Speaker advice, please...

hap

We'll be setting up a smallish (14x10x8) study/sewing room. Our main speakers are Heresys drivien by a Will Vincent ST70. Perhaps not the highest of fi, but we have become very fond of the sound.

What we would like are small bookshelf speakers that have the same sonic characterists as the Heresys to use in the new room. Do any of the modern, small, Klipsch speakers fit the bill? Music listened to is mostly acoustic "Americana" or classical.

Any and all suggestions, opinions and ideas will be gratefully received.

In advance, mercì beau...

• Like 1

Any first hand (ear?) experience with any of the smaller Reference speakers?

Can "different" be expanded? Or is it apples & oranges?

Mercì beau...

BTW: I'm in a very rural area, over 2 hours from anywhere (and anywhere ain't too great...) so auditions and try-outs are not very feasible...

• Like 1

Larry, they're looking for additional speakers for a room other than the Heresys are in.

All Klipsch bookshelf speakers are two-way (except the Palladium series) instead of three-way that your Heresys are. That difference will result in different sound. Not better or worse, just different. The Reference series would be great to look into.

I bought a pair of RB-81 II's thinking they would be nice little bookshelf speakers with big sound. I was wrong. They are about the size of my Heresy's. They sound great, but I demoed a pair of Paradign Studio 20 speakers next door, and the sound was crisp and clean, as would be good for classical. Perhaps it is due to the tweeter they use. It is about a half foot shorter than the RB-81. It doesn't have the bass extension of the RB-81, but if I were using bookshelf speakers, I would definitely be using a sub anyway.

I haven't actually heard any of the smaller RB speakers.

Personally, I would find a way to keep the Heresy's. They are 3 way horn loaded speakers, and they are gonna be hard to match in a smaller and 2 way package.

It is an impossible demand to duplicate a speaker the size of an H in a book case sized speaker. That is why there is none.

I heard some ref series at pilgrimages and they were very good. Klipsch, in my view, has done excellent work on the issue of matching midrange "tractrix" horns to bass radiators. This started with the Tractix horn in the Forte II, and was carried forward to the Ref.

A related issue is the two settings which you present. The Heresy, I'd imagine, are in the equilateral triangle with a sweet spot. Versus. Very much smaller speakers up on shelves and maybe not optimally placed for listening.

So there can't be any duplication of performance.

None the less, the Ref bookshelf should do a very good job.

Some of the series are very economical and you might be able to set up a multi-speaker system in the extra room.

WMcD.

• 2 weeks later...

What is "Acoustic Americana?" Bluegrass? Folk? Acoustic guitar, banjo, mandolin, etc. may sound at their best on the Heritage line, starting with the Heresy I, II, & III, and even better with speakers that are probably too big and expensive for your room (Belle, La Scala I, II, Klipschorn), IMO. While you are unlikely to approach the sound of Heritage, you should take your favorite recordings to a showroom and listen to some of the smaller Reference line. Can you combine this with a vacation? We had to drive a very long way to find projectors to compare, so we threw in a few lakes and rivers. A Klipsch dealer drove about 50 miles in his van to deliver a Belle Klipsch (we had heard it earlier) to our home -- no charge. The Klipsch website can give you the names of dealers who can cary what you may want to listen to ... call ahead to make sure they are set up for listening. If the speakers will be mounted high up, you may want to point them slightly down at the listening position(s). Make sure the shelves are secure, and the speakers can't slide off.

If you need/want bookshelf speakers, you could also check out the Jamo line from Klipsch. I think DeanG had some of their Concert series (a C600 or C800) if I remember correctly. None of these will be as efficient as the Heresy speakers, since they don't have horns, but this may not be an issue with the right amp.

http://www.jamo.com/speaker-types/bookshelf/

Do you have a price range? Are you looking for new or possibly used/pre-owned?

Bruce

Why not go with a different sound in the different room? You have Heresys in one room, try a different type of speaker for a different experience.

If you want to spend a few bucks, try these Klipsch 17B's (3 ways):

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/monitors-klipsch-palladium-reference-p-17b-p17b-p17-natural-zebra-finish-minty-2012-10-10-speakers-61820-champaign-il

They have already come down on price once, they may go lower (Shoot for $2K and see what happens, tell them that you can get a pair of B&W 805's for $1800). But beware, you need to put these on stands, not on a shelf.

You may also stop listening to your Heresys, for a little while at least.[:|] The bigger Palladiums are great. I have not heard the bookshelf 17B's, but I can say that B&W 805's in a small room sounded amazing when I heard them, I thought that they had a subwoofer and they did not.

EDIT: Just say HDBR's response, the KG's are very nice. Serious bargain.

"You won't get Heresy sound with anything smaller on a bookshelf, but you
can get fairly close with KG2 and a small subwoofer, providing the
subwoofer is on the floor. "

I did that with a JBL 380 subwoofer an a 1KW amplifier, it sounded great.

A few posters are restating the following:

http://www.salksound.com/wp/?p=56

If you acknowledge that performance will be lower (lf, mr and hf) relative to the Heresy, there are viable solutions.

Take your pick on size and cost - Klipsch has 'em.

Chris

I own K-Horns and have owned Heresy too. I have a pair of RB-5 in my bedroom system and really like them. As others have mentioned no bookshelf speaker is going to sound exactly like the Heresy, I think it more a factor of efficiency+box size+drivers BUT the Klipsch reference bookshelf speakers certainly play loud and clear like their Heritage brothers. I am happy with mine and suspect you may be happy with them as well. Stay in the Klipsch family if you want Klipsch sound I say...Tony