Oppo BDP-95 SACD Questions

tmassey

The world of SACDs are looking more and more enticing to me every day. There are some extremely attractive looking SACDs out there that I would absolutely love to listen to, so I am now looking at SACD players and naturally, the Oppo BDP-95 is the first one I looked at. A year ago, I never would have imagined I would ever actually consider throwing down a grand on a blu-ray player, but I see Music Direct has free financing, making the Oppo extremely affordable for myself.

I have never owned an Oppo product before, but I have only ever heard the very best things about their legendary customer service and amazing products so I want to jump on board. Also, I have a seemingly fairly buggy blu-ray player from Samsung now that is very cumbersome to use when using Netflix and Hulu, so having a better functioning blu-ray player would be the icing on the cake for me. So I have a few questions which could sway me decision or to keep looking...

Has anyone paired the Oppo to a UMC-1 via the 7.1 analog out? Did it sound much better than HDMI for blu-rays?

Is it possible to play an SACD/CD and navigate the tracks without turning the TV on? I have an old JVC player from the early 90's I love because it takes about a second to turn on, and literally within 3 seconds of pushing the button you can have any track on the CD playing without ever even having to worry about turning a TV on. And my favorite part is the thing closes like a guillotine.

How important is it to have an SACD/CD player with more than 2 channel outs? A lot of the ones I am looking at, namely Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon is 5.1. A lot of the SACD players I am looking at only have 2 channel outs.

I am leaning heavily towards the Oppo right now, but that is also due in large part to the fact that I don't yet know what a lot of good options for SACD players are. And the more I look, it seems the more affordable and better I would be with the BDP-95. Some of these Marantz players are running upwards of 5000, and still only 2 channel.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say that I have been EXTREMELY impressed with my 93 unit... coming from a PS3 that would play sacd's, I have to say there is no comparison between the two units in that the Oppo blows the sony unit out of the water in play back and especially BD play back.I have less to say about the umc issue... as my 93 goes directly into my Pioneer sc35. I did have the 93 linked to my emotiva pre amp for a while but was NOT impressed with that mating.

One additional thing to considertis that there is a huge support mechanism for OPPO's through consumer groups.

all in all, I think you are going to be VERY happy with the 95 if you get it... there are also audiophile 95's but they run much more $$$

The world of SACDs are looking more and more enticing to me every day. There are some extremely attractive looking SACDs out there that I would absolutely love to listen to, so I am now looking at SACD players

For your first taste of SACD's, why not just buy one of these flagship Denon's. This thing is a beast and built like a tank(41.9lbs). Not a ton of $$$ to spend for your first SACD player. This Denon is one of the "must have" players only a few short years ago. Not Blu-ray but every other format.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/denon-dvd-5910-ci

Bill

Not trying to talk you out of the Oppo 95(my first choice of current players), but as an alternative, there are some incredible flagship SACD players from just a couple of years back, that are top shelf for not much $$$.

Onkyo DV-SP1000, Integra DPS-10.5, Denon DVD-3930CI, just to name a few.

Bill

The Denon BD is 41 lbs, definitely will need to convert to a rack system, lol. SACD is something I have never experienced. I need to get a good listening session with one of these setups. All I have heard about is great, except for the number of available disc. But, that I do not think will stay a problem. A SACD sounds like a really good upgrade to take music listening to the next level.

I've been eyeballing the 93 myself. It's going to be a while tho...I don't think I can justify a grand on a bluray player, universal or not...I would love to get SACD playback tho. I bought dark side of the moon only to find out that my slim PS3 didn't support SACD, booooo.

I paid $1k for a Denon 2900 back in the day, never again.I saw a 2900 for $125 a few weeks back, it's well worth that.That Denon had better build than the oppo. I am one of the few that don't really care for oppo, at least over $250........I've owned five.

Why not use HDMI to transfer the bits off the SACD disk, avoiding bass management issues? A $100 Sony Bluray player can do that.

Once reason would be if he ever wants to explore DVD-A as well. No Sony will read DVD-A.

I agree about getting a player that also decodes DVD-A, but if one were to use HDMI wouldn't a lower end player will send the same information as a high end player that plays both formats? [^o)]

^^^I don't think it really ever took off in the first place.

which one are you talking about?

I think maybe he thought there was an SACD layer on the BD.

Bill

I understand that, I was asking what about the bluray. I did a quick search on amazon but didn't see DSOTM on bluray...