Whats the deal with the $2 bill?

Turbox

Also cash register tills and vending machines are not set up for them. YMMV

It must also be what we are accustomed to. At first I thought there isn't functional room for 2's vs 1's vs 5's, but then we have pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, etc. However, all US bills are the same size and mostly the same color, while each coin has its own size and knurling or not, so those can be separated easily.

Basically, though, I don't think the $2 has a strongly rational niche -- $1's and $5's fill all the needs I have for small bills. The same for $20's and $5's for larger bills -- there are many fewer $10's, it seems to me, and I don't feel the need for a $10 if I have $20's and $5's.

The only place I've seen US $2 bills in common use is in Port Angeles, Washington, just south of Victoria across the Juan de Fuca Strait. I usually try to get a few crisp ones when I pass through there, so I can show them to anyone who doesn't believe they exist.

I don't know why they're so rarely seen. Years ago, they were thought to be an urban myth by many people.

There is a misconception that the $2 bill is rare and therefore perhaps worth more than its face value, so people tuck them away.

I think this and also that people just find them as a rare novelty and tend to save them which keeps them out of circulation. I know I have a stash of odd coins and bills I have saved away since they are a bit of a rarity.

This is the last year for the penny here in Canada, It will be removeded from production after this year. ie, there wont be a 2013 penny in canada. It should fizzle out of circulation after that. We have also moved to Polymer bills(hate em). I dont particularly like them but apparently it will save money, as they will last longer, with several security features. i did like the cotton/paper bills.

Islander, take a new 50 and put the clear maple leaf right up to your eye...look very closely...

Anyway, i just wondered what the deal was with $2 bill, i also noticed that the US money has a little color to it now.

Haven't seen a $2 bill in years. $1 coins were a complete fiasco. I wonder why we are still fooling around with pennies.

Here's what some are doing with pennies:

penny-floor-2.jpg

It's cheaper than tile, and can look pretty good.

Check this link out:

http://www.moneybagsfull.com/2010/08/getting-creative-with-pennies.html

Here is one that keeps it audio related:

PennySpeakers.jpg

Wonder how that would help/hinder the sound if I take a pair of Klipsch speakers and cover it in pennies. Maybe see if I could get that beat-up pair of RF-7s that I saw in that one thread. [;)]

Also to add, if you are bored and have a pile of coins laying around, you could use them to build some pretty cool structures.

2006-03-10-TimRead1.jpg

IIRC, using U.S. coins other than as a medium of exchange is illegal, but I doubt the Secret Service is going to swoop down on folks using it as floor covering, especially now that cents are just copper-plated zinc.[;)] Come to think of it, I've also seen coins made into jewlery, money clips and belt buckles, so...

I was at the old U.S. Mint in New Orleans last week, and the exhibits reminded me of the coins we used to use, like the 3 cent, and of course all the denominations of gold coins.

If the U.S. penny went away, I'd not be sad, but we would see a "rounding up" (never down, of course) of prices that might spur some inflation. OTOH, if the states mandated that the rounding up occured in the sales tax calculations, there might be a welcome uptick in funds for hard-pressed states and cities.