REAL Chef(s) ONLY Recipe Thread!

Mallette

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok ....Dave, back on track

Hows about something reasonably healthy to start off with? Salmon with a honey cardamon glaze....lots of boring salmon dishes, this one has a kick.

the marinade... and this will keep for a few weeks so you can make it early and if you make to much it will keep... 1 cup good olive oil, 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper, 1/2 tsp kosher salt, 10 basil leaves, 3 scallions, 1 clove garlic, 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, zest ( only yellow...no white pith) of one lemon..... throw this into your "osterizer" blender.... and what you get will resemble a loose pesto oil.

The Glaze.... this needs at least 24 hours to macerate.... but the longer the better... In a non stick fry pan place two shallots cut in half with the peal in tack ( small yellow onions will do) the goal is not to saute but to get a good char on the cut flesh side of the shallot/onion..... when these are very brown add to the pan, three "quarter" size slices of ginger, six crushed cardamon seeds, two red chilli pods ( more if you like it spicy), one sprig of fresh thyme, and a 1/2 teaspoon of corriander seeds. turn off the fire and just let all the aromatics get a bit toasted, but not burnt..... then add one cup of good honey, two tbsp soy sauce and the lemon juice of the lemon you zested for the marinade. bring to a light boil and cool a bit and place in a sealed glass jar. leave out over night and then refrigerate..... will keep for weeks.

the fish.... great fresh salmon is required.... the "Sea Whistle farms" scottish and irish atlantic farm raised is some of the best other than true wild i have found... if it's available to you... costco usually has very nice chillean...... so buy a side and skin it " or have the fish monger skin it for you if your a pu$$y... sorry ...**** side note, if you are going to freeze the remainder of your fresh salmon or any meat fish, I highly recomend spending the $1-200 on a food saver.... it really makes a big difference.

Cut your salmon filet into desired portions and chill on paper towels to absorb any leakage...

preparation.... this can be cooked any number of ways.... charcoal grill, hot smoker, wood plank, saute pan( if you choose this method sear it in the pan on both sides and then finnish in the oven), george forman grill... broiler...... personal choice, i prefer medium hot charcoal.

an hour before cooking take out your salmon fillet and lightly brush with the marinade and let sit out..... clean your grill very well and spray it with non stick spray ( a bit on the fish wont hurt ) place the fish flesh side down ( the skin removed side up) for two min. and then turn it still flesh side down 90 degrees to get nice grill marks. cook two more min..... flip to skinned side down , at this point lovingly slobber on the honey glaze cook for two min and rotate 90 degrees for the final 2 min ***** cook time will vary depending on thickness of fish, grill temp, doneness desired......

the goal is to get nice grill marks and hen let the glaze caramelize from the radiant heat.... in a pro kitchen we throwit under a broiler for 30 sec to achive this but the grill works fine.....

this goes great with rissoto, cous cous, quinoa, rice, mashed sweet potatoes..... if you wish you can take a 1/4 cup of the glaze and add two more lemmons, and simmer....slowly wisk in 3-4 pats of butter and you have a classic burre blanc sauce.....

give it a try

Looks like a great recipe, but I have this thing where I won't by salmon unless it's really fresh and really good. They I find myself with good fresh salmon, and think to cook it would be a sin against God, so it's gets sliced and eaten.

When it comes to "lightly cooked" (or raw) fish my weakness is ahi tuna.

I made friends with the local fish monger a few years ago. Whenever he gets in a really good block of tuna he calls me.

The last time I talked to him he told me that he had 10 or 12 local "tuna junkies" and whenever he gets a good batch between us it sells out in under 30 minutes.

D@MN... All of the sudden I'm hungry for a big chunk of really good ahi tuna. Very lightly seared please.

HMMM...

Of all of the things I've been called both positive and negative I would never have imagined being refered to as a "tuna junkie" [:D]

When it comes to "lightly cooked" (or raw) fish my weakness is ahi tuna.

I made friends with the local fish monger a few years ago. Whenever he gets in a really good block of tuna he calls me.

The last time I talked to him he told me that he had 10 or 12 local "tuna junkies" and whenever he gets a good batch between us it sells out in under 30 minutes.

D@MN... All of the sudden I'm hungry for a big chunk of really good ahi tuna. Very lightly seared please.

HMMM...

Of all of the things I've been called both positive and negative I would never have imagined being refered to as a "tuna junkie" Big Smile

Love it!!!

I do an "Amuze Bouche" (please the palette) With Raw but Cured yellowfin tuna sliced into 3/4 inch dice sitting on squares of pickled watermelon rind and wasabi air..... mmmmmmmmmm

For a short time there was an “all organic” restaurant locally.

One of their “signature” dishes was a bed of baby greens topped with yellow fin tuna that had been cured “ceviche” style in lemon juice, lime juice, and rice wine vinegar. Dressed with EV olive oil and just a touch of balsamic vinegar. It was served with a small loaf of “in house” baked whole wheat bread sliced, toasted, and brushed with olive oil and crushed garlic.

O… M… G… It was just wonderful.

I’ve been trying ever since to replicate that dish but to date I haven’t come very close yet

Yet being the operative word here... [:D]