Dad's Engines

bluesboy

I was looking at the thread today about the worlds smallest V-12 and thought that you guys that thought that was cool might want to see some pictures of engines my dad has built since he's been retired. This first shot is of a 5 cylinder aircraft engine. All of these engines are built from scratch all parts machined in his shop. Some are built from plans. Others are from his own designs.This first one is from a plan.

post-15074-13819689211016_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

WHOA... VERY cool. I wish I had skills like that. I have always been fascinated by the art of the skilled machinist.

I'm assuming your Dad is a retired machinist? If not he missed his calling.

No Dad always says that if he had been a machinist by trade he never would have been doing this stuff in retirement. He's a mechanical genius and just got into machining as a hobby.
  • Like 1

Wow is right.

To be clear, these are all operational as in they take fuel in and blow exhaust out?

How big are they? I was looking for something for a sense of scale. My guess is the props might have a 36" or so span from tip to tip? (verses 2")

That's amazing, he should be very proud, very talented with a whole lot of patience. Yes

Smart man, I'd like to know what he thinks of your music hobby ?

[quote user="dtel"Dad's actualy been through a music hobby phase.Back in the early sixties he built some Heathkit equipment and a pair of full range single driver speakers. So he's a pretty good guy to have around to bounce ideas off of concerning speaker projects and such.
  • Like 1

Wow is right.

To be clear, these are all operational as in they take fuel in and blow exhaust out?

How big are they? I was looking for something for a sense of scale. My guess is the props might have a 36" or so span from tip to tip? (verses 2")

Oh yeah all of these engines run. We fired up the 14 cylinder last summer and it was awsome. I'm pretty sure the diameter of the prop is around 22". I'll check on that.