef(s) ONLY Recipe Thread!

Mallette

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

For a short time there was an “all organic” restaurant locally.

One of their “signature” dishes was a bed of baby greens topped with yellow fin tuna that had been cured “ceviche” style in lemon juice, lime juice, and rice wine vinegar. Dressed with EV olive oil and just a touch of balsamic vinegar. It was served with a small loaf of “in house” baked whole wheat bread sliced, toasted, and brushed with olive oil and crushed garlic.

O… M… G… It was just wonderful.

I’ve been trying ever since to replicate that dish but to date I haven’t come very close yet

Yet being the operative word here... Big Smile

I really just became addicted to ceviche in the last couple of years, had some last night with shrimp. My wife came back from a local grocery last night and told me she got me a surprise, it was a surprise, I had no idea they had anything like that there and it had a really good taste.

She also got me some fresh tuna, I must have done something right ?

So when do we get the NEXT installment from Herr Professor Chef von Fenderbender? I wait with baited breath...(stay well clear unless you REALLY like whiskey).

Also, Coytee mentioned "...one of a couple of chefs." Assuming he meant the real deal as opposed to self-appointed, how do we shake out the other one to spill these secrets to the only thing that rivals (bearing in mind that beer, wine, and such are accompaniments, like a great dress, and not the main course), and generally preceeds, sex?

Dave

Also, Coytee mentioned "...one of a couple of chefs." Assuming he meant the real deal as opposed to self-appointed, how do we shake out the other one to spill these secrets to the only thing that rivals (bearing in mind that beer, wine, and such are accompaniments, like a great dress, and not the main course), and generally preceeds, sex?

I believe TheEar also swings a mean cleaver?

So when do we get the NEXT installment from Herr Professor Chef von Fenderbender? I wait with baited breath...(stay well clear unless you REALLY like whiskey).

Dave

Here we go.....

Braised short ribs in Porter and figs, with goat cheese polenta

This only works if you have a good butcher to make you nice "english cut " short ribs..... nice and meaty on top of the bone with good marbleization.... Dry the short ribs and brown them in 2-3 tbsp good oil in a thick cast iron or enamel pan (le cruset, ducth oven etc.) with a good carmilization on all sides...... remove from the pan and season with a rub paste made from kosher salt, fresh black pepper, ground ancho chills (smoked paprika will work), chopped fresh thyme, chopped garlic, dash of dijon.

As soon as you remove the ribs from the pan add 1 diced carrot, 1 diced small onion, 1 diced parsnip, 1 diced fennel bulb....saute until light brown and stir in 3 tbsp AP flour and saute on low for 2-3 min to toast the flour a bit. Add two bottles of a good porter or stout (sam adams honey porter works), 1 quart chicken stock, 1 tsp tomato paste.

stir like crazy with a wooden spoon to disolve all the "roux" flour, and place short ribs back on top. Add one cup of halved dried figs, cover and cook in a preheated oven ate 275-300 for 2 hours or untill the meat is fork tender.

remove the ribs and spoon off any fat that has floated to the top.... reduce the "sauce" for 5 min while making the polenta...

2 cups chicken stock brought to a boil and stir in one cup med corn meal for polenta... add 2 spoons of butter and 2-3 spoons of goat cheese, salt and pepper to taste.

spoon the polenta in the middle of a large soup dish or plate, place one or two short ribs on top and cover with the porter fig sauce....

stick to your ribs!!!!!!!!

eat and drink the other four bottles of porter!!! :)

I just like a bit of sharpness to counteract the richness.... feta works great if thats up your ally, or simply squezze some fresh lemon juice ( not as subtle) into the polenta

Sharpness...can't get too much. Lanolin...don't like even a little.

Actually, I've had goat cheeses that didn't reek of the stuff but don't know how to purchase one without it. However, I have found Arahova to my taste. Perhaps that would be a good choice.

Feta

and with a teeneage son (which to food is akin to giving the Ferrari to the short bus friver...), what can be done with....

hot dogs?

Really! I'm not kidding. Must have dogs, buns, else is the problem....

You don't need a chef for the answer to that...

1. Buy a package.

2. Place in refrigerator.

3. Watch it disappear with alarming rapidity.

Been there, done that...

Dave