Horrific dash-cam footage

jhoak

According to the follow up story this crash took place in Russia. None of the 4 people in the Nissan SUV survived.

As my father preached to me and I preached to my son it only takes a half a heartbeat for things to go terribly wrong. Even when you're doing everything right.

http://rmirror.net/r/videos/comments...accident_nsfl/

Very VERY sad...

Be careful out there!

• Moderators

It only takes a second

You don't realize when your riding down the highway sitting comfortably in you climate controlled car. Your actually going extremely fast compared to a dead stop and unbelievable things can happen very fast.

You don't realize when your riding down the highway sitting comfortably in you climate controlled car.

You would if you've ever ridden a bicycle. I personally know people that shouldn't be allowed to pilot a lawn mower much less a 3000lb missile. You know, the oblivious air-head types at the supermarket for example.The fact that I have to share to road with them means that when I'm behind the wheel, it's "on" like donkey-kong.

I feel for the tractor driver...There was absolutely nothing he could do with his ring-side seating. [:(]

As for the ORV..all-over as soon as it crossed the median.

Something was going on inside the cab, don't know what, but this was definitely driver error. [^o)]

It looks as if the driver of the SUV hit the slush in the middle and oversteered to get out. Had the driver let off the gas, and gradually come out, he would not have lost control. This is very sad indeed.

I am sending all 3 of my teen sons here this summer: http://www.midohio.com/School/Courses/Defensive-Driving

My oldest will be taking advanced courses, as he has raced both motorcycles and automobiles. My 15 and 17 year old will be taking the more basic classes.

AAAAAAAHHHHH....I see it now! [:S]

Driver ahead of the ORV dodges right (uses turn signal) because traffic up ahead is much slower. ORV hard on the brakes at 00:15 upsets handling. and the rest is over correction in an attempt to avoid a rear-ender.

This is known as the "bait and switch", following a vehicle into a risky situation, only to have the lead car (usually blocking all visibility) duck out at the last second into a safe lane position leaving the car behind sucking high ***. Typically responsible for muti-vehicle pile-ups.... Piss poor decision by the ORV, cost them their lives. You can see the line of slow traffic up ahead at 00:11, but the ORV driver was fixated on the local traffic situation a full 4 seconds before.

Had the driver let off the gas...

+1[Y] Would've spared their lives..too bad taking it easy wasn't the order of the day. [:(]

It looks as if the driver of the SUV hit the slush in the middle and oversteered to get out. Had the driver let off the gas, and gradually come out, he would not have lost control. This is very sad indeed.

I am sending all 3 of my teen sons here this summer: http://www.midohio.com/School/Courses/Defensive-Driving

My oldest will be taking advanced courses, as he has raced both motorcycles and automobiles. My 15 and 17 year old will be taking the more basic classes.

Before I retired from my Gov't Job, I was a massive stand for all the staff doing driver awareness course and that was not limited to only the ones that drove Gov't cars. I argued that the cost benefits went all the way to include staff not having to have conversations about other staff having an accident on the weekend.

The results were difficult to measure as there was a reduction in accidents and no one gave statistics on near misses, however, the damage to vehicles involved in accidents went down significantly for those who had done the course. So I reckon when they did crash they had washed of a lot of speed and did it softer. This resulted in an increase in only vehicle damage due to a drop in personal injuries.

On February 12, 2012, about

p.m
local time, a Nissan Navara SUV driven by a 32 year old Moscow resident
identified only as Alexander did lose control, briefly made contact
with what the article calls "a Gazelle" which I'm assuming is a make or
model name of a vehicle or a translation quirk, and then drifted into
the oncoming lane where it was hit head on by a Freightliner Big Rig.
The driver of the SUV was killed and the driver of the Big Rig suffered
moderate injuries....this was on the M-7 Highway in Russian near a
village called Omutishi in the Petushinsky district of Russia, about 190
miles west of Moscow...everyone in the suv died....disintegrated...the
biggest remain found was a leg, four people were in the suv

What it looked like later:

Fatal collisions like this happen on a daily basis world-wide. A large percentage don't make it to film. Traffic fatalities touch everyone in the U.S.

I believe the public needs to see more videos like this, with a good technical re-cap of what went wrong, no matter how taboo it may seem. Not just a display for shock and awe, and not necessarily on an audio forum like this of course, but discussing footage in a driver education course, for instance, would prove most beneficial. The video eloquently shows that at speed...if we mess up, we pay for it in blood, no matter how big the cage.

I realize I might be preaching to the choir here, but for folks like Mustang with his boys stepping up to the plate...exposure, proper training, and active discussion about the nasty side of motor vehicle transportation must be taken seriously if long term survival of family members is of any value.[A]

</soapbox>

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQoDBqGIRzgHPEyVgTBF4O

"Equivalent capacity for taking lives."