OT: computer and HDTV question

Daddy Dee

OK, I'm late to the party on HDTV. Don't even subscribe to any cable or satellite service, and may not yet. What I'm considering is using a HDTV for a large monitor for a laptop. My question is: Do I have to have a TV with VGA input? The laptop has HDMI out. Will HDMI deliver computer video signal to the HDTV in the same way, like plug and play? Any help appreciated.

depending on the monitor you choose... you may be bale to do it wireless.

if you are getting it for comp usage, I might suggest a non plasma unit as plasma will sustain burn in. if you are getting for the best picture... get plasma.

depending on the monitor you choose... you may be bale to do it wireless.

if you are getting it for comp usage, I might suggest a non plasma unit as plasma will sustain burn in. if you are getting for the best picture... get plasma.

Burn-in isn't inevitable with modern sets. I've used a 50" plasma as a computer monitor daily for over a year and a half without any permanent screen damage. Be careful with the set when its young and you're fine.

Just make certain that the TV supports 1080p (progressive scan) format, not just 1080i (interlaced). Nearly every new TV does, but if you buy one used be aware that some of the older TVs only supported 1080i. That said, a TV can make a very nice 1920x1080 monitor.

First of all "burn-in" with plasma TVs is long since a thing of the past. The recent models do show some "residual persistance" but it goes away as soon as something else is displayed. I've had my LG 50" plasma for almost 3 years and there is absolutley no "burn-in" at all in spite of being left on a static image (my HTPC) for hours and hours.

Based on my experience I recommend getting a TV with a VGA input. I tried a number of different HDMI video card solutions and always had really bad overscan issues. It wasn't util I went back to a VGA connection running at 1920 X 1080 out of the VGA port that I got a correctly proportioned image on my TV. It's nice to have a "Plan B".

I think that a plasma set gives a better picture if and only if the "outside" light in the room is well controlled. If you have lots of windows or lots of otherwise outside light coming in you're probably better off with a good LCD set.

I watch NetFlix and Amazon feeds by way of a Roku box or the HTPC in my living room on the 50" LG plasma and I'm generally quite pleased with the picture. In the bedroom is a 32" LCD fed by a Samsung networked Blu-Ray player and a feed from the Roku box. It looks pretty good too.

The best picture of all bar none is what I receive "over the air" by way of a cheapo antenna from my local broadcasters.

I am not seeing what I consider the best answer here. If the computer has HDMI the then connect to the TV with HDMI. Apples=Apples. There are any number of other ways, but all involve transcoding. VGA is analog. It will work, but the results may be unpredictable and require tweaking.

Just feed it what it wants.

Dave

The problem with using the VGA input on a television is that you really have to check the maximum resolution that it will accept. Even on a 1080P model, many sets will only accept a maximum resolution of 1024x768 through the VGA port. This is the case with every Panasonic I've installed, and many of the others, which is a shame since Panasonic makes the best looking TV's available (the ST50 is an unbeatable value...). Samsungs and LG's seem to be fine, though.

HDMI is DVI with audio. I doubt people use VGA anymore as its an analog imput and most likely dead. DVI or HDMI, it really does not matter as they are the same signal.

Now the only difference is the shape of the plug. I have been using DVI to HDMI for a while from the computer to the screen and the audio carries through just as if I had HDMI to HDMI.