Need Advice on Removing Car Tinting

thebes

Some cop with too much time on his hands just gave me a ticket for the tinting on my windows. It's a Florida car and I've been driving it up here for over six years, but now apparently it's a problem.

What's the best way to get rid of this stuff? Seems to be stuck on pretty good.

I've got one of those hand steamers I bought for cleaning records, and come to think of it, I've got a wallpaper steamer around here somewhere. Would they do the trick?

No need to buy a steamer. All you need is a razor blade and a can of glass cleaner. Start at one corner and loosen the tint enough to grab it with your fingers. Pull the tint film off. If it tears, use your razor blade to start loosening it again. After the film is off, (it will smell vinegary) you'll notice there's a sticky adhesive left on the glass. Take your razor in one hand and the glass cleaner in the other and start to clean the adhesive. Keep the glass and the blade wet at all times. Scrape, spray, scrape, spray etc. It will come right off. The foaming type glass cleaner seems to work the best.

EDIT, I missed where you wrote that you already have a steamer. Try both ways and see which is easiest.

Would you need to do all of the windows or just the front where your chauffeur sits? Either way, I'd say don't do anything - you could probably go, at least, another six years before you get stopped again.

Don't temp me. The 12 year old kid in his shiny new uniform (probably his first day in long pants) that stopped me had some electronic gizmo that actually tests the light blocking percentage of the tinting. I presume these are new toys so the kids will want to play with them for awhile.

Sounds like I'll burn myself with steam first, and the tedium of razorblades second. Thanks guys.

I'd say don't do anything - you could probably go, at least, another six years before you get stopped again.

This is probably bad advice.

I know nothing of VA tint laws but here in Florida the officer can issue either a "fix it" ticket or a citation with a $116 fine. The fix it ticket requires the recipient to report to the nearest station of the ticketing agency be it local, county, or state for inspection within 30 days. If the offending problem is solved the matter is dropped and the ticket expunged from the drivers record. If you don't report within 30 days the ticket automatically changes to a citation and you have to cough up the fine.

If you get caught a second time for the same violation the fine is much MUCH higher but I don't recall how much. $500 sticks in my mind but I'm not real sure about that.

An interesting twist Florida has taken is to also fine the installer. Tint installers here are required to place an ID sticker somewhere along with the tint. The last I read the fines to the installer start at $1000 and can go up from there depending on how many "illegal" installations they've done

And for even more fun here the officer can write a citation for EVERY single window in the car that doesn't meet the requirements. I drive a little 2-door hatchback. If I got popped on a tint violation (won't happen, I'm legal) I could be looking at $696 fine. My Parent's Honda Civic would be on the hook for as much as $928.

My advice... Remove the tint by whatever means necessary. Unless of course you have the spare coin to pay out big fines to your local PD.

Oh... One more thing... If your back glass has a wire defroster be very VERY careful removing the tint. It takes next to nothing to trash the defroster. Yea... Ask me how I know that.

Well it's mostly done. Used the steamer to remove the film, but unlike the video, a lot of the glue remained. One problem was the steamer has a manual button to get steam. Very awkward for this type of work, but once I taped down the knob so I got continuous steam things went much faster and much more glue came off.

Used "Dirtex" window cleaner and razors to remove the glue. Dirtex is one of several cleaning products widely used in the painting business and is very good for this type of application. For the rear window, I will try Goof Off or sudsy ammonia cleaner, because I don't want to use a razor blade anywhere back there. Most of the remaining glue on the back window is, of course, directly on the wires for the defroster and antenna.

Good advice about the rear window, by the way.

I can't understand tint laws. I have been told they are there to make law enforcements job safer. I live in Utah. We have a tint law for front windows. OK I get why police might feel safer with that, but then the legislature passed a law year before last making it legal to have a loaded, yes loaded, pistol in your center console. Makes me wonder what the real reason for the tint law is. Don't even get me started on mud flap and fender flare laws.

I would suggest brake cleaner for removing glue, we used this a lot when doing applications and it cleans without harming anything.

It does stink a little though.

I'd hate to get brake cleaner on a door trim panel.

Glass cleaner and a razor blade takes the adhesive off the glass in about 2 minutes, maybe less. I've done it numerous times, it's really not that hard.

I'll try the break fluid. Makes sense to me. Maybe even our old friend WD 40.

Say what's all these cracks about me and razor blades. I'll have you know that as a professional house painting contractor I've used razor blades from time-to-time and I've got the missing finger to prove it.