Fine Food and Music

Boxx

• 1 month later...

Well group, I am worn out from a road trip today to Roanoke, Texas. I found a fellow that specializes in restoring old/antique fans.

He just complete a job for me on this Emerson Electric fan (a total going over with a clean-up and new wiring). It works great now.

I decided to not "restore it completely" as I wanted to keep the patina that was already evident on the fan. A good fan is a must if you live in Texas.

DSC_0051-3.jpg

Therefore, following the "drag" of driving through the Dallas area (and still having to drive through ice), I've decided to have a beverage. Please Gary don't laugh....

DSC_0050.jpg

Always serve chilled.... LOL...

Edited by Boxx
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone! I'm back but no photos organized just yet.... Boxx, thanks for getting things up and running once again under the new forum format...

I saw your box O wine..............NOTHING wrong with that at all.... You know I drink from the box on a NIGHTLY basis, and then Chris and I open the wine store and wine club offerings on the weekends...

More shortly...............and, you have some lobster tails to show and tell ??? Serve them up my man :)

........Gary

Hey there Chuck! Good to see you here :)

Dish looks great....... What are the ingredients in your spinach pie? With today's great dairy substitutes I am sure it could be replicated with no cholesterol ;)

You also have a nice range there. (brand?) Do you use your center burner ? I have a 'Lodge' cast iron griddle/griller .. It fits PERFECTLY over the center burner and have used it to do hash browns etc. I will take photos of a breakfast soon.

Have you been able to find the 'English' breakfasts Chris and I put together? We have to run BOTH cooking stations at the same time in order for all the components for the morning dish to come together HOT... :o

........g

Hey Gary,

The cook top is a Viking (did a down to stud wall renovation in 2010) and I do use all burners. Propane for fuel I'm afraid. Wish natural gas was available here in the burbs.

The spinach pie is certainly not cholesterol free but I try to follow a high protein low carb diet and have been doing so for thirty years or more. But I do cheat :rolleyes:

Fresh or frozen spinach (large bag) five eggs, large onion, two cups grated cheese. Chop or grate onion and cook till clear, heat spinach to remove liquid, combine with cheese/egg mixture. Pour into a 9" dish and cook for 50 minutes. Add sliced onion, and/or tomato slices, more grated cheese and sprinkle with paprika. Cook ten more minutes. I don't use a crust but I suppose that would work too.

I often have a slice for a quick breakfast.

Cheers!

This sounds excellent ! I may give it a try with all vegan ingredients and see what I come up with... Thanks for the photos and ideas..

Great on your Viking! Nice :) We have enjoyed our GE (not Profile line) range w/convection oven for the short time it has been here and there have been no issues thus far... It has the 18k BTU burner up front which I use mainly for cooking up pasta in a hurry!

My dad has propane, a gas range from the mid 80ies with SMALL burners (old school type-not cast). Chris and I always bring our knives (in proper transport case) and steel along with our own pans, cutting boards so that we may cook dinners while we are visiting. Its always a foodie thing. Anyway, we have found that propane burns MUCH HOTTER then natural gas. (and same with our NG range/grill out on the deck)

Those little LP burners can do damage to delicate foods if you don't stay on top of them :o But, we have managed some great dishes there and we look forward to that each summer season.

All for the moment...

........g

• 3 weeks later...

Alright folks, we are going to have to up our game on this thread.

Gordon-Ramsay.gif?t=1389963419

Let's see what we can do this weekend....

(This excludes Gary who consistently posts outstanding photo's.)

Edited by Boxx

Hey there Boxx and fellow foodies...........! Well, lets just start with this fresh off the press photo of our wine club delivery TODAY!

I also have some breakfast photos I want to post, and yes, they will be up this weekend :)

In the meantime............... I believe we already have a wine from this selection pulled out for dinner shortly...

It is..............'StarMaker' merlot :D Let you know what we think.............most all these wines are 'outstanding' as Boxx can tell you ;)

IMG_6773_zps132f6560.jpg

• Like 1

Hey there Boxx, the answer to your question is yes, someone MUST sign the FedEx 'device' on arrival... This is why I have it sent to my work place, as our secretary signs for me if I am out on the road....

Today however, me and the VP were just pulling into the shop when the FedEx truck stopped... When the sliding door opened, there was the case right there. I said loudly, " I'll sign for that." The driver said that mine was the 4th case he delivered today !!

Ok, time to but a small dinner together as the 'Starmaker' breathes for a while ((0;

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info Gary.

A signature is also required here. I was told by the wine folks that our deliveries would come on Saturday's. However that only happened twice. Now deliveries come any day, Monday - Saturday (and they are always welcome).

We do have a new "up-scale" market (from California) that has set up a couple of stores in the DFW area. The store is called Trader Joe's. I stopped by one of their stores yesterday. They have a very nice selection of "pre-packaged" foods and a moderate selection of wines. To my amazement, they had at least 1/2 of their wines (good vintage) at 1/2 of what I would normally pay. I picked up several bottles, both red and white, for less than $4 a bottle. You don't see that often. I'll be going back soon. More later, Boxx

Ok Boxx...............That 'new' store you speak of has been in OUR area for many years! Chris likes to stop in there for their trail mixes for our snowmobile trips on REAL trails (when we rode), and then aways for our trips down south in the summer to see my dad as you know... They are usually organic, so GB (my big bird) can enjoy with us during our 13 hour drive :) ...

Hope you enjoy Traders................however, Chris still prefers Whole Foods best of all.....!

OH, which of the chain super markets do you have near your home? Are they the same that are down south where my dad is ?

Here, we have some very OLD store names that have become wonderful markets.. Stop and Shop and the locally and family owned 'Big Y' ... Both have many stores throughout New England..

My dad has, Kroger, Bi Low, Piggly Wiggly etc. His favorite is Ingles which has a great wine store built in. We always stop there for wine selections to take us through our week long stay. Then of course, (for those in the south) there is 'Fresh Market' ... Dad will always take us there for ingredients we can't find at Ingles. PLUS, they are the closest thing to a Whole Foods. Lucky its only 12 miles south into South Carolina for the shopping trip.

There are also fine Asian markets as well. We always stock up on fish sauce, black bean sweet soy sauce and various rice pastas for our home made Pad Thai etc...

All for the moment..

..................g

Edited by TIgerman

That 'new' store you speak of has been in OUR area for many years!
That's interesting... Joe's is very new to us.

We used to have Piggly Wiggly in our area until workers went on strike back in the late 70's. Management didn't want to deal with it so they closed over 100 stores (in north Texas) and they never returned.

Our large stores are Albertsons, Tom Thumb, Kroger, HEB (Henry E. Butts) [Now you know why they call it HEB], Minyards. Walmart has established some "food marts" as well.

The best of the best are Whole Foods and Central Market....

Of course I go to Jimmy's. I sent you the WEB info for this store....

More later.... Boxx

Thanks Boxx for the update on markets in YOUR area..............Yeah, I guess that Piggly Wiggly is still very much alive in N.C. I counted 66 stores THERE on their website !

I will have to check out some of the stores in your area online, see their offerings...

OH, and the Starmaker Merlot was EXCELLENT! I actually took the last of the bottle down here to the studio........These wine clubs seem to know how to pick them! This wine you could sip ALONE without any food pairing... :)

......Back to RTM....

gw