Dad's Engines

bluesboy

This is a 1/4 scale model of a DeHavilland Cirrus MK-1 Aero engine. It was designed by Merritt Zimmerman and built by Don Ells in 2005-06. It has a bore &stroke of 1.062"x1.27". It displaces 74 cc or 4.5 cu".

This engine was designed by DeHavilland for the Moth G-EBKT. This engine was also built in the US under the name American Cirrus and used in the Great Lakes trainer in the 1920's and 30's.

post-15074-1381968987553_thumb.jpg

This is a model of a liquid cooled V-8. It was desighed and built by Don Ells (Dad) in 2003-05. It has a bore and stroke of 1.093"x1.ooo" and a displacement of 123 cc or 7.5 cu".

This engine is approximatly 1/4 scale of a 350 cu" automotive engine. This engine uses a pushrod valve operation and a full pressure oil system. The carburator is modeled after a Stromberg 97 that was used on 1940's and 50's Fords.

post-15074-1381968987753_thumb.jpg

Is there any truth to the Internet rumor that Don Ells machined the video camera? He's an amazing craftsman and engineer.

Actually Bluesboy created the video camera body and gearing out of an unspecified hardwood, while his father, Bluesman, turned some crystal on his lathe to make the lenses... it's powered by a small wind turbine and the recording was captured on film made from hemp, so if they're ever audited, they can smoke the evidence...

"Actually Bluesboy created the video camera body and gearing out of an unspecified hardwood, while his father, Bluesman, turned some crystal on his lathe to make the lenses... it's powered by a small wind turbine and the recording was captured on film made from hemp, so if they're ever audited, they can smoke the evidence..."

I'm not surprised.

The YouTube link is being circulated among my friends and family. Everyone is justifiably amazed.

• Like 1

Awesome video! TBHWY, I am not a huge fan of IC engines, but I literally swoon at the craftsmanship and command of metal your dad shows, I really am not sure I've ever seen better anywhere short of da Vinci.

It makes me imagine what he could do with steam...walking beams, industrial models, tractors, rail engines...etc.

He is a national treasure, and I mean that!

Regards,

Dave

• Like 1

• 1 year later...