230 percent. That means it operates above "unity efficiency" --
putting it into a category normally occupied by perpetual motion
machines.

However, while MIT's diode puts out more than twice as much
energy in photons as it's fed in electrons, it doesn't violate the
conservation of energy because it appears to draw in heat energy
from its surroundings instead. When it gets more than 100 percent
electrically-efficient, it begins to cool down, stealing
energy from its environment to convert into more photons.

In slightly more detail, the researchers chose an LED with a
small band gap,
and applied smaller and smaller voltages. Every time the voltage
was halved, the electrical power was reduced by a factor of four,
but the light power emitted only dropped by a factor of two. The
extra energy came instead from lattice
vibrations.

The scientists involved have detailed their discovery in a paper published
in Physical Review Letters, saying: "Experiments
directly confirm for the first time that this behaviour continues
beyond the conventional limit of unity electrical-to-optical power
conversion efficiency.
"

69 picowatts of light, of course, is a very small amount -- so
you're not likely to be able to read in bed with one of these LEDs.
However, it could have applications in low-power electronics,
acting as a thermodynamic heat
engine but with fast electrical control.

If it works with LED's then it should work with transmitters and a bunch of other things.

It does. MIT isn't the first at everything. There's some wicked technology out there that's been around for the last 200 years or so. Stuff that'd make the everyday engineer giggle like a school girl and soil their pants. Very cool stuff indeed...but you'll never hear about it on the news, or even at the university level most of the time.

Hint: 1st Law of Thermodymics depends solely upon what constitutes the ascribed boundary of a system. There's no law out there that says what exactly what that boundary has to be. Mother nature really doesn't care where we draw the lines in the dirt, we're still playing by her rules, in her sandbox.

If it works with LED's then it should work with transmitters and a bunch of other things.

It does. MIT isn't the first at everything. There's some wicked technology out there that's been around for the last 200 years or so. Stuff that'd make the everyday engineer giggle like a school girl and soil their pants. Very cool stuff indeed...but you'll never hear about it on the news, or even at the university level most of the time.

Hint: 1st Law of Thermodymics depends solely upon what constitutes the ascribed boundary of a system. There's no law out there that says what exactly what that boundary has to be. Mother nature really doesn't care where we draw the lines in the dirt, we're still playing by her rules, in her sandbox.

First why the chip on your shoulder. And second man up and show proof now. Don't leave us hanging.

No chip intended. Just the way my words come across sometimes. [:$] I was reffering to MIT in the context that some people might consider that institution as the only pool of gifted and well-funded intellects in the world. Articles, like the original, appear to use MIT as a buzz word of sorts to justify the merits of the content.

What would suffice as proof? There's Tesla's writing and patents, extensive research by the academic community, books, papers, numerous inventions. I can provide a few links to get you started down the trail, but really, all it takes is an open mind, a decent technical understanding, and lots of curiosity.

Links below are only a smidgen of documentaries, in English...this type of research is, and has been happening globally for some time now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=nA2KtZ45nXA

http://www.icehouse.net/john1/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3SpL7WBHDE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jnaFlq2eEo

...man up and show proof now. Don't leave us hanging.

I had a nice lengthy reply to your message on Saturday...with lots of links and good stuff, but the Moderators intercepted it. [:#]

I could try PM'ing or emailing you the info, but I'm not going to write another one-page paper, only to have it vaporize into thin air again.[^o)]

...man up and show proof now. Don't leave us hanging.

I had a nice lengthy reply to your message on Saturday...with lots of links and good stuff, but the Moderators intercepted it. Zip it!

I could try PM'ing or emailing you the info, but I'm not going to write another one-page paper, only to have it vaporize into thin air again.Hmm

Its a problem with posting more than I believe 3-5 links. I usually just not link the link but copy paste it. If it gets spam blocked, email amy

Duh. Drool.

I'm THINKING about it...

Dave

I have no idea what you are talking about

Elementary, my dear Dr. Jay. I was simply admitting that my limited physics is inadequate to form and share an opinion. I am not feeling TOO ignorant though as best I can tell the "real deal" physicists are struggling with it too.

Dave

Ah! So that's why when I eat a 12 ounce bag of Doritos I gain 3LBS [^o)]