Need Advice on Removing Car Tinting

thebes

Yeh? so which finger is missing?

reminds me of working at Wrape Stave Co. in LR when I was a youngster. Turned out alot of heavy oak hardwood flooring. Everyone who worked their had their "mark" from a work place injury of one sort of another. there were a fair number of missing fingers and assorted scars. I got out of there whole with a couple of near misses.

Here, we have a law for the front windshield and front windows only, the whole back of the car can be blacked out if you want but only if you have two side mirrors (one on each side of the car for the smart A$$es who would put them both on the drivers side[:$])

The thing that they care about here is you being able to see traffic.

My car is legal but my truck which I bought used, is not. You can have SOME tint on the front side windows but not more than 50% I think (may be 30%) but my truck are about 80%. In traffic it is not too bad but if you are parking in tight places or at night, you have to open the windows to see the mirrors and keep from hitting anything.

Here, we have a law for the front windshield and front windows only, the whole back of the car can be blacked out if you want but only if you have two side mirrors

The thing that they care about here is you being able to see traffic.

We have a similar law here in TX but the given reasoning is that they want the DPS to be able to see inside the vehicle in a traffic stop.

OK I did get confused and tried break fluid on a small spot and it didn't work. Catching up on the thread I immediately went out an bought a can of brake cleaner and sprayed a liberal dose and waited for it to dissolve. It was getting a little hard to breathe with all the fumes in the air but suddenly I felt like hearing some music so I turned on the radio. There was a spark and now I'm missing my eyebrows and what little hair I had left on the back of my head.

Doesn't matter because for some reason, the music now sounds extra good. Decided to go for a spin and crank the tunes. Say what are all those blue flashing lights in my newly clear rear window? Never noticed them when the tint was in place.

Yes the fumes are a beach. The company where I was used to do the lettering of glass pylons for Telecom here at CeBit in Hannover. There were around 175 or so and that meant taking off the old lettering, cleaning with something that also removed the silicon based cleaner they were using and re lettering.

After about 50 of them (front and back) you were not sure if everything was straight or not and felt like throwing on DSOM and chilling for a while.

Hey Thebes, if they gave you a citation that will be dismissed when the repairs are shown to be done. Make sure you pay the courts fees. I received a ticket in Fairfax for a small crack in my windsheild. I went to the court showed that the repair was done and all charges were dismissed... No one told me that I had to pay court fees.... months later I found out they suspended my license.....

I would suggest brake cleaner for removing glue, we used this a lot when doing applications and it cleans without harming anything.

It does stink a little though.

chlorinated or non? Whats the difference?

Chlorinated, worse for the environment (and your lungs), works better and has a higher flash point.

I would suggest brake cleaner for removing glue, we used this a lot when doing applications and it cleans without harming anything.

It does stink a little though.

chlorinated or non? Whats the difference?

Chlorinated, worse for the environment (and your lungs), works better and has a higher flash point.

I keep buying the red can because anytime something is labeled eco friendly its most likely compromised in how its works. Also since I use it maybe once a year I think its safe enough for me. Thanks!

Hey Thebes, if they gave you a citation that will be dismissed when the repairs are shown to be done. Make sure you pay the courts fees. I received a ticket in Fairfax for a small crack in my windsheild. I went to the court showed that the repair was done and all charges were dismissed... No one told me that I had to pay court fees.... months later I found out they suspended my license.....

Yeah, I'd love to make a federal case out of this, but I'll probably just do as you advise.

Went to pay this and they want $90 so I'm going to court.

This whole law is a farce. It's different in every state, which may not mean much to you but I leave within an hours drive from six different states plus DC. Plus, do they have any kinda of certification on these testing devices, are the batteries changed as recommended etc.

The major peeve I have on this is twofold, though:

1. The rich in their limos are exempt, the cops are exempt and the government is exempt. IE the rich and the powerful get a free ride.

2. If it really is a safety issue, why just not make it an item on the annual safety inspection. Problem solved without hassling people about a law which 99% of Americans don't even know exists.

Good luck to you sir.

Tint laws are not about officer safety or the driver's vision. They're all about enhanced revenue. Just one more thing that they can write tickets and collect finds for.

There's an outside chance that you'll get a sympathic judge but my money is on you loosing the battle and you coughing up the fine plus court costs.

If I were in that place I'd strip the tint, pay the fine, and move on

1. The rich in their limos are exempt, the cops are exempt and the government is exempt. IE the rich and the powerful get a free ride.

You act surprised.

2. If it really is a safety issue, why just not make it an item on the annual safety inspection. Problem solved without hassling people about a law which 99% of Americans don't even know exists.

As you say, it's different in every state. Checking the % of light penetration on the front glass is part of the inspection procedure here in TX. Too dark and the vehicle fails.

A friend who is a pharmaceutical rep was stopped yesterday for tint that was too dark and cited. He told a doctor he was calling on about the incident and the doc told him to wait a minute and walked away. He returned with a letter stating that my friend has sun sensitive skin and that degree of tint was medically necessary. He showed the letter to the sheriff's office and they dismissed the ticket and gave him a card that said that kind of tint was OK for him. Know any friendly physicians that would be willing to help?

Anyone that gets stopped for tint could probably smooth talk the cop out of a ticket. Worth a try.

My tint was peeling and I had my car re-done with legal tint. It is not as cool in the summer (it gets really hot here) but I can see better at night with my old eyes. I live in a "Rural Neighborhood Preserve" which means that many of the streets do not have streetlights. The lower tint is actually much better at night out of the side windows.