Cd players

The Dude

Any cheap but good cd players, I have more cds and no table at the time well I have a table but no phono stage yet. But I have this technics cd player that some what works but for some reason starts getting staticy. I was thinking of trying something different any ideas.

Thanks

I use my BD player. They are about as cheap and cd players and have good DAC for the most part. Everyone likes the Oppo, but a bit more money. They are suppose to handle SACD and anything that you throw at them. I have a Samsung 3D player and like the streaming features for Netflix, internet radio(V tune), music(Pandora), pic's and video.

• Moderators

I use the Bd player also, Samsung C6500, no 3D. It's fine for Cd but kind of slow for BD movies, the streaming Pandora and netflix works great, although we dropped the netflix.

I like that it does the streaming and it sounds good which is really convenient. I would guess it doesn't do as well as a much more expensive dictated Cd player but it sounds as good as any Cd player i have tried, which does not include expensive models. There very handy when they do 2-3 things you use regularly, and at a price you can live with.

I know BB has some decent BD platyers that are open box from $ 60-100 dollars. The chips in the mid price BD player are very good and spending a lot more money will not get you much more with digital equipment. What do you mean by kinda slow, lol, the movie either plays or will not play[;)].

Shoot for the late 80's, early 90's era Sony and Yamaha product. Those are the best IMHO because:

-They were powered up as soon as you hit the ON switch ...no booting [^o)]

-The single disc tray loaders opened and closed stupid fast, like guillotine fast, which made jockeying through a pile of music a snap

-Fast disc reading. It only took one or two seconds for the unit to assess the entire disc and it would be ready to play.

-Direct track access with the numbered 1-10 and 10+ buttons. Skip straight to a track of interest.

-Real-time track search (you can hear the track as you skim through it)

- Big buttons and large, meaningful displays that actually showed everything about the disc. Total # of tracks, track playing, counter, play mode, CD data

-Digital coaxial and / or optical output

All this stuff was thrown out the window in 1997 when DVD / CD combo players were gaining popularity.

If you get your hands on a older single tray-loader, I think you'd be impressed at how fast they actually were.

Oppo is the way to go. The new chipsets in these DVD players sound quite good to my ears.

I went waaay upscale on digital years ago with some Theta gear, then switched to a mid range universal player (ie a dvd player) a while back and no longer have any interest in upgrading digital anymore.

Shoot for the late 80's, early 90's era Sony and Yamaha product. Those are the best IMHO because:

-They were powered up as soon as you hit the ON switch ...no booting Hmm

-The single disc tray loaders opened and closed stupid fast, like guillotine fast, which made jockeying through a pile of music a snap

-Fast disc reading. It only took one or two seconds for the unit to assess the entire disc and it would be ready to play.

-Direct track access with the numbered 1-10 and 10+ buttons. Skip straight to a track of interest.

-Real-time track search (you can hear the track as you skim through it)

- Big buttons and large, meaningful displays that actually showed everything about the disc. Total # of tracks, track playing, counter, play mode, CD data

-Digital coaxial and / or optical output

All this stuff was thrown out the window in 1997 when DVD / CD combo players were gaining popularity.

If you get your hands on a older single tray-loader, I think you'd be impressed at how fast they actually were.

Wow, I was just coming on here, because going through some of my dad's stuff (he passed away about 10 years ago), he had an old Sony CD built in 1993 that I was wondering if it was worth hooking up. I tried to look up the model number, but I couldn't find any information anywhere on it. He was the type of guy that if he was going to spend his money on something, it was going to be something nice. I was wondering if it was worth hooking up for when I just wanna pop in a CD and don't really need the TV on. I'll give it a go, though I don't believe it had any digital outs, so it will be interesting to hear how it sounds.

I bought the Oppo after reading such great reviews on this forum. It is as good as any of them. My ony complain it is slow when loading a CD. I guess it goes through all possible file types until it determines what is on your CD. Great for multi-use, but pain-staking when you only play one type and are shuffling between CD's.

My 2 cents.... I'd abandon CD's and hook up a small laptop, an iPod, a cell phone or whatever. That way, you get speed and a better interface, and you don't have to load and unload CD's.

I think the dacs are nice but I don't have a computer in that room. From what I have read sounds like either a older style single disc player or a newer dvd/bd player. I guess I could buy one of those oppo bd players so when my ht is done I have a good bd player for it. But I don't want to spend that kind of money right know. Some one was talking about older sony disc players that their dad had, just to let you know I had one of those that sounded great but I gave it to my sister, and of coarse can't ask for it back. I will keep my eye out for a good dvd/bd player or older single disc player. Thanks guys and gals.

I think the dacs are nice but I don't have a computer in that room. From what I have read sounds like either a older style single disc player or a newer dvd/bd player.

Take a look at this NAD.

http://www.spearitsound.com/special.html

NAD C 565BEE CD player (List $800) $499 Refurbished

NAD C 565BEE CD player (List $800) $399 Used

The 565BEE not only is a fine quality CD player, it also is an outboard DAC that can be used when streaming Pandora from a TV or files from a computer. I have seriously considered pulling the trigger on one of these. My NAD C542 sounds fantastic with CD's.

Bill

• Moderators

What do you mean by kinda slow, lol, the movie either plays or will not playWink.

It's kind of slow to play after you insert the disc, it takes a minute or so to read the disc, more than normal, the reviews said it was slow and it is. Not really a big deal but it is a little aggravating sometimes.

My vote is for an HK HD7600ll, It is very fast and has buttons to easily program tracks, built like a tank weighs about (25lbs). It also has digital output and sounds very nice. I have an OPPO unit and an NAD and I prefer it by a large margin. I read that one user said it ran circles around his simaudio equinox and another user after breaking his looked long and hard for a better replacement and ended up with a jolida tube unit that was almost as good. It came out in the early 90's and was fairly expensive I think around 2000.00, one mag rag, said it was better than some 3000.00 dollar machines. They usually sell for around 200.00 now

I use a 1985 Technics and it works just fine. I have tried the Panasonic Bluray player plus about 4 other DVD players and I couldn't tell the difference except the Technics is lightning fast on loading and selecting.

JJK

I think the Technics I was using was causing a hum in one of the channels, I will let you know if that was the issue. But the reason I started this thread was because my Technics I think was causing issues and my old pioneer six disc wouldn't work. Plus I also wanted some great recommendations on cd players/dvd players and now I know. But I was researching what could be wrong with my pioneer and found two things if the motor is working which is the tracking device of some sort or just a dirty lens. Well I thought I have tried to clean the lens before and nothing happened. So I pulled it a part tonight found nothing really looking broken, so I tried with a soft cloth and wiped the lens off again. What do you know its working, I will give it another good cleaning with a disc cleaner. Now I know its not audiophile worthy and doesn't play sacd but If memory serves me it would play cdr which is fine if it doesn't as I don't have many of these any ways. But for now let the music play.

Well just a quick update the Pioneer 6 disc is still working, this thing was one of the first audio pieces I purchased when I was 15. I remember as a teenager my friends and I would try to figure out what was in the cartridges. I just might have to pick a couple up off of the bay and stock them with some of my favs.