How big is too big?

ChipByrd

I have a small listening area. It is only about 225 sq ft with a 7.25' ceiling. Below is a sketch of the layout. I have taken some time to treat the room well and it sounds good--super chunks in the corners, absorption at first reflection points, and am building a diffusor for the wall behind by listening area.

I have been wanting to add a couple subs, although my Fortes are now slouch in the bass department. I am exclusively two channel. Eventually, I will have questions about positioning and all the tweaks that maximize the use of two subs, but for now, size is the issue.

Since I will be buying used, it may take a while to get a match. (I have read that it is far easier to integrate two of the same subs.) There's a Velodyne HGS-18 for sale and looks like a great deal. Would a pair of those overwhelm my room? What kinds of used subs and what size would you recommend?

Thanks for the help,

Chip

post-54498-1381974069272_thumb.jpg

post-54498-1381977133911_thumb.jpg

post-54498-13819798548496_thumb.jpg

There's a Velodyne HGS-18 for sale and looks like a great deal. Would a pair of those overwhelm my room?

I do think two HGS-18's might be a bit of overkill in a room that size with the bass heavy fortes. Will it work? Yes. Is it necessary? No. Maybe a pair of HGS-15's or Paradigm Servo 15a's?

How about looking for a pair of HGS-12's or for that matter, a pair of RSW-12's?

Bill

It is only about 225 sq ft with a 7.25' ceiling.

Chip,

Looking at the room dimensions and averaging them out at say 22 x 18.5, the square footage is definitely not 225 but more like 400+ with volume being around 2950 cu. ft. In that case, two 18 inch subwoofers would not be overkill. Keep in mind, I am considering the whole room not just from your listening position forward where I think you may have used for your 225 sq ft.

Bill

It is only about 225 sq ft with a 7.25' ceiling.

Chip,

Looking at the room dimensions and averaging them out at say 22 x 18.5, the square footage is definitely not 225 but more like 400+ with volume being around 2950 cu. ft. In that case, two 18 inch subwoofers would not be overkill. Keep in mind, I am considering the whole room not just from your listening position forward where I think you may have used for your 225 sq ft.

Bill

Yes, this is my problem. With the way my room is laid out, do I consider the actual listening area, or the entire space? Another thing that makes this a tad difficult is that I will likely buy one sub at a time. Ideally, I am looking for something like a pair of HGS 12's or 15's. It's just that the 18 popped up for sale and I want to make sure it won't overpower my room?

NEVER worry about overpowering a room. That can be taken care of with the gain knob and proper calibration. The easier a sub works, the cleaner the sound. It's better to have a big sub and have to turn it way down than have a small sub and have to turn it way up.

• 3 weeks later...

I know how big is so small its worthless. I have Forte's in an open livingroom, and the cheap 12" KLH 125w sub that was fine with my old 88/1w speakers doesn't work worth a hoot with the Forte's at any spl. I haven't really beat on it to try and get a decent blend because its so far off I consider it hopeless. I have a 2x12" I plan to give a try soon, but I'm thinking it may take something more. The 2x12 is a single push/pull cabinet, I don't agree with the stereo sub idea as a general solution, only as a possible response to a special situation or room.

Forte's have a nice extended response, which makes me wonder what your goal is?

For me I want some sub sonic shaking for movies, and I am undecided on exactly how I will use a sub in normal two channel music.

my thought is no sub is to big, Although the Velodyne's might be a bit overkill for your room. Ask yourself this question, will your gear always be in this room? You might move it to a larger space. As someone previously mentioned, you can turn down the gain, and calibrate the sound to your ear, and your good to go.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Too big is when they start shooting at you.............Big Smile

Have a few neighbors that shoot around here. Someone was shooting a LOUD broom today. Never heard of anyone getting shot at though. Mostly when the neighbors dogs won't stop barking. Or maybe a little meat? I don't know as the deer are like pets to me around here. It would be kind of hard to call it hunting for me to shoot one in the front yard...................[;)]......Taz